• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JKralC104
    Cuz thats how we roll.
    I agree with this statement.

Comment

Originally posted by notasheep
      I agree with this statement.
      yeah - which irks me. shouldn't officers set an EXAMPLE for the best, proper and legal way to drive? and i'm sure you guys wonder why everyone drives so horribly - think about the example you set.

i'm STUNNED at how horrible officers drive - almost completely across the board. its SO bad where i live, that i call the unit # in to the non-emergency dispatch EVERY time i see an officer exceeding the speed limit, tailgating, turning without signaling, etc.

if they were on a call, i let the department sort it out - if they weren't i hope it gets noted...if you're not on a call, you're subject to the same laws the rest of us all....right?

Comment

Originally posted by briyoung
        i'm STUNNED at how horrible officers drive - almost completely across the board. its SO bad where i live, that i call the unit # in to the non-emergency dispatch EVERY time i see an officer exceeding the speed limit, tailgating, turning without signaling, etc.

if they were on a call, i let the department sort it out - if they weren't i hope it gets noted...if you're not on a call, you're subject to the same laws the rest of us all....right?
        Now thats getting a little carried away. You take the time to call the police department when an officer doesnt use a turn signal. Wow.... I'm sure you obey every single traffic law right. Do you know how many people would riot if we started ticketing everybody for no turn signal or turn signal not activated for the proper distance. I can see you being upset if an officer is driving in an unsafe manner.....report that, but you need to realize that while we are driving we are 1. listening to the police radio for our information. 2 listening to the police radio for our partners calls in case they need help 3. trying to find the location/address 4. having new messages or call updates come across the MDC 5. directing other units for "hot calls" 6. looking around to make sure we arent passing Osama Bin Laden carrying a bomb on the side of the road 7. more things that I cant think of right now. There is a lot going on ....... like I said if the driving is so horrible it is an immediate danger then report it....but lighten up on some of the chicken**** things like turn signals. I know I havent ever cited somebody for failure to signal....geeez.

Comment

yeah - which irks me. shouldn't officers set an EXAMPLE for the best, proper and legal way to drive? and i'm sure you guys wonder why everyone drives so horribly - think about the example you set.

You obviously have a lot of time on your hands, and plenty of cell phone minutes , if you call in every time you see a police officer not living up to your standards. Your profile says your a journalist, then maybe you should do a ride along so you could see first hand what we go through on a daily basis. If you are going to make that many calls about the police then you should join your neighborhood watch program and focus your keen eyes on the actual criminals.
          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Sometimes we are in a hurry to get somewhere but we are not going to turn on our lights and sirens...

Like a family just came home and noticed their home was Burglarized... I get the call and am clear on the wrong side of town because the area car is at lunch and everyone else is tied up on calls...

Yep, sure enough I get behind someone like you then....

Going about 10 under the speed limit, when all I want to do is get to my call to help someone...
            Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep
              You obviously have a lot of time on your hands, and plenty of cell phone minutes , if you call in every time you see a police officer not living up to your standards. Your profile says your a journalist, then maybe you should do a ride along so you could see first hand what we go through on a daily basis. If you are going to make that many calls about the police then you should join your neighborhood watch program and focus your keen eyes on the actual criminals.
              while i don't have a lot of time on my hands, i do spend a lot of time on the road - and yes, plenty of cell phone minutes...and its not MY standards - its the standards of SOCIETY and the LAWS of our society - put there for a reason.

i am, indeed a journalist and have 18 years of experience doing dozens of ride-alongs, thank you very much - in at least 6 different states and multiple jurisdictions.

and "fuzz" - yes...i completely understand everything that is going on inside of a cruiser (see ride-along experience noted above) - isn't that all the more reason to slow down and drive a little safer, stop tailgating and generally set a better example?

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97
                Sometimes we are in a hurry to get somewhere but we are not going to turn on our lights and sirens...

Like a family just came home and noticed their home was Burglarized... I get the call and am clear on the wrong side of town because the area car is at lunch and everyone else is tied up on calls...

Yep, sure enough I get behind someone like you then....

Going about 10 under the speed limit, when all I want to do is get to my call to help someone...
                first off - i'm not going to be in the left lane unless i'm passing someone.
                secondly - if you're on a run and DO pull up behind me and want me to move, flip on your overheads - i'll be the first one to move over...

Comment

secondly - if you're on a run and DO pull up behind me and want me to move, flip on your overheads - i'll be the first one to move over...
                  First off- the situation I am talking about is a two lane road...where I cant get around you...( I work in a medium sized jurisdiction with a lot of narrow residential roads)

Secondly - the situation I am talking about is a call where I am not authorized to use my emergency lights... (but dont really want to keep people waiting)

(I do appreciate you pulling over for emergency lights though...a lot of the public just wait for you to pass em....)
                  Retired 02/01/13

Comment

gotcha - and i totally understand this situation, but i think (hope?) you'll agree that this doesn't go to the heart of the problem of poor driving on the part of officers.

i can think of two situations in recent memory where an officer would pass me at a fairly high rate of speed on city streets, (15+ over) only for me to come upon them a bit down the road to find them pulled over at a popular lunch spot. THAT is the kind of conduct that really burns me.

Comment

Ok, now don't start telling us how to do our jobs. I think we know much better than you ever will.

Some of us have policies restricting the use of overheads to only certain situations.

Comment

He forgot to add that when he saw the unit behind him that he let his foot off the gas and never put it back on. That is the most annoying. Can't ever get where you are going for all of the 30mph drops in speed in every lane.
                        "That boys cheese dun slid off his cracker!"

Comment

i have two takes on what is going on here.

On one hand if a cop is tailgationg you on the highway, then most people i know will want to get over because 1 they are paranoid of the cop, even if they are not doing anything illegal, and 2 because the cop is probably in a hurry to get somewhere, and dont worry i do understand urgent calls that the cop has to get to.

On the other hand to talk about bad driving habits of cops. The bottom line is that no matter what the cop is trying to do by tailgating you, it is STILL dangerous, and a expired sticker is no reason to create an accident on the highway. If someone sees a cop tailgating them, they are gonna be looking in the rearview alot more than if there was no cop behind them, and that means less time on the road, and that is one reason why they would have to slam on thier breaks. Other bad driving habits that cops have like no turn signals and stuff like that, i think thats its unnacceptable to say that you are doing too much stuff to pay attention to all that, because signals are safety devices, bottom line... It is the job of the police to set an example, not to watch everybody else make the mistakes that they make, and then screw them over!

Comment

Originally posted by gfreebur

On one hand if a cop is tailgationg you on the highway, then most people i know will want to get over because 1 they are paranoid of the cop, even if they are not doing anything illegal, and 2 because the cop is probably in a hurry to get somewhere, and dont worry i do understand urgent calls that the cop has to get to.

On the other hand to talk about bad driving habits of cops. The bottom line is that no matter what the cop is trying to do by tailgating you, it is STILL dangerous, and a expired sticker is no reason to create an accident on the highway. If someone sees a cop tailgating them, they are gonna be looking in the rearview alot more than if there was no cop behind them, and that means less time on the road, and that is one reason why they would have to slam on thier breaks. Other bad driving habits that cops have like no turn signals and stuff like that, i think thats its unnacceptable to say that you are doing too much stuff to pay attention to all that, because signals are safety devices, bottom line... It is the job of the police to set an example, not to watch everybody else make the mistakes that they make, and then screw them over!
                            To ensure this forum stays on topic as much as possible, ONLY law enforcement personnel should 'reply' to topics in this thread. The original poster can be ANYONE, but those who reply should be the ORIGINAL POSTER and LAW ENFORCEMENT personnel ONLY.

If you want to discuss the topic, are NOT in LE, and are NOT the original poster, post it in an appropriate public forum, but the 'Ask a Cop' should no longer be used as a breeding ground for civilian vs. cop discussions.

Users are encouraged to report posts that are clearly not LE.

HOWEVER, is you are a civilian and have a NEW Question or need clarification of an answer, you can reply in the original post. But we will not permit the 'Ask A Cop' discussion to turn into a battleground between civilians and cops...or for that matter cops and cops, or all in between

IF YOU POST HERE AND DO NOT QUALIFY AS THE ABOVE, YOU WILL BE BANNED IMMEDIATELY AND FOREVER. CANNOT STATE IT ANY CLEARER. NO EXCEPTIONS. NO WARNINGS. NO ANTI-LAW ENFORCEMENT RESPONSES OR POSTS.
                            Ask-a-cop sections are to be answered by LEO's only. As it is obvious that you are not a cop (and probably never will be), I suggest you find a forum where you might know what you are talking about. Maybe something like radar detectors . com... or some other site where your buddy Maxima Lover is welcomed.
                            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by gfreebur

It's frickin hilarious that people talk about officers not using turn signals, yet 90% of people I see daily don't seem to know where there's are located. Use your own damn signal first and then talk about someone else. And FYI, the officers in my city all use their signals (or else the Chief will have their rears over it).

Comment

oops. edited.
                                Last edited by jasonsmith; 04-11-2007, 03:56 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2344 users online. 144 members and 2200 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X