X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duqjeep2010
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2010

Radar work through window?

Working in the area of LE I do I don't run traffic. On my way to work today, I saw a State Trooper with his radar pointed through a closed window. Yes, I am certain it was a radar gun, and his window was closed. Never really pondered it before I saw that today.
  • Jim1648
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2005

That is how they work. In fact, I haven't seen a radar unit with an external antenna in years. There are probably plenty of cops here who have never seen a radar with an external antenna that mounted on the window!

Comment

• Iowa #1603
      Senior Veteran
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Jim1648
      That is how they work. In fact, I haven't seen a radar unit with an external antenna in years. There are probably plenty of cops here who have never seen a radar with an external antenna that mounted on the window!
      I do........................
      I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• Curt5811
        Forum Member
        • Feb 2016

Of course it does. In fact, if you look closely at the antenna (cone), you'll see a clear or translucent plastic cover where it transmits. The beam goes through that, doesn't it?

Originally posted by Jim1648
        KR10 baby!

I grew up listening to the song of those things.

Eeeeeeee
        Last edited by Curt5811; 09-20-2017, 05:53 PM.
        You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
          Senior Veteran
          • Aug 2007

Here was my first radar MR7
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• DeaconSteve
            Per Gratiam Salvi Fiant
            • May 2016

We had a HR12 that was barely still in use, but we used it. That is until my crazy sergeant decided to modify the unit. He didn't like the cords limit, so he took off the original wire and replaced it with a 25 foot extension cord. Needless to say once the Chief found out about that, he wasn't impressed.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
              Senior Veteran
              • Aug 2007

When I first started (1976) we had a SMALL one person police department in my county. They had a squad car with a SPEEDALYSER installed

The big bulb DID hook over the window just like my MR7 antenna did................

It was just as accurate as my radar was
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• DeaconSteve
                Per Gratiam Salvi Fiant
                • May 2016

Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                When I first started (1976) we had a SMALL one person police department in my county. They had a squad car with a SPEEDALYSER installed

The big bulb DID hook over the window just like my MR7 antenna did................

It was just as accurate as my radar was
                I feel the radioactive isotopes tingling over my body just by looking at that picture. Speedalyser, LOL!

Comment

• bpd303
                  Nearly Normal
                  • May 2015

Yep... good old handheld units, laying in your lap when not targeting. I lost half my junk 20 years later because of one.
                  Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                  In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                  Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                  Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

• Keaner1476
                    Forum Member
                    • Jun 2014

I have only been a radar operator for 18 months and my first radar had an exterior mount. The Pro 1000 which only had one antenna too. I finally got upgraded recently to a Golden Eagle II. Hopefully gonna get into a Lidar School and get a Lidar and a Raptor Radar

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11901 users online. 65 members and 11836 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...