300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeading Traffic

I was issued a ticket for Impeading Traffic. I was really speeding but the officer gave it to me for that instead. He said that it would not count for points against my license. Is this correct? and is it considered a moving or non moving violation?

Originally posted by rocket97
    I was issued a ticket for Impeading Traffic. I was really speeding but the officer gave it to me for that instead. He said that it would not count for points against my license. Is this correct? and is it considered a moving or non moving violation?
    That's a misdemeanor in Indiana. Had that been here (Indiana), the speeding ticket woul dhave been the lesser offense. It sounds like a moving violation to me.

Comment

Here in VA, it would be a moving violation. While it is in our vehicle code, you almost never hear about it being enforced.

Were you going too slow in the passing lane? If you were causing traffic to back up behind you, it may have drawn attention from the officer who ticketed you.

Words to live by:
      "Keep right; pass left!"

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch

Here in VA, it would be a moving violation. While it is in our vehicle code, you almost never hear about it being enforced.

Were you going too slow in the passing lane? If you were causing traffic to back up behind you, it may have drawn attention from the officer who ticketed you.

Words to live by:
        "Keep right; pass left!"
        That is reckless driving here. And it is a moving violation.

Comment

You received the lesser of the two violations. The impeding violations does not carry any points, it is just a fine. If you would have received the speeding violation you would receive points and a fine, and it would make your insurance go up. Hope this helps you out.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch

Words to live by:
            "Keep right; pass left!"
            I'm in VA also and have a question. Let's say you are driving the speed limit, and it happens to be 65 mph. If you're in the left lane and traffic is starting to back up behind you because you are not exceeding the speed limit (We all know realistically that VA interstate speeds are 75-80 mph), than are you guilty of impeading traffic?

Comment

thanks scspd231 and everyone for the info.....

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
                I'm in VA also and have a question. Let's say you are driving the speed limit, and it happens to be 65 mph. If you're in the left lane and traffic is starting to back up behind you because you are not exceeding the speed limit (We all know realistically that VA interstate speeds are 75-80 mph), than are you guilty of impeading traffic?

In Louisiana, YES! Move over! I get a perverse pleasure in issuing these citations
                Last edited by GIPD; 12-14-2006, 03:54 PM.
                My dog can find your HONOR STUDENT when he's lost in the woods
                ~~
                If dogs dont go to heaven, then I want to go where they go.

Comment

No, you are not. I have once however written a gentleman for speeding and impeding traffic. When I turned my blue lights on he slammed on the brakes, I juked around him and he was struck by the vehicle behind me. I walked back to the accident and issued one summons for speed and one for Impeding traffic. I can't prove it but I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose too. Oh well, He got his karm-uppance that day.

Comment

I'm in VA also and have a question. Let's say you are driving the speed limit, and it happens to be 65 mph. If you're in the left lane and traffic is starting to back up behind you because you are not exceeding the speed limit (We all know realistically that VA interstate speeds are 75-80 mph), than are you guilty of impeding traffic?

Good question, Josh. You are not the first person who has wondered about this problem with US drivers, particularly in East Coast states. VA and MD are terrible breeding grounds for left-lane bandits, although they can probably be found just about anywhere.

Whether or not you would be cited for the offense above, I would say that it probably depends upon the trooper who witnesses your actions. You technically could be cited for 'disregarding a road sign' if the road is posted with signs that say, "Slower Traffic Keep Right" -- although this is virtually guaranteed not to happen in Virginia.

Very few troopers are going to break out the pen for you when you are obeying the speed limit (even in the passing lane), despite such action on your part being dangerous, inconsiderate and often the root cause of "road rage" among your fellow motorists.

Keep in mind that when you are doing 65 mph, the car behind you may be running 63 or 64, the third car will be hitting 61 or 62; and then you soon end up with a half-mile traffic jam behind you -- with others trying to pass on the right (where the blind spots are bigger) or bob & weave around you.

Anyone who has ever driven on I-95, I-495 or even I-66 will understand exactly what I mean!!

You could also be written up for a violation of the vehicle code that pertains to traffic keeping to the right-most lane (when feasible) on multi-lane highways. But again, it is a slim-to-none chance that the egregious offenders are ever ticketed or even pulled over to get lectured.

---------------------------------------------------------------
                    § 46.2-804. Special regulations applicable on highways laned for traffic.

Whenever any roadway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic, drivers of vehicles shall obey the following:

1. Any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, shall be driven in the lane nearest the right edge or right curb of the highway when such lane is available for travel except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or where right lanes are reserved for slow-moving traffic as permitted in this section; { snip }
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty plain in the wording, but I doubt too many judges will hit someone with a guilty conviction if they were perceived as trying to obey the law by not exceeding the posted speed limit. Political correctness, revenue enhancement (in some places) and the dumbing down of society have replaced having safe, smooth, swift and efficient highways as an objective.

Perhaps instead of "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs, we ought to change them to read "Keep Right - Except To Pass" or something less vague. Of course, the big problem is that nobody wants to consider themselves as "slower" traffic, even if they do poke along at the minimum velocity to maintain consciousness.

"Keep Right - Except To Pass" would probably be easier to enforce, too.

This whole issue reminds me of George Carlin who once chimed in that "Anyone who drives slower than you is and idiot; but a guy who drives faster than you is a maniac.".

Last edited by VA Dutch; 12-13-2006, 06:17 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

impeding traffic, also known as blockading is a non-abtracted no point violation. non-abstracted means that it is not reported to the secretary of state(unless you fail to pay) therefore it doesn't show up on your driving record. Where I work, the fine is a bit more than the speeding violation, but you save money on the insurance/points.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket97
                        Here in Michigan it is a moving violation civil infraction. Usually if someone goes to court to fight a speeding ticket and gives the judge the "I don't want the points but I will pay the ticket" argument the judge will amend it to impeeding traffic. No points. Same fine.
                        Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Comment

I'd say got to court...plead not guilty to impeding traffic and tell the judge that you'd like to hear the officer testify as to why you were impeding traffic! You might get the charged dismissed?

Comment

nah, i wont fight it, I was guilty as hell. i was going 81 in a 70mph. i guess it is a blessing that i got the impeding ticket instead of speeding. i imagine he ran my record and it shows i have never received a ticket and he didnt want to be the first!

Comment

you could try and fight it, however, in court, our magistrate will amend the ticket to the original charge, hold a hearing and if found responsible, you get the fine and the points associated with the original charge...so have your day in court(lose pay for work), then get hit with the fine and points. Kinda crazy.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7761 users online. 446 members and 7315 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X