300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeeps driving with the doors off

Just a quickie, I had a poke around in the vehicle code but couldn't find anything (of course I've learnt that the search engine is pants - searching for "three wheel" won't match "three-wheel").

I'm waiting on the delivery of a 2007 Wrangler and when spring/summer rolls around next year I'm half toying with the idea of taking the doors off along with the roof (mainly just because I can ) since I don't drive too far or too fast for the wind to bother me.

How legal is this? I've seen a fair few people driving around like this but I don't know whether it's perfectly legal or if the local PDs just let it slide.
    Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Dithyrambe Sur La Fête Des Rois -- Denis Diderot (1713 - 1784)

I can only speak for the State of Alabama, however, I know of no law which would prohibit you from removing the doors and topper of a Jeep. The have the rollbar and seatbelts in place even though the items mentioned are removed. As long as you wear the safety belt...I see no problems coming through my State.

Comment

Is there a CHP office near you?

Drop in and ask the desk officer, he/she will be able to answer your question. The VC is their "bible".
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

NO PROBLEM--As long as you have a seat belt and wear it.
        Does a Motorcycle have doors?

Comment

It could be illegal. It is in Michigan, in fact. Motor Vehicle Code states that if a vehicle has doors equipped from the factory, it must be equipped with them on the road.

I've never ever heard of anybody getting pulled over for it, and I definately won't pull anybody over for it.

I really wouldn't worry about it. I don't think anybody is going to pick on you for driving around in a Jeep with the top & doors off in Southern California!!! So go get your Jeep, take off the parts that aren't supposed to be there (top & doors), then fill it with scantily-clad beach bunnies and go drive around.

Comment

Originally posted by xraodcop
            NO PROBLEM--As long as you have a seat belt and wear it.
            Does a Motorcycle have doors?
            I always wear my seat belt.

Motorcycles don't come with doors so you can hardly be faulted for removing them, however as Sabre said, in MI, if it comes with doors you have to leave them on, that's the area I'm wishing to check.

I'll call the CHP and see what they say, I've seen enough without doors to say that it's certainly very common if it isn't actually legal, but since older jeeps come with doors made of canvas, I can't imagine they'd be required to keep those so I doubt I'll be required to keep mine.
            Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Comment

What about UPS, FedEx, US Postal Service or the myriads of bread trucks that have "sliding" side doors on their step vans? During warmer months, they can drive with both of them in the 'open' position. Seems to me that would be nearly the same as driving with them totally removed.

Just hope that these guys have their seat belts fastened!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by Dolmen
                I'll call the CHP and see what they say, I've seen enough without doors to say that it's certainly very common if it isn't actually legal, but since older jeeps come with doors made of canvas, I can't imagine they'd be required to keep those so I doubt I'll be required to keep mine.

Don't call...drop in and talk to the desk officer. He will bring out the "bible" and show you the code.

Ignorance is no excuse. just because you see others.

Tell ya what..I'll drop in and ask.....I've got a little time before you start dismantling it right?

note to self: stop at chipie office before coffee
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

there's one problem with it. i don't know about how legal it is, but my cousin has a wrangler (don't know what year) and he has the roof and doors off. problem is having loose junk in it. because you hit the highway and that stuff is GONE. so i guess in a way it's a legal problem, we racked up a lot of would-be fines in littering going down I-70. don't even wear a hat. it was hard for me to breath at times driving in that thing.

Comment

Here in BC, Canada, you must have doors installed on a vehicle if it came from the factory that way. Early 1970's was the last time Jeep offered doors as an option. If is has hinges or striker posts, expect to get a ticket from me. Unsafe. Want wind on your thighs...ride a motorcycle like I do.

Comment

Here in MD, (as far as I know), if the doors are built removable from the factory, then you can take them off, meaning if the doors are designed to come off. One thing to also check on is your mirror requirement. While the doors can come off, you would probably still be required to have your mirrors. I believe the wranglers mirrors are attached to the doors so that would be an issue. Most other jeeps with removable doors, such as the CJ-7 have the mirrors attached to the body of the vehicle just in front of the doors.

Comment

Ok, so I finally managed to get to the CHP (they're only open when I'm at work, that's handy).

According to the desk sgt (who gave me a "why wouldn't it be?" look), provided you retain the driver's side mirror (there is a bracket you can buy that'll let you do this) then it's perfectly legal to drive with the doors off in California.

Comment

UPS, USPS, and FedEx does it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogerthump
                            UPS, USPS, and FedEx does it all the time.
                            Everyone here drives at 10-20 over the posted limit too, it doesn't make it legal

If I'm breaking the law I like to know that I'm breaking the law

Comment

here as long as you have a mirror then your fine. ive owned jeeps for the past 10 years and been doing it ever since without any problems. i even did a stint in michigan and took the doors off all the time and was never stopped there either. it was built up as a rock crawler though so even the cops that took notice always wanted to know about it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4860 users online. 270 members and 4590 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X