300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving with Expired Registration

I was just given a citiation today for driving with an expired registration. My registration expired on March 31st and had no idea it was. The officer explained to me that this was not a moving violation and that points would not be assessed.

My question is, if it's not a moving violation then why how could I get it in the first place? What I mean was, if I was moving (I was driving)then how could it be a non-moving violation. I am not trying to be a wise guy, only trying to understand. I was under the impression that I needed to be stopped for something else to write a ticket for registration...ie like getting stopped for speeding and then writing a seat belt ticket. I also thought that this was a voidable ticket if i corrected it (which I already did).

Any insight would be appreciated.

A moving violation is when you violate "rules of the road" type laws such as speeding, turns, passing, traffic signs, signals and controls, granting right of way, etc. These laws typically are assigned points which can be assessed against your drivers license which could eventually lead to a license suspension.

Driving with expired registration or unregistered vehicle are "paperwork" type laws and typically do not carry points which would be assessed against your drivers license.

Comment

On the flip side, your car could be impounded and held until you get plates. You would be responsible for the towing and storage fees, in addtion to the ticket.

Comment

I love those tickets because you can't fight them. They're either expired or not. In Georgia it's over a $250 to pay one of those off.

Even though you must be driving on the roadway to be issued the citation, it is not a moving violation. Basically we need to see your car on a public roadway because we cannot issue citations on private property or parking lots (with except of DUI and Reckless Driving).

Comment

Originally posted by marc1733
          I was just given a citiation today for driving with an expired registration. My registration expired on March 31st and had no idea it was. The officer explained to me that this was not a moving violation and that points would not be assessed..

While every state is different, usually states have "moving violations" for which points are assessed against a violator's privilege to drive, and "non-moving" violations for which points are not assessed. Non-movers may be written for violations committed while moving (license plate light not working, no valid registration, no proof of insurance, etc) but do not affect your privilege to drive on the roads. Movers, such as speeding, reckless driving, stop sign violation, etc accrue points against your driving privileges. If it helps clear it up any, I can write you for haveing a headlight out when I do a safety check at a stop sign intersection, but cannot write you for speeding unless I catch you moving faster than the allowed speed.

Comment

It all depends on where you are.

Here, I can conduct a random check of a vehicle registration as long as I see the vehicle operating on a public roadway. If it comes back expired, it's a primary offense -- in other words, probable cause to make a stop.

In most cases I write a written warning giving people a certain amount of time to rectify the situation. If they do so in the prescribed time period, I throw away the warning. If they don't, I issue a citation by mail.
            Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

I do not understand how people don't know their registartion tags are expired... In Ohio it expires on your birthday month. How can you not know???

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104
                I do not understand how people don't know their registartion tags are expired... In Ohio it expires on your birthday month. How can you not know???
                I do not examine my registration daily...maybe you do. Ohio has an easy way then. I got my inspection and emissions done last month in which I remembered because I'm always looking at the stickers on my windsheild. I never look at my registration or license plate. I know I'll never forget again.

Thanks for your imput guys, I appreciate it!

Comment

In reference to your comment on being pulled over for another violation before you can be cited for the expired tags....that probably varies from state to state. A common misconception of the "general public" is that Law Enforcement needs "probable cause" to stop you. This is inaccurate, US case law states all you need to conduct a traffic stop on a violator is "reasonable suspicion". So if an officer observed your license plate expired...that gave him "reasonable suspicion" to pull you over and find out why you didn't renew your tags.
                  "if i've got to turn around....catch all the way up with you and cut on the lights.....somebody's gotta pay the light bill"...

Comment

I _LOVE_ writing expired tag tickets. I actively seek them out.

I have ZERO sympathy for folks who drive around with expired tags. All my stuff is up to date, and always has been. Those stickers are there for you to look at em. And you get a notice in the mail that they are going to expire.

Comment

Driving with expired registration.

It's been pretty well explained to you, but here it is once more. While the laws on registration vary from state to state, and some states will allow a grace period, the basic requirement is that your vehicle be properly and currently registered. If a Peace Officer observes you with an expired tag, he needs NO other reason to stop you. Registration violations are NOT moving violations, and therefore in most states no points are assessed on your driving record. An example of a moving violation would be unlawful speed, runing a stop sign, DUI, etc. Points are assessed for these and other moving(rules of the road) violations. If you haven't already done so, I would urge you to take of the citation you recieved, as there are sanctions(arrest warrants, suspension of driver's license) if you fail to do so. Hope this clears up any questions you may have had.

Comment

From my experience, a vehicle with expired tags most likely also has expired insurance. (You need active insurance to register a vehicle in Alberta). No insurance carries a $2875 fine on the first offence. I am more than happy to hand out no insurance/registration tickets becuase of the headaches that are caused when someone who doesn't have his stuff up to date is involved in an accident with someone else.
                        But by the grace of God, I am what I am.
                        1 Corinthians 15:10

Comment

Originally posted by marc1733
                          I do not examine my registration daily...maybe you do. Ohio has an easy way then. I got my inspection and emissions done last month in which I remembered because I'm always looking at the stickers on my windsheild. I never look at my registration or license plate. I know I'll never forget again.

Thanks for your imput guys, I appreciate it!
                          That is one of the very few decent things about Ohio. Our tags expire on the vehicle owner's birthday and also we can get them renewed 90 days (EXACTLY, not 91 as I found out years ago)early. This year I am going to renew in June probably, since both cars are in my name.

I've had relatives say "My tags don't expire till the end of the month." I said "Mine do, since my bd is the 31st, but they are set up according to the owner's bd, and even one day after that they can get hit for expired tags. I know. "
                          "Excuse me, can you help me? I'm a spy! "--Doctor Who

"I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein, and I want to know what it is you're doing with my time?!"--Captain Rhodes

Comment

I run tags that are displaying the current month/year, most times they come back revoked. In NC if your insurance lapses your plate will be revoked. When/if your are stopped the plate is removed and you are charged.
                            Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win

Comment

Originally posted by 10 FORTY 3
                              So if an officer observed your license plate expired...that gave him "reasonable suspicion" to pull you over and find out why you didn't renew your tags.
                              Hmmmm.....I believe that would be PC that some one violated the code, not resonable suspicion, if you observed a vehicle with an expired tag.
                              You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.

sigpic

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6354 users online. 262 members and 6092 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X