Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forced Right-Turn Lane... Must You Use Your Blinker?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced Right-Turn Lane... Must You Use Your Blinker?

If you're in a lane that is "exit only" or "right turn only" or "all cars must exit", for example, must you have your turn signal on? I mean, everyone knows you're gonna make that turn.

Incidentally, I always DO have my signal on (99.8% of the time, anyway), for ALL turns and lane changes. I'm just curious about this situation.

Yes, you are required to signal all turns, lane chanes and stops.

Comment

If you have to ask, Chools. Go shred your license.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Yes you do, In TX you also have to signal your intent to turn 100 Ft before the intersection.

All you ever need to know about the rules in the road in Texas can be found here-http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf

Comment

What precentage would you say actually use their turn signals in N. TX?

Originally posted by Northtechsan
          Yes you do, In TX you also have to signal your intent to turn 100 Ft before the intersection.

All you ever need to know about the rules in the road in Texas can be found here-http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
            0.0000009%

But when your board on a Sunday afternoon its makes a great excuse for a traffic contacts (no I dont cite for that) , and good PC for late night stops and warrant checks.

Comment

Originally posted by Northtechsan
              0.0000009%
              Pretty much what I've noticed also, even with the marked patrol cars included.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Pretty much what I've noticed also, even with the marked patrol cars included.
                The plates on my patrol car say "exempt"

However even though the state traffic code 546.001. PERMISSIBLE CONDUCT. Provides Police cars the exemption to the Traffic Code. Most Department Policies in the North Texas area require officers to follow the rules of the road and to set a good example for the rest of the public.

Comment

.0000009%

That's a pet peeve of mine. How many times have I come too close to someone's rear, because he slowed without signaling his upcoming turn? If someone wants to merge, and has a signal on, I generally let him in. But if he is not signaling, No Way, Jose.

And if he's on his CELL PHONE, I NEVER let him in. Instead, I do the "no-no" with my finger, and hold up the sign I carry (it's also painted on the back of my van): "Hang up and DRIVE!"

Comment

Turn Signals

Signaling a turn, lane change or partial turn is required in VA........but this law almost never, ever, ever is enforced. Heck, fewer than 50 percent of on-duty cops ever even use their blinkers (and I am being generous).

Aside from being inconsiderate and showing oneself to be just plain lazy, failure to signal an impending directional change can be downright dangerous - particularly on multi-lane highways. Nothing gets the blood pressure up quicker than trying to move from the right lane to the center lane when some dipstick in the left lane does the same thing without signaling. Of course, he'll give you the "You are #1" hand gesture for not being clairvoyant.

How much effort does it actually take to move one's big, fat finger up a few inches? Almost every car now has a 'lane change' feature incorporated into the turn signal stalk, so you don't even have to return it after making the turn signal flash a few times.

Yes, this is also a pet peeve of mine -- always has and always will be. This ranks right up there with idiots who toss cigarette butts out of their window because they're too lazy or too stupid to use their ashtray.
                    :finger:

Last edited by VA Dutch; 09-03-2006, 04:30 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

-- Duplicate Post --

{Sorry!}

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Indiana Vehicle Code states you must signal your intention to turn 200 feet prior.

Signaling lane changes are optional when said action does not effect any other vehicle.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by the Chools
                          That's a pet peeve of mine. How many times have I come too close to someone's rear, because he slowed without signaling his upcoming turn? If someone wants to merge, and has a signal on, I generally let him in. But if he is not signaling, No Way, Jose.

And if he's on his CELL PHONE, I NEVER let him in. Instead, I do the "no-no" with my finger, and hold up the sign I carry (it's also painted on the back of my van): "Hang up and DRIVE!"

I apologize in advance but I must rant.

You are one of the major reasons why there are accidents and road rage on our streets. You are not the police...do not try to be. If someone is trying to merge without a signal....heres an idea....if you can tell hes trying to merge then let them. Maybe his turn signals are broken, maybe he has a burned out bulb, maybe he just didn't turn it on. Regardless..... just becuase they are being a rude driver you dont need to make the situation worse. And if you come too close to someone's rear end when they are going to make a turn it means you werent paying attention and are going too fast or following too close because even without a turn signal they have brake lights or they took their foot off the gas and you should be slowing down.

As far as the cell phone, in California it is not illegal to drive on the phone (it will be soon, but thats another story)...is it illegal where you are at? If it is....once again you are not the police..do not try to be as you are just going to cause yourself problems. If it's not illegal in your area then you have no right to judge another persons driving habit as YOU ARE TAKING YOUR HANDS OFF THE STEERING WHEEL AND YOUR ATTENTION AWAY FROM THE ROAD TO HOLD UP YOUR STUPID SIGN. Im glad to know your such a courteous driver and make your own rules as to when you will let someone merge and when you will not. Maybe you should put your rules on the back of your van so everyone else knows when they can and can't merge....geez.

And one more thing.... with as many questions as you ask here and admit you don't know much of the vehicle code when you are out driving it is pretty funny that you expect everyone else to know it and obey it. Maybe they are on an internet forum somewhere asking questions similar to yours such as " Do I have to use a turn signal if I'm only changing lanes and still going straight?"

Yes everybody should use signals and be courteous drivers, but don't put yourself into the problem.

Whew...now I feel better.....

Rant off.
                          Last edited by Fuzz; 09-03-2006, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the Chools
                            That's a pet peeve of mine. How many times have I come too close to someone's rear, because he slowed without signaling his upcoming turn?

Well if you were to hit that driver because they did not signal you would still be at fault in the accident. Law also requires you to maintain an assured safe distance, other wise you are following too closely. Regardless of what the driver does in front of you it is your requirement not to hit them (one exception- they are backing up).

As for you waving your finger and showing your sign, great way to fuel a road rage incident. My suggestion is to leave traffic enforcement to the police and do your best to follow the rules of the road, and avoid the drivers who dont, its not a civilians job to correct bad driving its ours.

Comment

with as many questions as you ask here and admit you don't know much of the vehicle code when you are out driving

NorthTex very kindly provided a link to the Texas codes, and I've marked it and am working my way through it.

Signaling lane changes are optional when said action does not effect any other vehicle.

Now, THAT's interesting. It makes sense, too, esp. on deserted residential streets and such. But it gets into a grey area... Just WHEN is another driver effected and when is he not? How far away does he have to be? Ahead or behind of the non-signaler?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3302 users online. 200 members and 3102 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X