Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash report

Post Deleted
    Last edited by BNWSHSU2017; 02-06-2018, 11:49 AM.

Originally posted by BNWSHSU2017 View Post
    Is a crash report attached to the vehicle or the registered owners drivers license?

If crashed car is found (rural area) and no driver, what happens next?

Hmmm.... Would this question have anything to do with your other thread?

https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...se-of-accident

Originally posted by BNWSHSU2017
    I have set up my whole life to be a police officer. I graduated from SHSU in 3 years so I would be able to get into a department and an academy as soon as possible. And three months before I gradated college, I was placed in my vehicle while black out drunk, and told to drive home from a lagoon in the woods. I obviously wrecked my car. My "friends" pulled me from the vehicle, took me to someones house to get cleaned up. I had a major concussion and was very lucky to step away from the accident. My problem, yes I drove while drunk, but I had so little say in the matter and remember little to none of the night that I honesty dont know what to say or how to even bring it up. Any and all comments, help, tough truths will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWSHSU2017 View Post
      Is a crash report attached to the vehicle or the registered owners drivers license?
      In the age of computers, both... also insurance claim records. The crash will appear on the driver's record, and list whether it was Fatal, Injury, Property Damage Only, or Non-Contact.

The vehicle ownership history, like what is available through Carfax, is also out there. A similar website is called AutoCheck

If crashed car is found (rural area) and no driver, what happens next?
      The vehicle would be photographed as found, and would be immediately towed to impound, with a "hold". Neither the vehicle or it's contents will be released, nor anyone allowed near it, until the hold is released by the officer who placed it. A suspected severe injury or fatality would be towed to our agency storage facility as evidence. As part of the impound, the vehicle is opened if locked, and a full inventory search is conducted. Any evidence is noted, like evidence of injury, is photographed and collected. In the past, we've gotten DNA from blood we found, and sometimes fingerprints. Contraband is also collected as evidence.

The registration is obviously checked, as is the VIN. If an injury is apparent, I check some area hospital ERs and Urgent Care centers. For a PDO, I usually wait about 48 hours before trying to contact the owner, to see if the driver voluntarily comes in to report it. if so, his/her statement is taken. The operator would likely be charged with Hit & Run. Any injury would be a charge enhancer, meaning, it would make it more serious and the penalties greater. I can go with this charge whether the driver gives a statement or not. We also have an "owner's liability" statute, meaning we can charge the registered owner
      You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Fleeing the scene of an accident...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post

In the age of computers, both... also insurance claim records. The crash will appear on the driver's record, and list whether it was Fatal, Injury, Property Damage Only, or Non-Contact.

The vehicle ownership history, like what is available through Carfax, is also out there. A similar website is called AutoCheck

The vehicle would be photographed as found, and would be immediately towed to impound, with a "hold". Neither the vehicle or it's contents will be released, nor anyone allowed near it, until the hold is released by the officer who placed it. A suspected severe injury or fatality would be towed to our agency storage facility as evidence. As part of the impound, the vehicle is opened if locked, and a full inventory search is conducted. Any evidence is noted, like evidence of injury, is photographed and collected. In the past, we've gotten DNA from blood we found, and sometimes fingerprints. Contraband is also collected as evidence.

The registration is obviously checked, as is the VIN. If an injury is apparent, I check some area hospital ERs and Urgent Care centers. For a PDO, I usually wait about 48 hours before trying to contact the owner, to see if the driver voluntarily comes in to report it. if so, his/her statement is taken. The operator would likely be charged with Hit & Run. Any injury would be a charge enhancer, meaning, it would make it more serious and the penalties greater. I can go with this charge whether the driver gives a statement or not. We also have an "owner's liability" statute, meaning we can charge the registered owner
          Of course this doesn't answer the OP's REAL question...which is:

"If I don't disclose this accident on my application to become a cop, will they find out about it eventhough I never reported it? And will I get charged when the BI finds out?"

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Of course this doesn't answer the OP's REAL question...which is:

"If I don't disclose this accident on my application to become a cop, will they find out about it eventhough I never reported it? And will I get charged when the BI finds out?"
            Pretty much
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Hmmm.... Would this question have anything to do with your other thread?

https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...se-of-accident

I have the same question. Apparently, this crash happened recently.

Trust me, kiddo. They know who owns it and probably what happened. If you are not the registered owner, they will go after this person who is. They will also go after the owner for towing and storage charges.
              You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

And the owner will be hunting you down...
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

It also shows up on Accurint.
                  Last edited by Zeitgeist; 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM.
                  Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20092 users online. 554 members and 19538 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X