Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it to take to court?

I won in court.
    Last edited by synergy; 05-28-2006, 01:51 PM.

Errors on the citation...especially minor clerical errors...do not void it.

Everything else...I notice that you never really deny the traffic violation. You talk alot about the other driver (a driver who's type of traffic citation you know nothing about...he may have been charged with something totally different), but not much about yourself. If you believe you're not guilty, plea not guilty and fight it. Otherwise, pay it.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Identical cars at a red light? It sounds like there could have been a little muscle flexing. Even if you weren’t racing, you were speeding.

As the other officer suggested, plead your case before the court. If your case has merit, the violation could be amended to speeding (a lesser offense) or dismissed.

Most officers will suggest that you pay the ticket and move on. I am of the same opinion.

Comment

10 over the posted limit or 100 mph over, what's the difference? I see this a thousand times in traffic court. People contesting they were not going the speed the officer wrote, but admits to still going over the posted limit.

If you were going 40 in a 30, you are guilty of speeding. The officer wrote you for speeding, deal with it. Besides, it's only a freaking speeding ticket. Life goes on.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31
          10 over the posted limit or 100 mph over, what's the difference? I see this a thousand times in traffic court. People contesting they were not going the speed the officer wrote, but admits to still going over the posted limit.

If you were going 40 in a 30, you are guilty of speeding. The officer wrote you for speeding, deal with it. Besides, it's only a freaking speeding ticket. Life goes on.
          Okay, again I have to clarify for those who are still accusing me of speeding. I clearly said that I was not going 50, and I would believe him if he said 40, because it sounds closer to what I was driving. I did NOT say that I was driving 40.

Comment

Do you know if he got you on radar or laser? If so what type? I am sure the officer had no ill intentions. If he got you for speeding, he got you. Believe me, there are plenty of traffic violations out there without us having to make them up.

As far as court... I was in court yesterday. Similar situation. Guy got cited for 47 in a 30. Told the judge he was not guilty, that he was going 35-40 MAX. Judge thanked him for wasting her time b/c he was still speeding. He received:

Adjudication
            Driving school
            $125 ticket
            $75 court costs

and an attitude adjustment.
            In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
              Do you know if he got you on radar or laser? If so what type? I am sure the officer had no ill intentions. If he got you for speeding, he got you. Believe me, there are plenty of traffic violations out there without us having to make them up.

As far as court... I was in court yesterday. Similar situation. Guy got cited for 47 in a 30. Told the judge he was not guilty, that he was going 35-40 MAX. Judge thanked him for wasting her time b/c he was still speeding. He received:

Adjudication
              Driving school
              $125 ticket
              $75 court costs

and an attitude adjustment.
              He said he eyeballed me.

Comment

The officer claimed he saw us drive by 7 (yes, I went back and counted) streets away from the point where he actually put his lights on. How could it possibly take him 7 streets to pull us over?
                I believe that there is, or at least was, a minimum amount of distance that an officer can clock you by car. I thought is was something like 10 blocks or around 1 mile before verifying your speed. This may or may not be the case these days..
                Last edited by MikeKV; 05-25-2006, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKV
                  I believe that there is, or at least was, a minimum amount of distance that an officer can clock you by car. I thought is was something like 10 blocks or around 1 mile before verifying your speed. This may or may not be the case these days..
                  Negative. There is no such law. There is no required distance or spacing for a pace. Moreover, officers are trained to visually estimate a vehicle's speed.
                  Last edited by Tennsix; 05-25-2006, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I can attest to that. That's how I got a 55 in a 45 back in '87. "Go ahead and make fun of me for driving slow." I tell people (while hoping THEY get hit someday for going over.
                    "Excuse me, can you help me? I'm a spy! "--Doctor Who

"I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein, and I want to know what it is you're doing with my time?!"--Captain Rhodes

Comment

Originally posted by synergy
                      Okay, again I have to clarify for those who are still accusing me of speeding. I clearly said that I was not going 50, and I would believe him if he said 40, because it sounds closer to what I was driving. I did NOT say that I was driving 40.
                      Oh. That will definitely win over the judge in court. You honestly don't know how fast you were going. Like I said, pay the ticket and move on.
                      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31
                        Oh. That will definitely win over the judge in court. You honestly don't know how fast you were going. Like I said, pay the ticket and move on.
                        Did I say I didn't know how fast I was going? All I said was that I wasn't going 50.

Comment

Originally posted by synergy
                          Did I say I didn't know how fast I was going? All I said was that I wasn't going 50.
                          How fast were you going? What was your speed before you saw the police car?

Comment

I was going 35. I didn't see his lights until I was at a stop sign. Which would be 0 miles an hour.

I don't really understand why some of you keep trying to "prove me wrong" and saying that I was speeding. I was NOT speeding. You weren't there, so don't accuse me of doing stuff. There's no point of trying to convince you guys what I did and did not do, because someone here will always say that I was speeding.

Comment

You will have to convince the court, not us. Perhaps we are a bit cynical but we see this sort of thing all the time. The majority of the people we cite insist they did nothing wrong. With any luck, the officer video taped the incident. If so, the tape will speak for it’s self.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8167 users online. 465 members and 7702 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X