Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle annoying drivers

I've been wondering what the best way to handle this situation is:

Last night I was driving on the highway and traffic was light. I was going 5 over the limit with my cruise set. I passed one car and just a minute later that car was gaining on me, passed me and moved into my lane. A minute later without changing my speed I was gaining on this car and pulled into the left lane to pass it. When I got alongside this car it gradually sped up and then remained alongside me at the same speed. I saw that it was a young girl lost in her cell phone conversation. I sped up to get past her and move into the right lane and then she sped up again and proceeded to ride in my blind spot. I slowed down and she passed me so I moved back into the right lane and resumed my original speed, then eventually I was gaining on her again. I stepped it up to about 9 over the limit and passed her and then remained at that speed, and guess what, soon she was catching up to me again so I stepped it up a few more and got away from her and then my exit was ahead so I got off the road.

This kind of driver makes a relaxing drive not so relaxing. I do not like driving on the highway with someone riding alongside me or in my blind spot. During busy times this is usually unavoidable but in light traffic it is really irritating when someone insists on driving in my "comfort zone".

The last time I encountered one of these idiots I lost my cool and floored it and it just so happened there was a cop running RADAR up ahead so I got nailed for speeding.

What should a driver do in a situation like this besides put up with it?

I'm not really sure what answer you are looking for as the other driver didn't (from what you described) break any traffic laws, except for a few miles over the limit. If she was "lost in her cell phone" I doubt she was playing games with you. Your road rage earned you a ticket in the past, could have easily earned another this time. I hate when drivers cut me off without signaling, fly by me on the right, etc. but drive in my blind spot? That's a new one to me.

Comment

No, the driver didn't break any laws but was unnecessarily annoying. My issue with this is that it was 11:00 PM and we were the only 2 cars on the road so there was no reason for this car to be constantly hanging so close to me. I have no problem if a driver wants to fly be me on the right (or left). When another driver does something that causes me to have to react, it can sometimes be an issue and this driver was doing it over and over. I was unable to stay in one lane with my cruise set because I was having to continually change lanes, speed up, and slow down because of this driver.

I hate when drivers cut me off without signaling
      Does that mean it's OK for a driver to cut you off as long as they signal when they do it?

Comment

Why not enjoy it a little? You'll feel superior and smart.

She wants to be just in front of you. So slow down 1 mph per minute and see how slow she'll go. Or drive behind her in the left lane for awhile, since no other cars are around, and see if she will cut you off that way. I'm not saying try to make her angry; just give back what you're getting.

Of course, next time it will be a drunk, angry NFL cornerback and he will run you off the road and beat you senseless. So maybe a better plan would be to pull over for 5 minutes. She'll be long gone for the rest of your trip.
        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by Ibogi
          Does that mean it's OK for a driver to cut you off as long as they signal when they do it?
          If they signal...sure, I can live with it. If they don't, it ****es me off. BUT, I don't play the speed up/slow down, change lanes, drive into their blind spot games. Handled way too many fatals to play around.

Comment

I figure if someone like that is so involved in something else (or just that bad a driver) that their speed continually varies within a 10 MPH range they can just as easily lose track of their lane when they are right alongside me. That's why I'm uncomfortable when somebody is riding in my blind spot unnecessarily. I suppose exiting and getting back on would allow enough time for someone like that to get just a mile ahead and out of my hair.

Comment

I was unable to stay in one lane with my cruise set because I was having to continually change lanes, speed up, and slow down because of this driver.
              Here is a thought. Turn off the cruise and grow up.
              John 3:16

Comment

Last edited by Christyle; 04-19-2007, 03:21 PM.
                Your mom...

Comment

Here is a thought. Turn off the cruise and grow up.
                  Excuse me but who needs to grow up? I'd say the idiot whose cell phone conversation takes priority over their driving.....that and Redbird07.

Comment

Look, don't stress yourself over the minor stuff. If I were in a similar situation, I would've sped up (I don't recommend this), slowed down, made 2 u-turns, or just changed my hip hop CD to something a little more relaxing so I don't go "MEIDEVAL ON HER A**". But seriously, lighten up because this is what road rages are made of. If she was really on the phone, maybe she wasn't doing it intentionally and there really isn't anything you can do to her anyway.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

What should a driver do in a situation like this besides put up with it?
                      I usually turn on my lights and make all the other drivers panic and dive onto the shoulder.
                      The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Maybe there should be a "You were being annoying" Infraction. Would that solve it?

Comment

*Removed*

PM'd my response to "Ibogi"
                          Last edited by Consultant; 04-19-2007, 06:46 AM. Reason: Had 9 threads open, didn't realize this was "ask a cop"
                          I'm back in the game baby.

Not a LEO.

Comment

Excuse me but who needs to grow up? I'd say the idiot whose cell phone conversation takes priority over their driving.....that and Redbird07.
                            Heres another thought. Learn how to read. Only LEO's reply on this site. All others banned on first offence.

My point was if the driver next to you is bothering you. Turn off the cruise, pull over, slow down, whatever. Just get out of the situation. You would be the person speeding while listening to music.
                            John 3:16

Comment

Excuse me but WHO needs to learn how to read?
                              The original poster can be ANYONE, but those who reply should be the ORIGINAL POSTER and LAW ENFORCEMENT personnel ONLY.
                              You would be the person speeding while listening to music.
                              What does this have do with ANYTHING and who are you to assume anything about me?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10360 users online. 352 members and 10008 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X