300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Commercial Vehicles

Hey all. I will be starting to drive over the road (long haul) trucks within a few weeks, mainly the western 11 states. I'm curious what the best way to .. well you know not exactly sure what in specific to ask, just wondering what I can do to stay out of the different state police's hair should I be pulled over/weight stations etc. Don't exactly want a citation and just want any interaction to go over very smoothly and not make any officer's feel threatened in any way...

Speak proper English, bathe frequently, learn how to use a turn signal and treat others (both LEO and civilian) as you would like to be treated.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989
      Hey all. I will be starting to drive over the road (long haul) trucks within a few weeks, mainly the western 11 states. I'm curious what the best way to .. well you know not exactly sure what in specific to ask, just wondering what I can do to stay out of the different state police's hair should I be pulled over/weight stations etc. Don't exactly want a citation and just want any interaction to go over very smoothly and not make any officer's feel threatened in any way...
      Do your best to try and avoid this and we will get along just fine...

Comment

Well I am on my way out the door to do a truck detail. Stop trucks; check the drivers license status, log book, medical card, and pre-trip. Check the cargo and paperwork. If I see any issues with the truck. I will do level check. Lights, tires, exhaust and fuel system. The idea is to make sure the driver and truck are safe for the road. I very rarely have a problem with the drivers. They understand that under Federal Motor carrier rules they are open for an inspection at any time. I’m not out there to put the driver or truck out of service unless there is a problem. Most of the time it’s the log book that gets a driver in hot water. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch

Speak proper English, bathe frequently, learn how to use a turn signal and treat others (both LEO and civilian) as you would like to be treated.

Yea i'm not a dirty redneck, but thanks

Comment

Keep your log book up to date as for your last change of status, make sure your truck is safe by doing your pre/post trip inspections, don't tailgate or other stupid things, don't run overweight, don't run illegal (as for your hours of service) keep it at a resoanalbe speed and be polite to any officer that pulls you for an inspection. (Remember we can stop you without reason to inspect you!) Doing all of these things should, keep you out of trouble and keep you rolling down the road.
            You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.

sigpic

Comment

O B E Y T H E L A W

Comment

Driving Commercial Vehicles

You've gotten some pretty good advice, which is really hard to add to. As noted, you can be pulled over and inspected pretty much at the discretion of the Trooper/Officer involved. Keep your log book up to date. Watch your speed, and make certain all your safety equipment is working properly. Don't run overweight. A little word of caution. The Alabama Legislature just passed a law providing for the suspension of a CDL for one(1) moving violation in a calendar year. It's my understanding that Federal Highway funds were involved, so look for other states to follow suit. Most of us realize that most of you are simply out to make a living, and that it's not easy to make one driving a truck. Still, attitude is everything. A decent attitude may not get you out of a citation, but a crappy attitude will almost certainly mean you'll get one. Take care.

Comment

First, buy my book, "Truckers and Troopers." It's just brimming with everything you want to know about this. That's why I wrote it.

The short version, is what we teach our children: Eat your vegetables, tell the truth, follow the rules, clean your room (sleeper), say your prayers, be nice to grown ups (cops) and always obey the "Thumper Rule" - "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin at all."
                  Oh - one more thing. Avoid butt crack cheese and SHOWER EVERY DAY!!!

http://jimgeeting.com
                  The All New
                  BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3787 users online. 191 members and 3596 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X