300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar Detectors

What are your views on this are they legal to use in Phoenix,Arizona. Some say they are and some they are not.Can you shed some light on this.

In my state they are legal, but I lower my standards if I see a vehicle with one. I usually write for 20 and above but if the vehicle had a rd, Ill write at 13 or above and there a very few excuses that I will accept. If I see one at an intersection and I see a non moving violation such as an expired plate, I will likely write a ticket. If I use my radar correctly, a radar detector is useless. I have the speed long before the driver has the chance to slow down. Just having a RD is an indicator that you plan to speed and are trying to conceal it. There is no I did not know I was going that fast excuse.
    If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Comment

They ARE illegal in the State of Virginia...and if you have one when I stop you, you will be leaving with two invitations to traffic court
      Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Legal in Ohio. And, as saranac said, usually a total waste of money. The only thing a radar detector will usually tell you is that you're about to get a ticket. Just wait a minute for the flashing red and blue lights to appear behind you and you'll have that information.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS FIMBRES
          What are your views on this are they legal to use in Phoenix,Arizona. Some say they are and some they are not.Can you shed some light on this.
          Obviously your question wasn’t answer as many cops don’t know really know the answer themselves.

There are only two states that currently prohibit radar detectors in non-commercial vehicles and they are Virginia and Washington DC. The rest of the 49 states have these devices as legal to use for non-commercial vehicles. As a matter of fact commercial vehicles have been prohibited from using radar detectors since 1995.

Now are they effective?? It depends, most give too much false positive and the driver doesn’t quite know until an actual visual has confirmed that the detention came from a cop’s radar and not some other source. In most cases the re-action is slower than the action. You can’t beat the radar fast enough to slow down in order to get within legal speed. You would have to slam on the brakes in order to change your speed drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS FIMBRES
            From the horse's mouth, yes, they are legal to use in not just Phoenix, but the entire state of Arizona.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

They ARE legal in Az. What you may be hearing is a radar JAMMER is illegal & I believe that's true since that's an FCC regulation. Also anything that covering the license plate like those plastic "photo-proof" covers are illegal under the State's "Illegible License Plate" statute.

Comment

Originally posted by FLPD698
                Now are they effective?? It depends, most give too much false positive and the driver doesn’t quite know until an actual visual has confirmed that the detention came from a cop’s radar and not some other source. In most cases the re-action is slower than the action. You can’t beat the radar fast enough to slow down in order to get within legal speed. You would have to slam on the brakes in order to change your speed drastically.
                This is absolutely right. To elaborate even more, if you do slam on your brakes, I can now use the sudden drop in speed and the nose dive of your car as even more evidence against you in court. The only way a radar detector is going to work is if you are in a crowd of vehicles and the officer is using a radar. If he's using a laser, it's your ***** because they are target specific and can get you a mile away.
                God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Don't forget that a radar detector will give the speeder a false sense of security. Sure, they may come in handy if you are in a cluster of cars or the officer is measuring the speed of vehicles well ahead of you. However, they won't do much against "instant on" radar guns - especially if Officer Friendly gets a good visual on you before he releases the hold button.

Furthermore, a radar detector is useless against other methods of speed measurement (VASCAR, E.S.P., stopwatch & lines, etc., etc.) - which do not transmit any type of signal that can be intercepted or jammed.

As far as their legality, I believe that Washington DC and Virginia are the only two places where they are unlawful in a passenger car. Radar detectors are verboten in all commercial vehicles (large trucks, buses, etc.) in every state, though.

If you are dead-set on wanting to speed, a good CB radio will do more for you than any type of radar detector. Tune into Channel 19 and you will be given "bear warnings" until your ears fall off.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

The top of the line radar detectors can be effective even if we're using instant on radar. The top 3 or 4 detectors can receive warnings up to 2 miles away and have very few false alerts. They've come a long way in the last 3 or 4 years. Newer detectors are invisible to a VG-2 as well. Heck, some will even detect if you have a VG-2 and go into stealth mode. I've been asking to get Spectre RDD's for a while now. They will detect all but one of the newer radar detectors. VSP seems to be happy with the crappy VG-2 though.

LIDAR and other lasers cannot get a reading a mile away. The beam gets wider the further out it goes, just like radar. Laser reflects just like radar, just not as much. The top detectors can pick up these reflections from a fair distance away. One court in the northeast (New Jersey I think) will not accept laser tickets for further than 1000 feet.

As long as many of us think that RD's don't work, these guys will have a leg up on us. The fact is that they do work and work well. There are cheap detectors that are junk (Cobra), but the top of the line detectors are very effective.

I use instant on and visual estimations as much as possible to combat radar detectors. I'll sit in one spot and not activate my radar for 10 or 15 minutes trying to get a high roller. It's about all I can do without a new Spectre.

Comment

Originally posted by dren
                      LIDAR and other lasers cannot get a reading a mile away. The beam gets wider the further out it goes, just like radar. Laser reflects just like radar, just not as much. The top detectors can pick up these reflections from a fair distance away. One court in the northeast (New Jersey I think) will not accept laser tickets for further than 1000 feet.
                      On a clear, sunny day I have obtained good speeds at approx. 5000 ' with a Kustom Pro 3. The farthest one I've written was 2500' and it held up in court. I would routinely write over 1000' and have only lost 1 in my career.
                      God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Radar Detectors

Not unlawful in Alabama, but not very wise either. Prior to my retirement from Alabama DPS, I really enjoyed writing violators with radar detectors. It was really fun to watch a few totally trash the device in my presence. Yah, it did happen. No problem with me as long as they didn't litter. On several occassions, a traffic stop that would normally have netted the violator a written warning, generated a Uniform Traffic Citation instead. Officer discrestion is indeed, a wonderful thing.

Comment

I love clocking people in an unmarked car at night, and you can see the $300 RD on the dash, just taking up space. Waste of money!
                          Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

if you have a radar detector and are speeding, don't ask "why are you stopping me officer?" you clearly already know why! just sit back and get comfortable because much like a snickers commercial you're "not going anywhere for a while". if you think it's ok to attempt to break the law by using a device to defeat law enforcement efforts to slow traffic and save lives, accept your citation willingly when it happens, and it will...
                            Train as if your life depends on it...

Comment

Okay, here's my question? If a radar detector is legal, is it really "fair" to ticket the owners of them more aggressively. I understand the concept of officer discretion, but I personally have made habits of driving slower since buying a cheap radar detector, partially due to the false positives. Is it wrong just to want to know when you're being zapped, even when you're not speeding?
                              "I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy..."

Huckabee '08!!!sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9821 users online. 178 members and 9643 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X