X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t150vsuptpr
    replied
    Originally posted by countdown
    Adults should act like adults. Kids acting like idiots or not.

If the sticker is as small as you say and they are not placed in a area that obstructs view. It sounds like some LEOs in that area are acting much like the kids they're out to harrass. That's weaksauce right there.

Small towns usually have such issues though. It's as if everyone knows each other and everyone acts like a big dysfunctional family. Sad.
    It's called "The Peter Principle".

Everyone is out to prove theirs is the biggest, and truth be known, they all are small.

There's also the old one ... "Contempt of Cop" that causes some of the those who fall under the "Peter Principle" to go into a blind rage.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Dees
    replied
    Originally posted by Modified Import
    Why does this not apply to pick up trucks whose rear windsheild is blocked by the use of a closed cab? or a Uhual truck that doesn't even have a rear windsheild? What about certain exotics that have a windsheild the size of someones fist?

I was under the impression (From my NSYS driving hand book) that a car was only required to have two side mirrors, working headlights, taillights, brake lights, and signals front and back. It never mentions anything about a rear view mirror to see out the back window.
    I'm flying blind as to the specifics of NYS V&T codes, but equipment laws tend to be pretty consistent from state to state. If there is not a clear view out the rear window (which necessitates an interior rear view mirror), then the car or truck must have outside rear view mirrors on each side. However, having outside rear view mirrors does not exempt you from the obstructed window statute. Arguing in court that this is unfair because trucks can have obstructed rear windows is just going to annoy the judge. The legislature wrote the law that way, the governor signed it, and you have to obey it. If it's that big an issue for you, write a letter to your state assemblyman and senator (or whatever they call state legislators in NYS) and see if you can get them interested in changing the law. I don't expect that you'll get very far, but I've been wrong before, too.

Leave a comment:

• Modified Import
    replied
    Why does this not apply to pick up trucks whose rear windsheild is blocked by the use of a closed cab? or a Uhual truck that doesn't even have a rear windsheild? What about certain exotics that have a windsheild the size of someones fist?

I was under the impression (From my NSYS driving hand book) that a car was only required to have two side mirrors, working headlights, taillights, brake lights, and signals front and back. It never mentions anything about a rear view mirror to see out the back window.

Leave a comment:

• Irishluck31
    replied
    It goes back to making the choice to target kids because of a HARMLESS sticker just because you(whoever) doesn't like them(only 1 is acting like a fool towards the law). Now if they are causing real trouble in the town, sure target them(I can think of how the law targets groups like the "Hells Angels"- there's a good reason to target them, drugs and such). But if anyone is in law enforcement and is targeting kids for a harmless sticker, they have too much time on their hands.

I'm not defending any group. I don't know all the facts. But, the OP said that only 1 member likes to "toy with the law" and that the whole group is paying for some moron. *Going off that*, I would say someone has too much time on their hands if they are targeting a group of otherwise good kids due to a small, out of the way, sticker. Are they pulling over everyone who has a like sticker on their glass? I bet not. If they are writing sticker tickets to everyone, well then the club can cry us a river. Otherwise, that's ethically wrong.

I certainly don't judge or dislike every officer because I had one harass my little brother and I one night when I was 16(I was a very good kid). I understand that 1 bad apple does not spoil the basket. On the other hand I can appreciate that there are idiots out there and they do(or should) get singled out.

No need to get all huffy(whoever it was) at me posting and not a original poster in a thread for this specific forum. I will go straight to the "rules" thread(if there is one) and if I am not supposed to respond, not being a LEO, on this open forum I will make sure to follow such rules from here on.

The laws are the laws. A foolish sticker is against the laws of the land, then its citable and it can be written. Its simple. The officer has the ability to write it or not write it. Its his choice. The ones who break the law are the ones who are acting like fools towards the law, as you put it.

Leave a comment:

• hemicop
    replied
    In my day, NYS had an "impairment of vision" statute that restricted such decals--don't know if it still exists. NYPD used it to restrict the tall tunnel-ram scoops we ran on our cars back then. The officer may be relying on that, too. while it may be a violation, discretion is a privelege officers have & it sounds like this officer is taking things to literally. I've seen Pontiac owners re-arrange their letters to read "anti cop"--who cares? These guys are usually young, stupid and after a few contacts (done properly) it all fades away. Since you'reot part of this "group" I'd just stand by the sidelines and laugh as this geek keeps getting stopped, ticketed and his & his buddies wallets keep getting drained of their hard-earned cash.

Leave a comment:

• countdown
    replied
    Originally posted by exComptonCop
    This is as the top of the "Ask A Cop" page...

All Others BANNED on FIRST Offense

...Traffic Enforcement is one of the sub-forums

Ah...had to do a bit more digging but found it. I have this specific forum set as a bookmark. So I didn't see the subheading for this forum.

I appologize fellas.
    Last edited by countdown; 04-01-2007, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• exComptonCop
    replied
    I checked for any rules showing only LEOs can respond here. I couldn't find that written anywhere. With all due respect, please show me where it is written. I am not looking to get banned or anything. I just like chatting law and ethics with LEOs.
    This is as the top of the "Ask A Cop" page...

All Others BANNED on FIRST Offense

...Traffic Enforcement is one of the sub-forums

Leave a comment:

• countdown
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtScott31
    Last I checked only LEO's are supposed to answer in this section. To assume there is only one side of the story (from the kids driving imports) makes it a good reason why LEO's answer here and not you.
    I checked for any rules showing only LEOs can respond here. I couldn't find that written anywhere. With all due respect, please show me where it is written. I am not looking to get banned or anything. I just like chatting law and ethics with LEOs.

Leave a comment:

• countdown
    replied
    Originally posted by VACOP1
    this is NYS V&T Law pertaining to the placement of stickers

§ 375. Equipment.

1. (a) Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, shall be provided with adequate brakes and steering mechanism in good working order and sufficient to control such vehicle at all times when the same is in use, and a suitable and adequate horn or other device for signaling, which horn or device shall produce a sound sufficiently loud to serve as a danger warning but shall not be used other than as a reasonable warning nor be unnecessarily loud or harsh.

(b.) Every such motor vehicle shall be equipped with suitable wipers or other device which shall clear a sufficient area of the windshields to provide reasonable driving vision.
    (i) The use or placing of posters or stickers on windshields or rear windows of motor vehicles other than those authorized by the commissioner, is hereby prohibited.
    In a city of one million or more, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that the person whose name, telephone number, or other identifying information appears on any handbill or other form of advertisement attached to a windshield or windshield wipers of a motor vehicle shall be in violation of the provisions of this subdivision relating to the prohibition against attaching to windshields and windshield wipers, handbills and other forms of advertisements.
    Sounds like this club is breaking the law(they can't complain of being written bogus tickets). If they want to keep their stickers and it be lawful they should place them on one of the side windows.

Leave a comment:

• countdown
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishluck31
    Oh, Harass is such a strong word. Are you sure you dont mean enforce the law. The "WeakSauce" as you put it is that the youngsters want to "Toy" with the coppers and they get their panties all bunched up when the Coppers bite back. See, Cops dont play little kid games, we play pocketbook games. You want to run around town acting afool, "Toying" with the PD be prepared for the worst. Its the simple laws of physics. The more powerful force will always win.

As far as small towns, Thats the charm. Some people cant live in those communities, some prosper.
    It goes back to making the choice to target kids because of a HARMLESS sticker just because you(whoever) doesn't like them(only 1 is acting like a fool towards the law). Now if they are causing real trouble in the town, sure target them(I can think of how the law targets groups like the "Hells Angels"- there's a good reason to target them, drugs and such). But if anyone is in law enforcement and is targeting kids for a harmless sticker, they have too much time on their hands.

I'm not defending any group. I don't know all the facts. But, the OP said that only 1 member likes to "toy with the law" and that the whole group is paying for some moron. *Going off that*, I would say someone has too much time on their hands if they are targeting a group of otherwise good kids due to a small, out of the way, sticker. Are they pulling over everyone who has a like sticker on their glass? I bet not. If they are writing sticker tickets to everyone, well then the club can cry us a river. Otherwise, that's ethically wrong.

I certainly don't judge or dislike every officer because I had one harass my little brother and I one night when I was 16(I was a very good kid). I understand that 1 bad apple does not spoil the basket. On the other hand I can appreciate that there are idiots out there and they do(or should) get singled out.

No need to get all huffy(whoever it was) at me posting and not a original poster in a thread for this specific forum. I will go straight to the "rules" thread(if there is one) and if I am not supposed to respond, not being a LEO, on this open forum I will make sure to follow such rules from here on.

Leave a comment:

• VACOP1
    replied
    this is NYS V&T Law pertaining to the placement of stickers

§ 375. Equipment.

1. (a) Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, shall be provided with adequate brakes and steering mechanism in good working order and sufficient to control such vehicle at all times when the same is in use, and a suitable and adequate horn or other device for signaling, which horn or device shall produce a sound sufficiently loud to serve as a danger warning but shall not be used other than as a reasonable warning nor be unnecessarily loud or harsh.

(b.) Every such motor vehicle shall be equipped with suitable wipers or other device which shall clear a sufficient area of the windshields to provide reasonable driving vision.
    (i) The use or placing of posters or stickers on windshields or rear windows of motor vehicles other than those authorized by the commissioner, is hereby prohibited.
    In a city of one million or more, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that the person whose name, telephone number, or other identifying information appears on any handbill or other form of advertisement attached to a windshield or windshield wipers of a motor vehicle shall be in violation of the provisions of this subdivision relating to the prohibition against attaching to windshields and windshield wipers, handbills and other forms of advertisements.

Leave a comment:

• SgtScott31
    replied

If the sticker is as small as you say and they are not placed in a area that obstructs view. It sounds like some LEOs in that area are acting much like the kids they're out to harrass. That's weaksauce right there.

Small towns usually have such issues though. It's as if everyone knows each other and everyone acts like a big dysfunctional family. Sad.
    Last I checked only LEO's are supposed to answer in this section. To assume there is only one side of the story (from the kids driving imports) makes it a good reason why LEO's answer here and not you.

Leave a comment:

• Irishluck31
    replied

Oh, Harass is such a strong word. Are you sure you dont mean enforce the law. The "WeakSauce" as you put it is that the youngsters want to "Toy" with the coppers and they get their panties all bunched up when the Coppers bite back. See, Cops dont play little kid games, we play pocketbook games. You want to run around town acting afool, "Toying" with the PD be prepared for the worst. Its the simple laws of physics. The more powerful force will always win.

As far as small towns, Thats the charm. Some people cant live in those communities, some prosper.

Leave a comment:

• countdown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Modified Import
    replied
    Originally posted by Drunkcop
    Did you really need to ask this question?

When you guys 'toy with law enforcement', we 'toy' back. There are a number of vehicle laws on the books in any state for very minor infractions that will allow police to stop a vehicle and ticket the driver. Usually we use that for probable cause to stop and see if anything else is going on. If it isn't, I usually give a courtesy citation and that's the end of it.

But if your car club friend is going to play games, I am going to enforce all pertinent laws concerning his vehicle's equipment and configuration until he gets the picture and stops acting a fool...or until I get him for something serious.

Most police I know have a low tolerance for drivers acting stupid because we've had to deal with too many mangled and dead bodies in the aftermath.

I'd guess they are probably writing for obstruction of the window, but I'm in Tennessee, not NY.

If the other car club members were smart they'd have a little chat with the offender and tell him to knock it off.
    Well thats the problem, his whole brigade is cheering him on. I'm not part of this club, in fact they are total *******s, but i heard about it, and I'm just worried, i have a few stickers on my rear view. "MILF" w/ a tally lol and a "jdm slut" which are far bigger than their stickers.

The ticket isn't for obstruction of view that i know for sure.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5246 users online. 315 members and 4931 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X