300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• license plates & drivers licenses

Do you get the same information from both? Is asking for someone's license just ceremonial, then?

Originally posted by curioser View Post
    Do you get the same information from both? Is asking for someone's license just ceremonial, then?
    Think about this for a moment:

How can we verify that the person the vehicle is registered to is also the one behind the wheel?

Comment

• curioser
      curioser commented
      Editing a comment
      huh. Good point. I thought since they came from the same place (BMV) they'd both tell you the same thing ('this car belongs to a boring ol' gramma. Here's a picture of her with her pink hair, cuz her granddaughter's fave color is pink. Huh. She is not fun or trendy though. It's just for pretend. Here's her driving record. Yawn.')

Do you get the same information from both?
    No

Is asking for someone's license just ceremonial, then?
    No
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Is asking for someone's license just ceremonial, then?
      Ceremonial?

You mean like performing a ritual, wearing robes, asking for a blessing, maybe burning some incense?

No. We don't do that.

You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

• curioser
        curioser commented
        Editing a comment
        lol maybe "a formality" was a better word, but your explanation was hilarious!

A driver must have on their person a valid driver's license if they are operating a vehicle. But in my State, the vehicle registration does list the owner(s) of the vehicle and will give the driver's license number that can be easily linked to determine status.

Comment

That's an interesting point, I once knew someone (I still know him, actually) that gets offended when he gets pulled over & asked for his license. He likens such a request to Nazi Germany demanding people carry "their papers" on them.

He is hilarious. One time he was getting pulled over & he called 911 lol. He's my friend or I'd call him an idiot.

Comment

• SgtScott31
          SgtScott31 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's ok, we'll call him an idiot for you.

That's an interesting point, I once knew someone (I still know him, actually) that gets offended when he gets pulled over & asked for his license. He likens such a request to Nazi Germany demanding people carry "their papers" on them.

He is hilarious. One time he was getting pulled over & he called 911 lol. He's my friend or I'd call him an idiot.
        I call these people Soverign Citizens and I’ve never met one who I didn’t think was dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by BP3 View Post

I call these people Soverign Citizens and I’ve never met one who I didn’t think was dangerous.
          And unpredictable
          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Don't worry - all the rest of us are thinking it, and will call him that on your behalf!

Regarding curioser's original post, and his whimsical tale of aluminum-hattery on the other thread - yeah, not suspicious nor strange.
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

I routinely have citizens ask me "can't you just run that stuff through your computer"? Yes, we can and do run this information through our system. However, in my state you are required by law to carry your driver's license with you when operating a motor vehicle and present it to law enforcement upon request, as well as present the vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Our DMV vehicle registration files only show a name and address of the registered owner and if the status is clear or not. It does not include a DL number, a photo or any insurance info like other states do. That means we have to run the DL, registration and insurance info separately. Having and presenting the documents is easier and quicker for everyone involved, not to mention it eliminates the chance of you being issued citations for not having them.

Comment

The license belongs to the state, not to the individual.
                I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

When people get mad and spout the “nazi paper” routine, I switch into German or Russian, and continue the stop. It’s hilarious.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by edgex9 View Post
                    I routinely have citizens ask me "can't you just run that stuff through your computer"? Yes, we can and do run this information through our system. However, in my state you are required by law to carry your driver's license with you when operating a motor vehicle and present it to law enforcement upon request, as well as present the vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Our DMV vehicle registration files only show a name and address of the registered owner and if the status is clear or not. It does not include a DL number, a photo or any insurance info like other states do. That means we have to run the DL, registration and insurance info separately. Having and presenting the documents is easier and quicker for everyone involved, not to mention it eliminates the chance of you being issued citations for not having them.
                    Just curious, do you cite for that in your state? It’s a requirement here as well, but I don’t know anyone who cites for that. I typically throw it on a warning and laugh at them...

Comment

I have only cited two or three people in over 20 years. Each of them had horrible attitudes during the encounter, therefore, I enforced all applicable violations of motor vehicle law. As for all the others who didn't have their driver's license on them...I enforced the law with a verbal warning.

Comment

In our state, it's legally permissible to enact a stop based on the registered owner's information determined by a check of the registration status from the license plate information.

In other words, if I run a check of a plate, it will show me who the registered owner is and, if that person has a suspended/revoked/no driver's license, I can legally stop the vehicle. The caveat is that I can't be aware of any information that would make it obvious the driver is not the registered owner. If, for example, I see the person get into the vehicle and he/she is obviously young and the registered owner is 90+, I wouldn't be able to stop based on the registered owner's info.

All that being said, the driver is still required to have a valid driver's license and have it on him/her while operating the vehicle.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15049 users online. 458 members and 14591 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X