300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to answer "Are you in a hurry"?

Fortunately I have only been stopped once during my 20+ years of driving and that was back in 1988. This is something that I have always wondered about, I was asked: "Are you in a hurry to get somewhere?" Just out of curiosity, how would you expect someone to answer this? If they say "no" is that considered a lie since they were just caught speeding? In my case, I said "no" because I didn't have a good reason for exceeding the speed limit. Last but not least, what are your expectations when you stop someone or in other words what do you consider to be a good attitude? Thanks!

Honesty is always good. DON'T act like I'm inconveincing,or annying you & don't ever, ever, ever say "What the f--- is your problem?" I had a guy do that to me once---spent 30 days in jail . A simple "Yeah, I guess/think I was (fill in the blank), sorry." will get you further with me than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop
      Honesty is always good. DON'T act like I'm inconveincing,or annying you & don't ever, ever, ever say "What the f--- is your problem?" I had a guy do that to me once---spent 30 days in jail . A simple "Yeah, I guess/think I was (fill in the blank), sorry." will get you further with me than anything else.
      Thanks for your reply and I would never ever show that type of disrespect towards law enforcement so no worries there! I'm glad to hear that you put someone in jail for that type of disrespect.............a friend of mine is a State Trooper in VA and told me that a guy told him to have a nice fu_kin day after he gave him a ticket for speeding. I told him that he should have arrested him but as far as I know he didn't even give the guy a citation. I'm in no way questioning his actions because he has been a Trooper for 17 years so I'm sure he has dealt with many people that are disrespectful and can just let it roll off his back. As for me, I would have liked to wack the guy over the head which is probably why I'm not in law enforcement!

Comment

Originally posted by haw1222
        Last but not least, what are your expectations when you stop someone or in other words what do you consider to be a good attitude? Thanks!
        A good attitude is honesty and semi-politeness on a violator's part. I don't expect to be called "sir" but I also don't like to be called "hogboy".
        "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Originally posted by CincyCop
          A good attitude is honesty and semi-politeness on a violator's part. I don't expect to be called "sir" but I also don't like to be called "hogboy".
          Thanks for your reply and no worries there...............I'm not familiar with the "hogboy" reference................is that a disrespectful term for motorcycle cops???

Comment

Thanks for your reply and no worries there...............I'm not familiar with the "hogboy" reference................is that a disrespectful term for motorcycle cops???
            No, not about motorcycle cops...it was a jab (in fun) at an officer.com frequent flyer whose username is "Hogboy".

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45858
            "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

No, not about motorcycle cops...it was a jab (in fun) at an officer.com frequent flyer whose username is "Hogboy".

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45858
              Gotcha...................I guess that I should have picked up on that since I have read several threads that he has participated in!

Comment

"No sir. I was driving along and 'I can't drive 55" came on the radio and it was like some mystical force pushed my foot down on the accelerator pedal."

It was good weather on an near empty road, I was listening to the same station, and I had to fight the urge to mash the gas myself. He got a verbal warning, a reminder to pay more attention, and was on his way.

Comment

I agree with that 100%
                  John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

Originally posted by jdh
                    "No sir. I was driving along and 'I can't drive 55" came on the radio and it was like some mystical force pushed my foot down on the accelerator pedal."

It was good weather on an near empty road, I was listening to the same station, and I had to fight the urge to mash the gas myself. He got a verbal warning, a reminder to pay more attention, and was on his way.

For real??? I love that song but never thought of using it as an excuse before!!! Just kidding.............I've honestly only been stopped the one time..............you do know that Hagar released another version of that song right.......... "I can't drive 65".........would you accept that as an excuse???

Comment

During a recent stop on the way back from work, the officer started off with "Why the hell are you going so fast??? It took me forever to catch up with you!!!" I wouldn't have known how to answer, but that was promptly followed by a smirk on his face when he looked in and there were four of us disheveled, tired, dirty fellow LEO's on our way home from a 13 hour night shift at almost 12 noon. "Slow down and get some sleep guys"
                      "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Originally posted by yellowreef
                        During a recent stop on the way back from work, the officer started off with "Why the hell are you going so fast??? It took me forever to catch up with you!!!" I wouldn't have known how to answer, but that was promptly followed by a smirk on his face when he looked in and there were four of us disheveled, tired, dirty fellow LEO's on our way home from a 13 hour night shift at almost 12 noon. "Slow down and get some sleep guys"

I like that and heard a funny one from a friend of mine who is a State Trooper up in VA. He was doing some paperwork and had a car fly by him and didn't get a good look at it because it was dark so he took off in pursuit of this car and could see from a distance that it had turned down a dirt road.
                        When he turned down the dirt road to pursue the "suspect" it turns out that it was his Sergeant who had already turned around and was facing him. I guess that would be a sure fire way to keep someone on their toes!

Comment

For real??? I love that song but never thought of using it as an excuse before!!! Just kidding.............I've honestly only been stopped the one time..............you do know that Hagar released another version of that song right.......... "I can't drive 65".........would you accept that as an excuse???
                          On graveyards anything was possible. But remember at 2am (bar closing time) it was catch and release the little ones so you could find and land the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jdh
                            On graveyards anything was possible. But remember at 2am (bar closing time) it was catch and release the little ones so you could find and land the big ones.
                            Yes..............I'm all too familiar with that. My friend that I mentioned in the post above also works graveyard and is always hoping to bust someone for drunk driving or drugs or both if he is having a really good night!

Comment

Fortunately I have only been stopped once during my 20+ years of driving and that was back in 1988. This is something that I have always wondered about, I was asked: "Are you in a hurry to get somewhere?" Just out of curiosity, how would you expect someone to answer this? If they say "no" is that considered a lie since they were just caught speeding? In my case, I said "no" because I didn't have a good reason for exceeding the speed limit. Last but not least, what are your expectations when you stop someone or in other words what do you consider to be a good attitude? Thanks!
                              Any cop who gives that "Are you in a hurry" line has a chip on his shoulder and I would prefer not to work with him.

I am sure his excuse for such sarcasm is that he wants to elimate any excuses the driver may cme up with or court, but I don;t buy it

Only full time traffic bureau guys, state troopers and small town clowns talk to people like that. Most of them won;t talk that way unless the violator is a soccer mom or a Caspar Milquetost kind of guy. They won;t get snotty of the guy looks like a thug or a biker or something

PROFESSIONAL officers wriet the ticket and leave out the sarcasm no matter who the violator

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10866 users online. 393 members and 10473 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X