300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving someone elses car?

I live with my grandma in California, and she is getting sick and wants me to drive her car for her because most days shes bedridden and cant drive. Her car is insured and registered under her name, but im not on her insurance. Would I still be arrested and would the car still be impounded if i was caught driving her car?

Originally posted by ayumibomb View Post
    I live with my grandma in California, and she is getting sick and wants me to drive her car for her because most days shes bedridden and cant drive. Her car is insured and registered under her name, but im not on her insurance. Would I still be arrested and would the car still be impounded if i was caught driving her car?
    Do you have a valid driver's license? Do you have your own insurance on a different vehicle?

As long as you have the owner's permission and as long as the vehicle is insured you'd be fine as far as law enforcement is concerned. However, if you were to get into an accident your grandma's insurance company might refuse to pay and she could then be personally on the hook for all damages/injuries you caused (unless you carry your own insurance on a different vehicle). And your grandmother, in turn, could sue you. In other words, you would not be charged with a crime or motor vehicle violation...but you could be held civilly liable...not to mention turn your grandmother's world upside down.

Your best bet is to contact your grandmother's insurance company and find out under what circumstances they require another driver to be added to the policy. This often is the case for people who live in the same household and have regular access to the vehicle. If you care about your grandmother at all you'll do the right thing and pay the premium to add yourself to the policy.

Comment

Since you plan to bomb someone, there's THAT issue to deal with...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        Since you plan to bomb someone, there's THAT issue to deal with...
        Well he might just like to eat them, at least the ones he finds yummy.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Do you have a valid driver's license? Do you have your own insurance on a different vehicle?

As long as you have the owner's permission and as long as the vehicle is insured you'd be fine as far as law enforcement is concerned. However, if you were to get into an accident your grandma's insurance company might refuse to pay and she could then be personally on the hook for all damages/injuries you caused (unless you carry your own insurance on a different vehicle). And your grandmother, in turn, could sue you. In other words, you would not be charged with a crime or motor vehicle violation...but you could be held civilly liable...not to mention turn your grandmother's world upside down.

Your best bet is to contact your grandmother's insurance company and find out under what circumstances they require another driver to be added to the policy. This often is the case for people who live in the same household and have regular access to the vehicle. If you care about your grandmother at all you'll do the right thing and pay the premium to add yourself to the policy.
          Im looking to get on her insurance the money is an issue at the moment though, but yeah i have a valid CA license and no I dont have another vehicle or any other kind of insurance

Comment

I see you having more of a problem w/ her insurance company (in the event of an accident) than the police. I just asked a retired 'Sr. Claims Adjustor.' Now keep in mind this is for my state. You would be ok as (here) you would be considered a 'permissive' driver and the damage would be covered. The question of liability (if you hurt someone in the accident) is 'iffy.'
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
              I see you having more of a problem w/ her insurance company (in the event of an accident) than the police. I just asked a retired 'Sr. Claims Adjustor.' Now keep in mind this is for my state. You would be ok as (here) you would be considered a 'permissive' driver and the damage would be covered. The question of liability (if you hurt someone in the accident) is 'iffy.'
              Pretty much the same in my state............
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12184 users online. 301 members and 11883 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X