300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am p***** off at cops

Sorry about the title, just wated to get your attention. But the title is true at this moment. But I don't judge every cop by anothers actions. Just want answers.

My mother called me today absolutely in a panic and crying. She has never been ticketed or in trouble with the law in her entire life. I know most of you don't think this is a big deal. But I cherish my mother and I will give my life to protect her. To paint a picture, she is one of those church going, kindest heart, most respectful don't do anything wrong people. She is 70 years old.

This is the FIRST ticket in her life!!! O.K. the story. Again she is 70 years old.

She went to the grocery store. Upon returning home, she was pulled over. She was terrified as she has never been pulled over before. The officer told her that the sticker on her tags were expired. This was TRUE. As I lost my father 8 years ago, he always took care of registration, maintenance, and things like that to her vehicle. (by the way they were married 52 years). So when my dad died, I took over what he did for my mom. Here in Virginia you can renew your registration in person, by phone or online. She took the initiative to call and renew her registration. She called me and was PROUD she did it herself. A few weeks later she received the renewed registration card with the tag stickers in the mail and she put the updated registration card in her car. She called me to put the new expiration stickers on her car as she did not want to do it wrong. I told her I would. But, and this is my fault, I forgot. And so did she.

Fast forward 3 weeks.........She was pulled over for expired tags. O.K.................that is LEGIT, no doubt........BUT she explained the story.....showed the officer the CURRENT registration card and he STILL WROTE HER AN $81.00 SUMMONS! When she asked why he still wrote her a ticket, he explained to her...and I am paraphrasing from her explanation............."Just take the summons to court on the court date on the summons, with a copy of your registration and the Judge will dismiss it."

My questions are....

1. If he verified the Registration was valid, why not just tell her, "Please put the correct stickers on your car ASAP"?

2. If he knew the registration was valid and up to date, why inconvenience her with paying court costs, and time wasted in front of a judge? Here, even if the summon is tossed, you still pay court costs. Puts a bad taste in my mouth. But obviously this is a waste of my mothers, money, time and the judges time. Or mayne not. I don't know. On a fixed income....is it worth it?

3. Assuming I am telling the truth, how would you handle this?

I am easy going and ignore idiots. But my mother put me on this earth. She sacrificed for me to have a great life.............she is a GREAT person......she only preaches respect to people and help the unfortunate........so in my eyes the ONLY person you don't mess around with is my mom. I will die for her.

By the way..............I did go to the station and asked to speak to the officer. Yes, he came out........ with attitude, I questioned him and explained that I just want to see if my mom was telling the truth. His story DID match my moms story. I asked him why he ticketed my mom and he said "It's really non of your concern"............ As I will protect my mom, I told him it was my concern because she is my mom, period. He walked away.

I am 38 years old. I have only had 1 bad experience with an officer. Story later. But as I said, I am my mothers protector. I watched my dad die...his last words to me were.........TAKE CARE OF YOUR MOM......then he passed infront of me. So this is very powerful to me. I feel it could have been handled different and not scare my mom to death. Literally. As she has a heart conditon and just beat lung cancer.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Well, sorry to make this quick. I am sorry your mother got a ticket/summons. But that's the way it goes. Officer discretion is exactly that. If she wasn't committing an ofence, then she wouldn't have received a ticket.

And I am sorry you think that sucks. however, what is done is done. Your mother is also an adult and therefore the officer doesn't have to entertain you and you beef about the ticket for one second. Again, that's the law and there isn't much you can do about.

It's not personal and the officer wasn't picking on your mom. It's probably not something I would do, but that's just me. I hate writing tickets, period. But I know lots of traffic cops that feel that the law is blind, and if you commit the ofence, you are going to get the ticket.

*Edited to add*

I'm sorry about your mother, and I am glad she survived her cancer. Again, it's about issuing the ticket. It's not personal with traffic guys, they will serve tickets on people lying in bloody heaps in the ER. Why, cause it's their job.

Take care
    Last edited by cst.sb; 04-03-2007, 12:02 AM.

Comment

So i take it she was issued an infraction for no sticker? Im not going to second guess that officer or say he made a ill decision, this is whats called Officer Discretion. I have had the same situation, many many times, and most always just told them to put the sticker on right there in front of me or just wrote them a warning. But again, this is at the discretion of the Officer.

Comment

I'm not an Officer, but i'm not seeing how the Officer in the story knew he "scare[d] [your] mom to death."

Honestly, what are court costs going to be? Surely it won't be the $81 of the ticket. Why not just fix the issue at hand, pay the costs and move on?

How would you have wanted the Officer to handle this? The situation could have gone both ways, the way it went and the way of your mother not getting a ticket. In your case though the Officer did decide to give a ticket, and your mother did commit an infraction, therefore no ticket/ticket would have been appropriate in the situation.
        "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

In PA one can be cited for an improperly displayed plate, which basically means it might be good as verified by a current registration card BUT the plate is not updated with the current sticker. It is a separate violation than an expired registration.
          Now as to why the officer cited her, wish I knew because I would play lottery and WIN cause I could predict the future.
          So the officer used his discretion and even stated that if she took it to court he could or would have the judge dismiss.
          I believe in some states it might be an arrest, minor traffic violations in PA are Not arrestable. Other states maybe.
          SInce you forgot to put it on for moms, you need to pay her fine
          and go sit in court for a day.
          I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by LS1mark
            But I cherish my mother and I will give my life to protect her.

2. If he knew the registration was valid and up to date, why inconvenience her with paying court costs, and time wasted in front of a judge?

............she is a GREAT person......she only preaches respect to people
            ........so in my eyes the ONLY person you don't mess around with is my mom.

I will die for her.

By the way..............I did go to the station and asked to speak to the officer. Yes, he came out........ with attitude, I questioned him and explained that I just want to see if my mom was telling the truth. His story DID match my moms story. I asked him why he ticketed my mom and he said "It's really non of your concern"............ As I will protect my mom, I told him it was my concern because she is my mom, period. He walked away.

I am my mothers protector.
            Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
            This whole overdramatized affair that you posted disturbed me. Starting with the title of your post which is frowned upon material for this website.
            Look at the exerpts I secluded from your statement and rethink them. What would those viewing it see. You will die for your mother? repeatedly.....then you went to confront the officer? HE incovienienced her or you ? What about his incovienience to have to stop her for her failure to insure the roadworthiness of her vehicle? Why would we "assume" you were lying?
            BTW that officer is not required to nor should he discuss his interactions with your grown,legal aged, adult mother with you. Granted most officers consider the age of those individuals whom he/she engages. But for whatever reason she was cited. Maybe it is a new policy that all registration infractions are cited? You dont know that. Driving is a privledge not a right. Please remember that and before you come on this site to rant and rave at other officers please keep in mind that you may not be aware of all of the circumstances involving the actions of officers. That is what civilian review boards and supervisors are for.
            Thank you. You and your mother please drive safely!
            "That boys cheese dun slid off his cracker!"

Comment

1. If he verified the Registration was valid, why not just tell her, "Please put the correct stickers on your car ASAP"?
              Ya, I dunno. I just let one exactly like that go on my last shift. Your mom's situation wasn't my stop, though.

2. If he knew the registration was valid and up to date, why inconvenience her with paying court costs, and time wasted in front of a judge? Here, even if the summon is tossed, you still pay court costs. Puts a bad taste in my mouth. But obviously this is a waste of my mothers, money, time and the judges time. Or mayne not. I don't know. On a fixed income....is it worth it?
              I dunno again. I don't go after the elderly, anyway.

I would, as you put it, just take the summons to court on the court date on the summons, with a copy of your registration and the Judge will dismiss it

I feel it could have been handled different and not scare my mom to death. Literally. As she has a heart conditon and just beat lung cancer.
              Well I would have handled it differently, assuming it was all exactly as you describe. I wouldn't be able to tell you why the officer in your story made the decision he did.

Comment

If anything you should be mad at yourself not the officer. I am so tired of people blaming the police for your mistakes. Its your mothers fault the stickers were not placed on the registration plate, which in turn is a violation of the motor vehicle law. He is permitted to issue a citation and he did. Just because your mom has never been pulled over and because she is 70 doesnt entitle her to a warning. Why does everyone feel they deserve a warning? You realize how many people that officer pulled over that day? Is he supposed to give everyone a warning? Everyone has an excuse. Your mother forgot about the stickers and she has to pay the penalty. Its not the officers fault she forgot.
                And I am sorry he had an attitude with you when you went to question him but your mom is an adult and if you came to me I wouldn't have talked to you about it because it wasnt your concern. You know your mom got a ticket and you know what he ticketed her for was legit because you knew the stickers were not on the plate. What more did you need to know?
                Last edited by Stare; 04-03-2007, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk
                  I'm not an Officer, but i'm not seeing how the Officer in the story knew he "scare[d] [your] mom to death."

Honestly, what are court costs going to be? Surely it won't be the $81 of the ticket. Why not just fix the issue at hand, pay the costs and move on?

How would you have wanted the Officer to handle this? The situation could have gone both ways, the way it went and the way of your mother not getting a ticket. In your case though the Officer did decide to give a ticket, and your mother did commit an infraction, therefore no ticket/ticket would have been appropriate in the situation.
                  going to answer this anyways...
                  Why answer and not follow the rules of the forum? Just asking. I mean you did pass most of the testing process so far but maybe your B.I. missed something...

Not to knock you but if you dont want to follow the rules here what happens on the street?
                  Just my opinion... Not that it means much here.
                  I got nothing for now

Comment

I have an idea: Move to a state where you can't get a ticket for not obeying the law. Either that, or get over yourself. I haven't seen that much drama since high school.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I'm not going to second guess the legal actions of another officer.

Here is my advice to you.
                      1) Go to your moms house and put the sticker on the car for her.
                      2) Tell her its not a big deal, its just and administrative violation of the law and we dont consider her to be a criminal. We are just doing or job of enforcing the law.
                      3) Take a day off of work. Pick your mother up, make sure she has the registration paperwork. Driver her the courthouse and support her as she explains to the court clerk (or judge if required) about the mistake. And when the ticket is dismissed take her out to lunch to celebrate.

Comment

blah,blah,blah.
                        She got a ticket, big deal. Grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by notasheep
                          She got a ticket, big deal. Grow up.

I forgot to tell you one thing... move out of your mom's basement and get a girlfriend... you need one really, really, really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by notasheep
                            I forgot to tell you one thing... move out of your mom's basement and get a girlfriend... you need one really, really, really bad.
                            ROFL! hahahahhaa

Comment

Awsome notasheep, couldn't have put it better myself. Some people just need to hear the obvious.
                              Last edited by Michigan_Dep; 04-03-2007, 01:50 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3194 users online. 196 members and 2998 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X