300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car turning left on a red VS a car going straight on a red, who is at fault

Who would be at fault in the linked case.
    Driver is waiting in a left turn lane a bit into the intersection. Light turns red, driver makes a left turn. In middle of the turn a car which is going straight enters the intersection after its red and hits the turning car.
    I see two side
    1) The driver going straight ran the red light
    2) The driver making the turn should have verified it was safe.

What would the law say in this case?
    Here is the video https://youtu.be/HgAfPYoib9w (updated video with zoom)
    Last edited by ghurty; 05-30-2018, 03:47 PM.

Car turning left = blocking intersection. Car hitting car turning left running red light, failure to obey traffic control device.
    Keep in mind I'm referring to my jurisdiction only.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
      Car turning left = blocking intersection. Car hitting car turning left running red light, failure to obey traffic control device.
      Keep in mind I'm referring to my jurisdiction only.
      So both would get tickets. If making left would be considered blocking intersection, how can anyone do that?

Thanks

Comment

If you’re in a “no fault” state, then nobody will be at fault.
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Id submit a ticket for both of them.

Comment

Civil. Let the insurance company ding them. It’s harsher than traffic Court...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              Civil. Let the insurance company ding them. It’s harsher than traffic Court...
              It will certainly last a lot longer. Insurance companies can be ruthless, AND they share info!
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Yep. Much better hit.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by ghurty View Post

So both would get tickets. If making left would be considered blocking intersection, how can anyone do that?

Thanks
                  Here, if you enter an intersection before being able to make a turn you are considered blocking it. Driver's do it all of the time but it's illegal. Whether you're turning or going straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post

Here, if you enter an intersection before being able to make a turn you are considered blocking it. Driver's do it all of the time but it's illegal. Whether you're turning or going straight.
                    I'm gonna tell on myself here:
                    My dad taught me to drive, and learning to drive without getting honked at, screamed at, or shot at in Miami meant you entered that intersection to turn left so as many cars as possible could get thru the light cycle. It wasn't until a few years ago that I learned that it was illegal.....
                    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

[QUOTE=swat_op506;n6651077]

I'm gonna tell on myself here:
                      My dad taught me to drive, and learning to drive without getting honked at, screamed at, or shot at in Miami meant you entered that intersection to turn left so as many cars as possible could get thru the light cycle. It wasn't until a few years ago that I learned that it was illegal.....[/QUOTE

There is a big campaign here to not block intersections. But I agree, I'm guilty of it myself

Comment

There is an intersection that is actually an off-ramp from a highway to a local street where I live that is wide enough for two vehicles to fit side by side, but it is actually only one lane. You can turn right, left, or go straight. There is an unwritten rule that if you're going to turn left to leave enough room for those who want to go by on the right and turn that way. Officers could run out of printer paper writing tickets each day if they wanted to, but thankfully they leave that place alone. It would be a petty ticket, but is unlawful nonetheless in my State.

In the scenario from the OP, I would probably place contributing factors on both vehicles and see how the insurance companies handle it. I would hold that the turning vehicle should remain behind the stop bar until it is safe to proceed through the intersection. The one running the red light is a no-brainer.

Comment

Both at fault.
                          I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Cite 'em both for traffic control device as they both disobeyed the red light.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11077 users online. 420 members and 10657 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X