Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forced Right-Turn Lane... Must You Use Your Blinker?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas

Don't think to much about that one Chools - you are in Texas, and you must signal every turn, lane change, or pretty much any left or right movement of your vehicle every time - Even if you are the only one on the road for miles.

And as for the comment someone made about Texas police "exempt" license plates - I sure hope you were kidding, because the "exempt" only means it is a government vehicle and exempt from annual registration. School districts & fire departments have the exact same license plate.

And as for being exempt from the traffic laws in a Texas police car, the only traffic law we are always exempt from is speeding. You are only exempt from all other traffic laws when on an emergency response or while chasing or catching up to a suspected violator.
    Last edited by TGM; 09-10-2006, 04:56 PM.
    Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TGM
      And as for the comment someone made about Texas police "exempt" license plates - I sure hope you were kidding, because the "exempt" only means it is a government vehicle and exempt from annual registration. School districts & fire departments have the exact same license plate.
      Did you not the after that sentence in my post? I thought that made it pretty clear I was being tongue and cheek with that comment.
      Last edited by Northtechsan; 09-27-2006, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i
        Indiana Vehicle Code states you must signal your intention to turn 200 feet prior.

Signaling lane changes are optional when said action does not effect any other vehicle.
        Its the opposite in Wisconsin. Signalling turns is optional if the turn does not impact any other traffic. Lane changes are mandatory signals.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Indiana

Indiana Vehicle Code states you must signal your intention to turn 200 feet prior.

Signaling lane changes are optional when said action does not effect any other vehicle.
          IC 9-21-8-25
          Turn signals
          Sec. 25. A signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously during not less than the last two hundred (200) feet traveled by a vehicle before turning or changing lanes. A vehicle traveling in a speed zone of at least fifty (50) miles per hour shall give a signal continuously for not less than the last three hundred (300) feet traveled by the vehicle before turning or changing lanes.

The suggestion of not be required to signal, if other traffic is not effected, is not actually stated in statute. That concept came from a traffic court case decision several years ago. Some courts accept it and others don’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
            The suggestion of not be required to signal, if other traffic is not effected, is not actually stated in statute. That concept came from a traffic court case decision several years ago. Some courts accept it and others don’t.
            Yep. Local courts will only uphold the citation if you state that other traffic, not including your patrol unit ('cuz we don't count I guess) were effected by the drivers actions.

It kind of ****es me off because we have a couple like that. If that is the way they want to play it, then they need to change the statute. It's like busted windshields here. I have to show that the windshield was so damaged that it seriously reduces the drivers forward view. I actually have to have crime scene take a picture of the windshield.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Yep. Local courts will only uphold the citation if you state that other traffic, not including your patrol unit ('cuz we don't count I guess) were effected by the drivers actions.

It kind of ****es me off because we have a couple like that. If that is the way they want to play it, then they need to change the statute. It's like busted windshields here. I have to show that the windshield was so damaged that it seriously reduces the drivers forward view. I actually have to have crime scene take a picture of the windshield.
              So much for supporting the police... Are yo sure we dont work in the same county?

Comment

Originally posted by the Chools
                with as many questions as you ask here and admit you don't know much of the vehicle code when you are out driving

[COLOR=Purple]NorthTex very kindly provided a link to the Texas codes, and I've marked it and am working my way through it.

How is god's name did you pass the written driver's test when you were 16 in the first place?

Jesus this is a perfect example of why people are such horrible driver's these days. I had to take evasive the other day because some 16 year old princess just got daddy's new honda out for a spin. She just couldn't understand why I wrote her for FTY, Careless, and No Signal. Well sorrrrrrryyyyyy you almost scalped the side of our brand new car because your an idiot and now your crying at me? Press hard your making 4 copies.
                Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

So much hostility I sense on this topic for a simple lane change.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

In Montana a signal is only required if your turn or lane change affects other traffic, this includes the cop behind you. So... in the situations described, like exiting a freeway, you probably are not required to use it until you are entering the next road or highway after exiting the freeway.

Although I would always recommend using your turn signal for every lane change or turn.

Comment

^In NC, the NC supreme court has ruled that in order for the charge of fail to use directional, can only be charged if the person not using the signal affects other traffic, however this does NOT include the police officer. there was a big case, someone pulled a car that stopped at a stop sign, made a right turn, no signal, got pulled, gave consent search, and they found dope, and arrested them. It was thrown out, because it said the stop was unlawful, because they didn't affect other traffic, so he should not have been stopped in the first place. Yes its a bunch of....bull..but oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by rgv_cop
                        So much hostility I sense on this topic for a simple lane change.
                        I almost get crunched every time I get on my motorcycle because some tool decides to change lanes without signaling or checking mirrors.

OR my favorite, change lanes, then when your tires are ALREADY in the other lane, then signal.

It's gotten bad enough that I am going to start "tapping" on mirrors when they do that.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                          So much for supporting the police... Are yo sure we dont work in the same county?
                          Does the Ohio river run through it?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3304 users online. 172 members and 3132 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X