Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED taillights

Deleted post
    Last edited by rengaw87; 04-02-2020, 09:11 PM.

Deleted post

Comment

I don't know about using LED tail lamps as 'aftermarket' equipment on an older car, but LEDs come as factory-installed lights on many new vehicles. I suppose you would have to check your state's vehicle code and be sure that the LED lights/lenses have a "DOT" affixed to the housing.

Good luck!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

These are from the NY Vehicle and Traffic laws

3. if manufactured on or after January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, at least two lighted lamps on the rear, one on each side, which lamps shall display a red light visible from the rear for a distance of at least one thousand feet; and
        (b) All lamps used on a motor vehicle except a motorcycle shall be so arranged, adjusted and operated, as to avoid dangerous glare or d***le. Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this subdivision, the upper outline of any beam of d***ling light projected to the left of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle by the lowermost light distribution of a headlamp designed to produce more than one light distribution, or by the single light distribution of any other lamp used on such a motor vehicle, shall not rise higher than the lamp center at a distance of twenty-five feet nor higher than forty-two inches at a distance of seventy-five feet. In each case, the height of the beam shall be measured from the plane upon which the vehicle stands and the distance shall be measured from the lamp projecting the light.
        40. Stop lamps. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, if manufactured prior to January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, shall be equipped with at least one stop lamp which shall display a red to amber light visible at least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle when the brake of such vehicle is applied.

(b) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, if manufactured on or after January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, shall be equipped with at least two stop lamps, one on each side, each of which shall display a red to amber light visible at least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle when the brake of such vehicle is applied.
        Does any of this help?
        IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
        -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

Deleted post

Comment

I am going to post this in the NY area of officer.com and see what of responses I get. If you do not mind
            IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
            -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

One question about those taillights. Do they pulse when activated? I've seen some aftermarket LED taillights that pulse and those are technically illegal (at least around here.) Personally, I really like the pulsing variety because they really get your attention. As of yet, the vehicle code hasn't caught up with them yet.
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

As long as they are DOT approved you shouldn't have any problems. I believe DOT is federal and by that it superseds (spelling) state law.
                "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Deleted post
                  Last edited by rengaw87; 04-02-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

rgv_cop is correct, but you also should be forewarned. Every led in the tail lens better work. If just one dot (led) is out you could and most likely get a ticket for a lighting equipment violation (depending on officer).

It could be looked at like for example a tractor trailer with 100 marker lights (chicken lights) if one is out, it’s a ticket in most states. Its just your 100 lights are in a 12"X8" area.

Comment

It is illegal in my state to alter the tail lights from the original manufacturer guidelines. I do not know anyone who enforces it including myself. I think it makes vehicles safer. There are some after market lights that are not LEd and are really small and difficult to see especially during the day which can bring civil liability or traffic citations that I agree with enforcing.
                      If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Comment

Be careful with that "DOT approved" logo, US DOT does not approve or disapprove lighting devices. Lighting devices, both original equipment and aftermarket, must meet the specifications in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. The manufacturers SELF CERTIFY that their devices meet FMVSS108. It the manufacturers lie and put DOT approved on the box or on the item, guess who still gets the ticket.

A number of years ago, when the clear /white "euro" style aftermarket lenses came out, they all said DOT approved on them. SAE Lens Markings are stamped into the lens (a series of letter/numbers on the lenses which correspond to different segments of the lenses, i.e, A=Reflex Reflector, I=Turn signal lamp, R=Backup lamp, S=Stop lapm, T=Tail lamp, P2=Side marker lamp)

Where the lenses did not comply with FMVSS108, the corresponding letter was left off of the device. So only parts of it were truly compliant with FMVSS108. Of course, the people buying these taillights did not understand this.
                        FMVSS108 requires that REPLACEMENT lights/lenses shall conform to the standard (S5.8.1)
                        The standard also specifies the size of the lens, Stop lamp lens shall be not less than 50 square centimeters (S5.1.1.26.(a))

Concerning flashing tail or stop lamps they are not legal per FMVSS108- S5.5.10
                        FMVSS108 supercedes State laws so a State law can not allow tail or stop lamps which flash. State laws follow FMVSS108 so there are State statutes which can be used to enforce these standards.

There are a lot of ways that your aftermarket M/C lights can be illegal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5174 users online. 373 members and 4801 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X