Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Unauthorized Sticker"

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Unauthorized Sticker"

    There's a local car club around me and it just so happens that one member loves toying with law enforcement. So for his stupidity the town police are writing an "unauthorized sticker" ticket for those who have the 1.5" x 4" sticker on their rear windsheilds.

    What is the basis for writing this ticket? Are they any exceptions or parameters that must be met or observed to write the ticket?


    This is in NY
    2004 Satin Silver RSX Type S
    Jackson Racing Supercharged @ 15 psi
    384.3 Wheel Horsepower.
    333.2 Wheel Torque.

  • #2
    bump, 24 views, no reply?
    2004 Satin Silver RSX Type S
    Jackson Racing Supercharged @ 15 psi
    384.3 Wheel Horsepower.
    333.2 Wheel Torque.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Modified Import
      1.5" x 4" sticker on their rear windsheilds
      Do you really mean inches, or are you talking feet that cover the whole window, as in obscured view to the rear?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Modified Import
        There's a local car club around me and it just so happens that one member loves toying with law enforcement. So for his stupidity the town police are writing an "unauthorized sticker" ticket for those who have the 1.5" x 4" sticker on their rear windsheilds.

        What is the basis for writing this ticket? Are they any exceptions or parameters that must be met or observed to write the ticket?


        This is in NY
        I'm sure they are just writing the ticket for the hell of it. It is probably a legal sticker and they just want to risk their jobs and credibility in court for making the violation up and writing you kids for it (sigh). Best way to combat this is go to court and plead "not guilty" and tell the officer(s) they don't know what they are doing....
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Modified Import
          What is the basis for writing this ticket? Are they any exceptions or parameters that must be met or observed to write the ticket?
          1. Get a copy of one the tickets, and note the section number the motorist is accused of violating (I think these are called "Vehicle and Traffic Codes" in New York).
          2. Go the library and look up the relevant code.
          3. Do whatever you have to in order to bring your vehicle in compliance with this code.

          Traffic laws, like all others, are no secret, and it's your responsibility to know and obey them. Anytime you add or remove equipment to or from your vehicle, altering it from the way it came from the factory, you need to be aware that the modification may violate a traffic law.
          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SgtScott31
            I'm sure they are just writing the ticket for the hell of it. It is probably a legal sticker and they just want to risk their jobs and credibility in court for making the violation up and writing you kids for it (sigh). Best way to combat this is go to court and plead "not guilty" and tell the officer(s) they don't know what they are doing....
            sarcasm?

            Originally posted by Wile E. Coyote
            Do you really mean inches, or are you talking feet that cover the whole window, as in obscured view to the rear?
            Yes, i really mean inches, its about the size of a dollar bill if not smaller.




            Everyone mailed in their tickets and didn't make copies (idiots) so now they have to wait for the court date in the mail to get the violation number.

            Upon doing some research, my searches for "unauthorized sticker" only yielded responses in regard to public property and government property and how putting stickers and decals on them is illegal

            Also, is there such thing as obstruction of view for the rear window? I remember reading a while back that in NY, your car must have headlights, working taillights, and break lights, and two side mirrors (one if your car is older than 1985)

            A rear view mirror is not even required, And if it is, how come this law does not apply to trucks? who cannot see anything but the back of a trailer, or uhauls, or a pick up with a cab on it, or a lamborghini, etc....

            I was pulled over for my STOCK OEM rear spoiler for obstruction of view, and the judge laughed at him in court.
            Last edited by Modified Import; 03-30-2007, 01:28 AM.
            2004 Satin Silver RSX Type S
            Jackson Racing Supercharged @ 15 psi
            384.3 Wheel Horsepower.
            333.2 Wheel Torque.

            Comment


            • #7
              Did you really need to ask this question?

              When you guys 'toy with law enforcement', we 'toy' back. There are a number of vehicle laws on the books in any state for very minor infractions that will allow police to stop a vehicle and ticket the driver. Usually we use that for probable cause to stop and see if anything else is going on. If it isn't, I usually give a courtesy citation and that's the end of it.

              But if your car club friend is going to play games, I am going to enforce all pertinent laws concerning his vehicle's equipment and configuration until he gets the picture and stops acting a fool...or until I get him for something serious.

              Most police I know have a low tolerance for drivers acting stupid because we've had to deal with too many mangled and dead bodies in the aftermath.

              I'd guess they are probably writing for obstruction of the window, but I'm in Tennessee, not NY.

              If the other car club members were smart they'd have a little chat with the offender and tell him to knock it off.
              "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Drunkcop
                Did you really need to ask this question?

                When you guys 'toy with law enforcement', we 'toy' back. There are a number of vehicle laws on the books in any state for very minor infractions that will allow police to stop a vehicle and ticket the driver. Usually we use that for probable cause to stop and see if anything else is going on. If it isn't, I usually give a courtesy citation and that's the end of it.

                But if your car club friend is going to play games, I am going to enforce all pertinent laws concerning his vehicle's equipment and configuration until he gets the picture and stops acting a fool...or until I get him for something serious.

                Most police I know have a low tolerance for drivers acting stupid because we've had to deal with too many mangled and dead bodies in the aftermath.

                I'd guess they are probably writing for obstruction of the window, but I'm in Tennessee, not NY.

                If the other car club members were smart they'd have a little chat with the offender and tell him to knock it off.
                Well thats the problem, his whole brigade is cheering him on. I'm not part of this club, in fact they are total *******s, but i heard about it, and I'm just worried, i have a few stickers on my rear view. "MILF" w/ a tally lol and a "jdm slut" which are far bigger than their stickers.

                The ticket isn't for obstruction of view that i know for sure.
                2004 Satin Silver RSX Type S
                Jackson Racing Supercharged @ 15 psi
                384.3 Wheel Horsepower.
                333.2 Wheel Torque.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Adults should act like adults. Kids acting like idiots or not.

                  If the sticker is as small as you say and they are not placed in a area that obstructs view. It sounds like some LEOs in that area are acting much like the kids they're out to harrass. That's weaksauce right there.

                  Small towns usually have such issues though. It's as if everyone knows each other and everyone acts like a big dysfunctional family. Sad.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by countdown
                    Adults should act like adults. Kids acting like idiots or not.

                    If the sticker is as small as you say and they are not placed in a area that obstructs view. It sounds like some LEOs in that area are acting much like the kids they're out to harrass. That's weaksauce right there.

                    Small towns usually have such issues though. It's as if everyone knows each other and everyone acts like a big dysfunctional family. Sad.

                    Oh, Harass is such a strong word. Are you sure you dont mean enforce the law. The "WeakSauce" as you put it is that the youngsters want to "Toy" with the coppers and they get their panties all bunched up when the Coppers bite back. See, Cops dont play little kid games, we play pocketbook games. You want to run around town acting afool, "Toying" with the PD be prepared for the worst. Its the simple laws of physics. The more powerful force will always win.

                    As far as small towns, Thats the charm. Some people cant live in those communities, some prosper.
                    It takes a Wolf.......

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by countdown
                      Adults should act like adults. Kids acting like idiots or not.

                      If the sticker is as small as you say and they are not placed in a area that obstructs view. It sounds like some LEOs in that area are acting much like the kids they're out to harrass. That's weaksauce right there.

                      Small towns usually have such issues though. It's as if everyone knows each other and everyone acts like a big dysfunctional family. Sad.
                      Last I checked only LEO's are supposed to answer in this section. To assume there is only one side of the story (from the kids driving imports) makes it a good reason why LEO's answer here and not you.
                      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        this is NYS V&T Law pertaining to the placement of stickers

                        § 375. Equipment.

                        1. (a) Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, shall be provided with adequate brakes and steering mechanism in good working order and sufficient to control such vehicle at all times when the same is in use, and a suitable and adequate horn or other device for signaling, which horn or device shall produce a sound sufficiently loud to serve as a danger warning but shall not be used other than as a reasonable warning nor be unnecessarily loud or harsh.

                        (b.) Every such motor vehicle shall be equipped with suitable wipers or other device which shall clear a sufficient area of the windshields to provide reasonable driving vision.
                        (i) The use or placing of posters or stickers on windshields or rear windows of motor vehicles other than those authorized by the commissioner, is hereby prohibited.
                        In a city of one million or more, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that the person whose name, telephone number, or other identifying information appears on any handbill or other form of advertisement attached to a windshield or windshield wipers of a motor vehicle shall be in violation of the provisions of this subdivision relating to the prohibition against attaching to windshields and windshield wipers, handbills and other forms of advertisements.
                        IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

                        "In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
                        -----Louis Pasteur

                        "Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

                        -------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

                        On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

                        ------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Irishluck31
                          Oh, Harass is such a strong word. Are you sure you dont mean enforce the law. The "WeakSauce" as you put it is that the youngsters want to "Toy" with the coppers and they get their panties all bunched up when the Coppers bite back. See, Cops dont play little kid games, we play pocketbook games. You want to run around town acting afool, "Toying" with the PD be prepared for the worst. Its the simple laws of physics. The more powerful force will always win.

                          As far as small towns, Thats the charm. Some people cant live in those communities, some prosper.
                          It goes back to making the choice to target kids because of a HARMLESS sticker just because you(whoever) doesn't like them(only 1 is acting like a fool towards the law). Now if they are causing real trouble in the town, sure target them(I can think of how the law targets groups like the "Hells Angels"- there's a good reason to target them, drugs and such). But if anyone is in law enforcement and is targeting kids for a harmless sticker, they have too much time on their hands.

                          I'm not defending any group. I don't know all the facts. But, the OP said that only 1 member likes to "toy with the law" and that the whole group is paying for some moron. *Going off that*, I would say someone has too much time on their hands if they are targeting a group of otherwise good kids due to a small, out of the way, sticker. Are they pulling over everyone who has a like sticker on their glass? I bet not. If they are writing sticker tickets to everyone, well then the club can cry us a river. Otherwise, that's ethically wrong.

                          I certainly don't judge or dislike every officer because I had one harass my little brother and I one night when I was 16(I was a very good kid). I understand that 1 bad apple does not spoil the basket. On the other hand I can appreciate that there are idiots out there and they do(or should) get singled out.

                          No need to get all huffy(whoever it was) at me posting and not a original poster in a thread for this specific forum. I will go straight to the "rules" thread(if there is one) and if I am not supposed to respond, not being a LEO, on this open forum I will make sure to follow such rules from here on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by VACOP1
                            this is NYS V&T Law pertaining to the placement of stickers

                            § 375. Equipment.

                            1. (a) Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, shall be provided with adequate brakes and steering mechanism in good working order and sufficient to control such vehicle at all times when the same is in use, and a suitable and adequate horn or other device for signaling, which horn or device shall produce a sound sufficiently loud to serve as a danger warning but shall not be used other than as a reasonable warning nor be unnecessarily loud or harsh.

                            (b.) Every such motor vehicle shall be equipped with suitable wipers or other device which shall clear a sufficient area of the windshields to provide reasonable driving vision.
                            (i) The use or placing of posters or stickers on windshields or rear windows of motor vehicles other than those authorized by the commissioner, is hereby prohibited.
                            In a city of one million or more, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that the person whose name, telephone number, or other identifying information appears on any handbill or other form of advertisement attached to a windshield or windshield wipers of a motor vehicle shall be in violation of the provisions of this subdivision relating to the prohibition against attaching to windshields and windshield wipers, handbills and other forms of advertisements.
                            Sounds like this club is breaking the law(they can't complain of being written bogus tickets). If they want to keep their stickers and it be lawful they should place them on one of the side windows.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SgtScott31
                              Last I checked only LEO's are supposed to answer in this section. To assume there is only one side of the story (from the kids driving imports) makes it a good reason why LEO's answer here and not you.
                              I checked for any rules showing only LEOs can respond here. I couldn't find that written anywhere. With all due respect, please show me where it is written. I am not looking to get banned or anything. I just like chatting law and ethics with LEOs.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5627 users online. 360 members and 5267 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X