Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

License Plate Question

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • License Plate Question

    Hello guys, got a quick question for you.

    I used to live in Toronto, and recently put on my old plates from there for a car enthusiasts meet (the plate has my family name on it, which is taken here). I kept my real plate in my passenger side seat along with a philips so I can take it off as soon as the meet was over.

    Well, I forgot about it and kept it on and just took it off tonight. I go to these meets quite often and it's a pain to have to keep taking it on and off all the time.

    So my question is, what is the ticket for that if any?

    Thanks for your time.

    Alex

  • #2
    In MD you could be issued a citation for failure to properly affix registration plates to front and rear of vehicle.

    Depending on whether you had proof of registraton, you could run the risk of being cited for driving an unregistered motor vehicle.

    Also could recieve a citation for plates issued to another vehicle.

    It may be a hassle for you to keep changing your plates after a meet, but my advice is to keep doing it. You only run the risk of getting a ticket if you dont. If you do chance it, you have already been given a warning right here and now. This one may be the only one you get. Just keep changing the plates. Could save you some money.
    John 3:16

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by redbird07
      In MD you could be issued a citation for failure to properly affix registration plates to front and rear of vehicle.

      Depending on whether you had proof of registraton, you could run the risk of being cited for driving an unregistered motor vehicle.

      Also could recieve a citation for plates issued to another vehicle.

      It may be a hassle for you to keep changing your plates after a meet, but my advice is to keep doing it. You only run the risk of getting a ticket if you dont. If you do chance it, you have already been given a warning right here and now. This one may be the only one you get. Just keep changing the plates. Could save you some money.
      I have proof of registration, insurance, everything Would you pull over someone with a Canadian plate for a routine check? The plates are not registered to any vehicle and haven't been for years.

      Oh well, don't have to put them back on till Friday. Thanks redbird!

      Comment


      • #4
        Fictitious registration in Ohio. If you didn't have proof of registration, you'd also have to float a tow and storage bill after I towed you vehicle. That and you'd have a good amount of explaining to do to explain to the officer why you have expired license plates from another vehicle on your car...

        BTW, we can run Canadian registration through LEADS as easily as running a license plate from another state.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

        Comment


        • #5
          For one minute please think about what you are asking. Because its a pain to remove a couple of screws to reattach you correct plate, you want to tie up an officer, dispatcher and tow truck because you don't want the hassle of switching plates. In Florida you can be arrested, its called tag attached not assigned. There is a reason why license plates are issued and its not to inconvenience you after a meet and greet, you choose to do that by switching. I am not trying to be a *****, just trying to point out the obvious.

          By the way, what kind of car do you have?
          Patrick
          Excuses only please the one telling them!

          The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.

          Comment


          • #6
            In Indiana it would be false/fictitious registration, failure to register, or improper display of registration plate. Any could get you a ticket and tow.

            Comment


            • #7
              in NY it would be unregistered mototr vehicle and switched plates.
              IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

              "In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
              -----Louis Pasteur

              "Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

              -------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

              On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

              ------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AlexM82
                I have proof of registration, insurance, everything Would you pull over someone with a Canadian plate for a routine check? The plates are not registered to any vehicle and haven't been for years.

                Oh well, don't have to put them back on till Friday. Thanks redbird!


                Here are the possibilities.

                If I ran a registration check on them they would come back "Plates not on file", or "plates issued to another vehicle. Your license plates could/would then be confiscated pending your court date and the appropriate citation issued. If for some reason you didnt have your current tags in the vehicle, the vehicle could/would be towed. This might not be the situation you are putting yourself in, just the possibilities that might arise. I would just keep changing the plates before and after every meet. Save you some trouble.
                John 3:16

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by barr151
                  For one minute please think about what you are asking. Because its a pain to remove a couple of screws to reattach you correct plate, you want to tie up an officer, dispatcher and tow truck because you don't want the hassle of switching plates. In Florida you can be arrested, its called tag attached not assigned. There is a reason why license plates are issued and its not to inconvenience you after a meet and greet, you choose to do that by switching. I am not trying to be a *****, just trying to point out the obvious.

                  By the way, what kind of car do you have?
                  I'll be sure to be switching my plates after each meet, thanks for the warning everyone.

                  2006 SL500

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That's an interesting question, my only reply is that as innocent as this may seem to you, it is also the mentality of violent felons (worse case scenerio, of course). In the commission of their crime, they will either steal a car, or switch tags around so witnesses can give the police accurate information, but the information leads us to a dead end. I would suggest leaving the correct tags on your car. It saves alot of hassle.

                    A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

                    It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AlexM82
                      Hello guys, got a quick question for you.

                      I used to live in Toronto, and recently put on my old plates from there for a car enthusiasts meet (the plate has my family name on it, which is taken here). I kept my real plate in my passenger side seat along with a philips so I can take it off as soon as the meet was over.

                      Well, I forgot about it and kept it on and just took it off tonight. I go to these meets quite often and it's a pain to have to keep taking it on and off all the time.

                      So my question is, what is the ticket for that if any?

                      Thanks for your time.

                      Alex
                      Since you apparently live in California, these sections of the California Vehicle Code apply to your case.

                      4462. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle shall present the registration or identification card or other evidence of registration of any or all vehicles under his or her immediate control for examination upon demand of any peace officer.

                      (b) No person shall display upon a vehicle, nor present to any peace officer, any registration card, identification card, temporary receipt, license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, or permit not issued for that vehicle or not otherwise lawfully used thereon under this code.
                      (c) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2001.

                      Added Sec. 2, Ch. 697, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997. Operative January 1, 2001.

                      Display of License Plates

                      5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

                      (b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
                      Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

                      Seizure of Documents and Plates

                      4460. (a) The Department of Motor Vehicles, the Traffic Adjudication Board, and the Department of the California Highway Patrol, any regularly employed and salaried police officer or deputy sheriff or any reserve police officer or reserve deputy sheriff listed in Section 830.6 of the Penal Code may take possession of any certificate, card, placard, permit, license, or license plate issued under this code, upon expiration, revocation, cancellation, or suspension thereof or which is fictitious or which has been unlawfully or erroneously issued. Any license plate which is not attached to the vehicle for which issued, when and in the manner required under this code, may be seized, and attachment to the proper vehicle may be made or required.

                      (b) Any such document, placard, or license plate seized shall be delivered to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

                      Amended Sec. 7, Ch. 292, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
                      Last edited by SgtCHP; 04-10-2007, 11:15 AM.
                      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

                      [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        License Plates

                        Maybe I missed something, but why don't you simply register the vehicle in question, and properly display the tag(s)? In Alabama, you would be cited for switched tag, or improper tag. When you factor in the fine and court costs, it would have been cheaper by far to simply register the vehicle and display the tag properly.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PhilipCal
                          Maybe I missed something, but why don't you simply register the vehicle in question, and properly display the tag(s)? In Alabama, you would be cited for switched tag, or improper tag. When you factor in the fine and court costs, it would have been cheaper by far to simply register the vehicle and display the tag properly.
                          You misunderstand, the vehicle is registered and I do have plates for it

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AlexM82
                            So my question is, what is the ticket for that if any?
                            Well, if you were stopped by an officer who had an experience similar to mine, the consequences would be fairly grave.

                            War Story Alert

                            I stopped to investigate a car that was parked in a city park late at night. The parks were closed after 2300 hours. The car they were in had expired plates. The occupants were a male/female couple who were reasonably pleasant. They had IDs (obtained with stolen identity documents), but no registration or proof of insurance for the car. I cited the driver for the expired plate and the insurance violation. I ran the plate for wanted and just to confirm it was on the right make and model of car. It was. Had I asked for and compared the VINs, I would have learned that the plate and car didn't match.

                            A few weeks later, another officer - my very first trainee as an FTO, in fact - stopped the same people in the same vehicle. He ran the driver and up popped an arrest warrant for my citations, which he had left unpaid. When told of this, the fight was on, and it got more serious when he was found to have a concealed pistol. The calvary responded and the bad guys were taken into custody with no good guys injured. I happened to be in booking when the contestants were brought in, and recognized them. The arresting officer had found some additional (real) IDs in the car, and found that the male driver was a convicted felon for attempted murder, and had escaped from prison in Washington. His girlfriend had stolen the car (for she was also wanted), and they had stolen the plates from another junked car of the same make and model. The driver looked at me and told me that he had the gun under his thigh the whole time I had been talking to him, and if I had asked him to get out of the car, he would have tried to shoot me. Maybe he would have been successful, maybe not. You train for this kind of thing, but there is a "rolling the dice" factor, too.

                            How diligent about checking vehicle registrations do you think I was after that experience? Fictitious registration violations got cited, their plates confiscated, and their vehicles impounded, every time.

                            Have fun with your plates at the car show, but make sure you change them out before you hit the road.
                            Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              License Plates

                              AlexM82,

                              It is a shame you are not in Virginia. But, since you are over 3,000 miles away, it would appear that you are safe. Here in Virginia (as in any state), if an officer noticed that your license plates were expired, you would be pulled over. Since you now live in the U.S., the officer could cite you for Display of Invalid License Plates. Since you advised that you have your valid plates with you, the officer, after citing you, would require that you put the proper plates on before you would be allowed to move the vehicle. If you did not have your plates with you, the plates on the vehicle would be impounded and the vehicle towed, at your expense.

                              If you still lived in Canada and if the officer was to charge you, you would be taken to jail and your vehicle impounded.

                              License plate violations are one of my pet peeves. Here in Virginia, all passenger vehicles registered in Virginia are mandated to display two plates. Many people do not. When I stop them for not having them front plate or for having plastic covers over their plates, they almost always get a ticket for Improper Display.

                              As a side bar, I also just love to cite people for window tint. But, that's for another forum.

                              Dave Childress
                              Sergeant
                              Richmond PD, VA

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3987 users online. 187 members and 3800 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X