X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haw1222
    replied
    Originally posted by Trooper4985
    Don't plead ignorance when I stop you for 75/55... you're guaranteed a ticket. I don't stop people for less than 15 over during daylight and 10 over during darkeness... both speeds you should be more than capable of knowing are over the posted limit without even looking at the speedo.

About the stockmarket... I'm into NDOL for 77000*.13. It's currently trading at .515. You could say the market has been good to me the past couple of weeks.
    No worries there, for the most part I stay within 5 miles of the speed limit.................I'm too chicken to do 10-15 miles over the posted limit......... but only because I'm afraid of being stopped.

Leave a comment:

• Trooper4985
    replied
    Originally posted by haw1222
    Not that I'm planning to get stopped again, but in the event that I do and I'm asked why I was stopped, it sounds like I better just say "No Sir" and hope that it was something minor!!! Was the stock market fun??

Don't plead ignorance when I stop you for 75/55... you're guaranteed a ticket. I don't stop people for less than 15 over during daylight and 10 over during darkeness... both speeds you should be more than capable of knowing are over the posted limit without even looking at the speedo.

About the stockmarket... I'm into NDOL for 77000*.13. It's currently trading at .515. You could say the market has been good to me the past couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• haw1222
    replied
    Originally posted by Trooper4985
    I prefer to ask them why I stopped them... I get so many admission that way it isn't funny. I stop a car for a headlight... they say I stopped them because they had too much to drink and were talking on a cellphone. No more damning evidence than your own admissions in court.

Entirely close minded and makes me wonder if you have an aversion to police work? A monkey can write a ticket... a good cop can talk the operator and occupants into giving up the crack they just bought.
    Not that I'm planning to get stopped again, but in the event that I do and I'm asked why I was stopped, it sounds like I better just say "No Sir" and hope that it was something minor!!! Was the stock market fun??

Leave a comment:

• Trooper4985
    replied
    Double Post

Got so excited about the stock market opening in 10 minutes I forgot what I was doing.... Sorry.
    Last edited by Trooper4985; 04-17-2006, 08:20 AM. Reason: Post Whore

Leave a comment:

• Trooper4985
    replied
    Originally posted by VA Dutch
    When you ask them "why they were doing xxx speed" and they give a reason, they basically are admitting to the violation. Of course, their remarks will be duly noted on the officer's copy of the summons.

I prefer to ask them why I stopped them... I get so many admission that way it isn't funny. I stop a car for a headlight... they say I stopped them because they had too much to drink and were talking on a cellphone. No more damning evidence than your own admissions in court.
    Originally posted by rayder1
    I never ask a violator anything except for his / her license and registration (insurance etc.) and if the information is correct on the license and registration.

I've learned that if you ask any questions, or engage in any conversation that falls outside the actual issuance of a citation or warning, you open up for a conversation that may lead own a wrong path.

I advise the reason for the stop....listen to any excuses...explain what Iam going to do....issue a ticket of warning...explain the ticket...and leave.
    Entirely close minded and makes me wonder if you have an aversion to police work? A monkey can write a ticket... a good cop can talk the operator and occupants into giving up the crack they just bought.
    Last edited by Trooper4985; 04-17-2006, 08:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• t150vsuptpr
    replied
    Originally posted by Hogswine
    I think this is the first time I ever agreed with you
    Uh oh, something's gonna happen, I felt a tremore .....

Leave a comment:

• rayder1
    replied
    I never ask a violator anything except for his / her license and registration (insurance etc.) and if the information is correct on the license and registration.

I've learned that if you ask any questions, or engage in any conversation that falls outside the actual issuance of a citation or warning, you open up for a conversation that may lead own a wrong path.

I advise the reason for the stop....listen to any excuses...explain what Iam going to do....issue a ticket of warning...explain the ticket...and leave.

Leave a comment:

• haw1222
    replied
    Originally posted by Fuzz
    WI Cop....what is the difference between these two....

#1 Hi, I'm WICop with the WI PD. The reason I stopped is you were you going 55 mph in a 30 mph zone. Is there any reason you are going so fast?

#2 Hi, I'm WICop with the WI PD. The reason I stopped is you were you going 55 mph in a 30 mph zone. Are you in a hurry to get somewhere?

I do not see how changing that one sentence would make #2 unprofessional as some claim. I think we can all agree we need to be professional when contacting the public and we are getting too caught up in analyzing certain phrases. Even the original poster says the officer wasn't rude to him...he was just curious about how to answer it. Once again...it's not WHAT you say so much as HOW you say it. I don't have a specific script I follow during a traffic stop.....I treat people how I would want to be treated and talk with them.
    Hi Fuzz..............I think that we were both posting at the same time so you may have missed my last one. I didn't consider the officer to be rude....... I was just stumped as to how to answer the question. I could have said "yes..........I'm in a hurry to get home and it's a 2 hr drive", but knowing that this was not a legitimate excuse I chose to say "no" instead.

Leave a comment:

• Fuzz
    replied
    WI Cop....what is the difference between these two....

#1 Hi, I'm WICop with the WI PD. The reason I stopped is you were you going 55 mph in a 30 mph zone. Is there any reason you are going so fast?

#2 Hi, I'm WICop with the WI PD. The reason I stopped is you were you going 55 mph in a 30 mph zone. Are you in a hurry to get somewhere?

I do not see how changing that one sentence would make #2 unprofessional as some claim. I think we can all agree we need to be professional when contacting the public and we are getting too caught up in analyzing certain phrases. Even the original poster says the officer wasn't rude to him...he was just curious about how to answer it. Once again...it's not WHAT you say so much as HOW you say it. I don't have a specific script I follow during a traffic stop.....I treat people how I would want to be treated and talk with them.
    Last edited by Fuzz; 04-15-2006, 11:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• haw1222
    replied
    Originally posted by WICop
    I agree with Hogboy 100%. "Are you in a hurry?" is a very unprofessional question. 90% of my traffic stops are similar to this:

Hi, I'm WICop with the WI PD. The reason I stopped is you were you going 55 mph in a 30 mph zone. Is there any reason you are going so fast?
    <Wait for respnose.>
    Do you have a drivers license?
    <Obtain DL>
    Is your drivers license valid? Are you suspended or revoked?
    Do you still live at xx street?
    I will be issuing you a citation for the speeding violation. Stay in your vehicle and I will be back in a few minutes.

This may be your 10th traffic stop of the week (or month if you are ROD). This is may be the citizen's first stop ever. Unprofessional tone and speach represents poorly on you and your department.

WICop

This was my first and only time that I have been stopped and I was extremely nervous but I really can't say that the officer was overly rude to me............I just wasn't sure how to answer his question. In all honesty he was probably annoyed with me because I didn't answer him the first time that he asked. I was getting my license and insurance card for him and just acted like I didn't hear him and mainly because I didn't know what to say. When he asked a second time, I figured that I better say something and told him "no sir". Apparently this must have been a very traumatic experience for me since I remember the details of something that happened 18 years ago so well!!!

Leave a comment:

• VA Dutch
    replied

When you ask them "why they were doing xxx speed" and they give a reason, they basically are admitting to the violation. Of course, their remarks will be duly noted on the officer's copy of the summons.

NOTE TO FORUM ADMIN:
    Yes, I know I am only a 'former' LEO and am not currently an active sworn officer......but I felt as though this response was in order. Me so sorry if I ruffled any feathers. I shall now remain on the sidelines for awhile regarding this topic. (Note my disclaimer below.)

Leave a comment:

• WICop
    replied
    Originally posted by Hogboy
    Any cop who gives that "Are you in a hurry" line has a chip on his shoulder and I would prefer not to work with him.

I am sure his excuse for such sarcasm is that he wants to elimate any excuses the driver may cme up with or court, but I don;t buy it

Only full time traffic bureau guys, state troopers and small town clowns talk to people like that. Most of them won;t talk that way unless the violator is a soccer mom or a Caspar Milquetost kind of guy. They won;t get snotty of the guy looks like a thug or a biker or something

PROFESSIONAL officers wriet the ticket and leave out the sarcasm no matter who the violator
    I agree with Hogboy 100%. "Are you in a hurry?" is a very unprofessional question. 90% of my traffic stops are similar to this:

Hi, I'm WICop with the WI PD. The reason I stopped is you were you going 55 mph in a 30 mph zone. Is there any reason you are going so fast?
    <Wait for respnose.>
    Do you have a drivers license?
    <Obtain DL>
    Is your drivers license valid? Are you suspended or revoked?
    Do you still live at xx street?
    I will be issuing you a citation for the speeding violation. Stay in your vehicle and I will be back in a few minutes.

This may be your 10th traffic stop of the week (or month if you are ROD). This is may be the citizen's first stop ever. Unprofessional tone and speach represents poorly on you and your department.

WICop

Leave a comment:

• Hogswine
    replied
    Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
    When I came out of the academy, we were taught to simply ask for the operators license and registration, state the reason for the stop, and advise the driver why it is a safety hazard if it is, and lastly, whether we were going to warn, summons, or arrest.

Then, things changed at the academy and the new guys were told in the '90s to introduce themselves after a "Good Morning Sir", and then ask if they had a registration and where it was and if they might have it and then to ask if they had a license and if so, may they see it, and then they were told to state the violation and to ask if there was any reason justifying the violation. It was attempted to get some of us older ones to do likelwise with a class in inservice school.

I'll stick with the old way, just "politely short and sweet". I don't care if they are in hurry, and my experience tells me that if they feel justified in the actions that got them stopped, they'll let me know and I can address it then.

I think this is the first time I ever agreed with you

Leave a comment:

• t150vsuptpr
    replied
    When I came out of the academy, we were taught to simply ask for the operators license and registration, state the reason for the stop, and advise the driver why it is a safety hazard if it is, and lastly, whether we were going to warn, summons, or arrest.

Then, things changed at the academy and the new guys were told in the '90s to introduce themselves after a "Good Morning Sir", and then ask if they had a registration and where it was and if they might have it and then to ask if they had a license and if so, may they see it, and then they were told to state the violation and to ask if there was any reason justifying the violation. It was attempted to get some of us older ones to do likelwise with a class in inservice school.

I'll stick with the old way, just "politely short and sweet". I don't care if they are in hurry, and my experience tells me that if they feel justified in the actions that got them stopped, they'll let me know and I can address it then.

Leave a comment:

• haw1222
    replied
    Originally posted by Fuzz
    I will usually ask something similiar to that on my stops..... and despite "hogboy"'s great comments again ...I do NOT need to have an attitude or be sarcastic when I ask it. I want to know what was going on and why the person was in a hurry for a couple of reasons. If there is a legitimate reason (injured family member, wife going into labor, driving someone to the hospital, etc) then off they go with a "please slow down" ( if it really is legit). I would like to know that info instead of showing up in court and looking like a complete schmuck. Yes it would still be a valid ticket, but there are many other tickets to write without jamming someone like that up.

If there is no legitimate reason....then it is good info for court if they try to fight the ticket.

As my momma always used to say.....It's not WHAT you say...it's HOW you say it.
    Well I didn't answer with attitude and I can't remember the exact citation that I was given. I do remember that it cost me $68 but didn't affect my insurance and no points were involved. I may be wrong, but I would assume that 99% of the people that are caught speeding do not have a legit reason, so if you ask "are you in a hurry to get somewhere" and they reply "no" (without attitude) would you give them a break?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3341 users online. 173 members and 3168 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X