Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you allowed to make a left turn by a break in a double yellow line (see image)?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you allowed to make a left turn by a break in a double yellow line (see image)?

Are you allowed to make a left how the red arrow is showing? There are no signs at the street level that say no left turn.

Thanks
    Last edited by ghurty; 03-01-2018, 02:08 PM.

Seems legal to me, difficult to tell from the pic. Obviously yield to pedestrians on the sidewalk and crossing the entrance.
    Though obviously if you're in an accident the one turning left has to yield to oncoming traffic
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Straight or curved Double yellow on a roadway usually regulates no passing zones and does not prohibit turns across them (unless otherwise posted). There are however yellow lined markings on roadways prohibiting various vehicle movements of one type or another. This is how Maryland operates and I have observed the same procedures everywhere else Iv'e ever driven in the US. I imagine this is regulated by NHTSA making it the standard. Usually prohibited turns in conjunction with double yellow lines have warning signs as well.
      John 3:16

Comment

Not an officer, so I won't be answering, but I was just curious on why you thought it might be illegal? I don't really understand why it may not be.
        The loudest one in the room is the weakest.

Comment

Thank you for the responses.
          The reason why I asked, was some time ago, I was sitting waiting to make a left turn there. After about 2 or three minutes, there are a few cars behind me. Suddenly there was a crash, it appears that someone a few cars behind wasnt paying attention and crashed into the car ahead of him.

When I was telling this story over to someone he said that maybe I wasnt allowed to be making the turn there. That maybe that break in the double yellow lines is only to allow cars from the intersection to make a left turn onto the main road. But I would not be allowed to make a left from the main road into that parking lot.

Comment

• themoj0
            themoj0 commented
            Editing a comment
            In ohio...."technically"....that break is exactly what you thought it was for...to signify that there was an entrance/exit/opening on either side of the road...allowing traffic to cross over.
            I cant see the pic, so im just assuming that there is just one side of the road that has that access.
            Unless there was a sign specifically posted to prohibit left turns, you are good to go.
            And like a few others commented, crashes involving rear end collisions are 99.999% fault of the rear vehicle.

Not true, at least here. The driver that rear ended the other vehicle would be at fault . Not paying attention is a big factor in a lot of accidents.
          Last edited by Zeitgeist; 03-05-2018, 05:44 AM.
          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I do not see anything prohibiting a left turn there. As far as the collision that occurred behind you, it is the responsibility of the driver who rear ended the stopped car to be driving at such a speed as to avoid a collision. What if you were stopped for a road hazard? Or a pedestrian? That driver still should not rear end the car behind you.
            "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10331 users online. 300 members and 10031 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X