300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Officer ______ is my friend/brother/dad/etc"

I've heard of people mentioning they know a police officer to get out of minor traffic stops over the years...is that really a thing? If you pulled someone over for " low level" speeding, a broken tail light, a rolling stop, or something minor, would you let them go after finding out they have a friend/relative in the department/on the force , or would it rub you the wrong way completely?

just curious.
    The loudest one in the room is the weakest.

Originally posted by Bauer View Post
    I've heard of people mentioning they know a police officer to get out of minor traffic stops over the years...is that really a thing? If you pulled someone over for " low level" speeding, a broken tail light, a rolling stop, or something minor, would you let them go after finding out they have a friend/relative in the department/on the force , or would it rub you the wrong way completely?

just curious.
    Anybody who is polite and cooperative will get a break from me on minor violations. Anybody who is an argumentative jerk will get a ticket regardless of who they know (or claim to know). I figure if their family member really is a cop they should have taught them how to behave during a traffic stop.

When my daughter started driving I told her if I ever found out she used the "my dad's a cop" line to get out of a ticket I'd take away her car...

Comment

I couldn't care less who they know. Plus, 99.9% of the time, the officer who they claim to know doesn't even remember ever meeting them.

Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I kind of figured as much. I wonder if it's more common to let people off when it's one of those "everyone knows everyone towns" as opposed to a larger city.

Comment

I once had a violator claim to know a deputy..................only problem was he claimed to know a Deputy Iowa 1603.

I opened my jacket to show him my name tag...............................lets just say the rest of the traffic stop didn't go well for him
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's usually the ones who don't say a word who know how to resolve the matter anyway. There have been times when someone told me what their father did as a profession, I would say "that's cool, my father was a saleman. Lol, I just love playing dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              I once had a violator claim to know a deputy..................only problem was he claimed to know a Deputy Iowa 1603.

I opened my jacket to show him my name tag...............................lets just say the rest of the traffic stop didn't go well for him
              Haha nice...

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

You should have told him "Oh you're friends with Iowa 1603? I can't stand that guy! Here's your ticket."

Comment

I stopped a car once, had the driver tell me he was real good friends with Deputy Sunglasses. I knew this name well. SG was a goof from another shift that wasn't well thought of. He was a chickenhawk that liked to slick his hair up, wear mirrored aviator shades and fingerless gloves. Just a greasy little weasel. He lasted about two years out in Patrol. Last I heard, he was working loss prevention at Home Depot.

Anyways...

I just smiled and went back to my car. When I brought back his citation, the driver got upset. He told me Deputy SG would straighten me out. I told the guy, "If I had stopped Deputy SG for speeding as fast as you were going, I'd have written HIM the ticket. What makes you think I'd give YOU a pass?"

I waited for it, but Deputy SG never said 'boo' to me. I later checked the citation docket for the court date. The guy mailed in a check.
                  Last edited by Curt5811; 01-31-2018, 05:44 PM.
                  You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    I couldn't care less who they know. Plus, 99.9% of the time, the officer who they claim to know doesn't even remember ever meeting them.
                    Usually THAT Officer gave them a ticket earlier...
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

if youre polite and cooperative you will get a break from me as well.

I dont care who you know either. If you get a ticket from me you earned it...

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post
                        I just smiled and went back to my car. When I brought back his citation, the driver got upset. He told me Deputy SG would straighten me out. I told the guy, "If I had stopped Deputy SG for speeding as fast as you were going, I'd have written HIM the ticket. What makes you think I'd give YOU a pass?"

I waited for it, but Deputy SG never said 'boo' to me. I later checked the citation docket for the court date. The guy mailed in a check.
                        I've heard the irate "You'll be hearing from so-and-so" line a bunch of times. Only once did I actually "hear back" from someone...

Pulled over a guy for going 19 over the speed limit. When I asked for his documents, he quietly included a courtesy card from the chief of police of a neighboring jurisdiction. As I would do with most drivers, I reduced the speed to 9 over to save him some money and points. Obviously that wasn't good enough for this guy. He got upset and told me I wasn't "allowed" to give him a ticket since he possessed a courtesy card. After some back and forth he decided to tear up the ticket and toss it out the car window. I calmly asked him to pick up the trash and of course he refused. I informed him that I would cite him for littering if he didn't pick it up. That started a whole new angry outburst about how I wasn't "allowed" to give him a ticket because of the courtesy card. I went back to my car, issued him another citation for littering...and listened to some more verbal abuse and threats of how I would be hearing from Chief so-and-so.

A couple days later I'm called into the office of my lieutenant at the time. The chief from the neigboring jurisdiction had called him up and apparently wasn't very happy with how I treated his nephew. I explained to my Lt what had happened, and of course my version was different from what had been relayed to him. Well, he reviewed the footage from the traffic stop...and then told me, "I would have punched that mother*****er in the face".

Never heard another word about the incident...

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I've heard the irate "You'll be hearing from so-and-so" line a bunch of times. Only once did I actually "hear back" from someone...

Pulled over a guy for going 19 over the speed limit. When I asked for his documents, he quietly included a courtesy card from the chief of police of a neighboring jurisdiction. As I would do with most drivers, I reduced the speed to 9 over to save him some money and points. Obviously that wasn't good enough for this guy. He got upset and told me I wasn't "allowed" to give him a ticket since he possessed a courtesy card. After some back and forth he decided to tear up the ticket and toss it out the car window. I calmly asked him to pick up the trash and of course he refused. I informed him that I would cite him for littering if he didn't pick it up. That started a whole new angry outburst about how I wasn't "allowed" to give him a ticket because of the courtesy card. I went back to my car, issued him another citation for littering...and listened to some more verbal abuse and threats of how I would be hearing from Chief so-and-so.

A couple days later I'm called into the office of my lieutenant at the time. The chief from the neigboring jurisdiction had called him up and apparently wasn't very happy with how I treated his nephew. I explained to my Lt what had happened, and of course my version was different from what had been relayed to him. Well, he reviewed the footage from the traffic stop...and then told me, "I would have punched that mother*****er in the face".

Never heard another word about the incident...

I hope that Chief punched his nephew in the face too when he found out what really happened. What a putz.

Comment

Who GAF what a chief from a different department wants? He isn't in my chain of command.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

My response was always "You know Sgt. Jones? I hate that guy." Or, "He owes me money."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7680 users online. 328 members and 7352 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X