Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officers, what is one violation you won't let slide?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officers, what is one violation you won't let slide?

Meaning: What violations do you automatically give tickets for? I have heard many officers who hardly write tickets, and others that are the complete opposite.

Speeding in circles around town late at night with the music blaring.

Comment

• bizzle
      bizzle commented
      Editing a comment
      haha ya got me there >_<

Speeding by more than about 7-8mph
    Using a mobile phone whilst driving
    Red lights
    Being neck and neck with the police car and going through a yellow light that I can stop for
    Seat belts
    Drink driving
    Expired registration
    Not using indicator signals
    Disobeying turn requirement signs
    Disobeying road markings

Probably just easier to say: anything and everything

Comment

Failing to yield to emergency vehicles.

And blocking intersections.
      semper destravit

Comment

Just as soon as I say this or that, I will find someone violating that law and end up giving a warning for one reason or another. So, I guess it just depends. I can't even say DWI, because I have had a few occurrences where someone was clearly over the legal limit, but satisfactorily performed SFSTs, and the reason I stopped them was not due to suspicion of DWI. (Didn't let them drive away though). Probably child restraint or contributing to the delinquency of a minor would guarantee a charge though.

Comment

I don't really conduct traffic stops anymore...but early in my career I wrote most infractions and only gave breaks under rare circumstances. Over the years it changed to where I would give a lot more warnings than tickets. However, one personal "rule" I had throughout my patrol days was that if someone did something stupid with a child in the car they were getting a cite because 1) they are endangering the child, 2) they are setting a poor example for the child, and 3) I would also be teaching the child that they can just get away with breaking the law.

Other infractions that would guarantee a ticket were speeding in school zones, passing a stopped school bus and speeding through construction zones. Anybody who endangers the most vulnerable traffic participants deserves a citation.

Comment

DUI. Lost too many friends to them. (plus one w/ brain damage.) There is no excuse with Uber, Lyft etc.
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Lit cigarette tossed from the car.

Comment

• Zeitgeist
                Zeitgeist commented
                Editing a comment
                yep, that provoke me

Edited – misjudged audience
              Last edited by BTDT2; 09-13-2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

When genius thinks that my patrol vehicle parked blocking traffic lanes with the lights activated means they should drive around it.

Comment

• Zeitgeist
                  Zeitgeist commented
                  Editing a comment
                  been there. The court hammered him when I cited him.

Child safety seats and blue lights on vehicles.

Comment

Removed, no longer a cop
                  Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                  USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                  "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                  Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

When I was on the streets, I didn't like issuing cites. I'd rather explain the violation, let them know how much it would cost them and give them a warning. The idea being to (in theory) keep people from doing it again. I worked in the hood and most peeps were barely getting by. If the violator was obnoxious, belligerent or just completely denied any wrong doing, they dictated whether a cite was issued or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                      When I was on the streets, I didn't like issuing cites. I'd rather explain the violation, let them know how much it would cost them and give them a warning. The idea being to (in theory) keep people from doing it again. I worked in the hood and most peeps were barely getting by. If the violator was obnoxious, belligerent or just completely denied any wrong doing, they dictated whether a cite was issued or not.
                      I get the whole "barely getting by" thing... except, being broke never seems to prevent them from driving like idiots, speeding, running red lights, whatever... with no insurance, no registration, and a revoked or suspended license status, and most often a few warrants.

I say "status", because they've never passed a driving test or held an actual license. You would think they would go out of their way to drive like angels so they wouldnt get pulled over, but that isnt the case. I guess people in that situation think they are exempt from traffic law. They sure arent worried about getting tickets. They know theyre never going to pay them, so who cares?

The only thing that will stop some drivers from driving dangerously is to impound the car... and thats a fact.
                      You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post

I get the whole "barely getting by" thing... except, being broke never seems to prevent them from driving like idiots, speeding, running red lights, whatever... with no insurance, no registration, and a revoked or suspended license status, and most often a few warrants.

I say "status", because they've never passed a driving test or held an actual license. You would think they would go out of their way to drive like angels so they wouldnt get pulled over, but that isnt the case. I guess people in that situation think they are exempt from traffic law. They sure arent worried about getting tickets. They know theyre never going to pay them, so who cares?

The only thing that will stop some drivers from driving dangerously is to impound the car... and thats a fact.
                        I agree with what you're saying. I'm talking minor violations, not no insurance, no license etc. That = impound

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8978 users online. 345 members and 8633 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X