NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Do you have to signal if you are in a turn only lane?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghurty
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2005

Do you have to signal if you are in a turn only lane?

Hi, Perhaps someone can clarify me the law regardging signaling. Do you have to signal that you are going to turn if you are in a turn only lane. I am particulerly interested in NY & NJ, also CA.

Thank You
  • Tennsix
    No Longer Active
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ghurty
    Hi, Perhaps someone can clarify me the law regardging signaling. Do you have to signal that you are going to turn if you are in a turn only lane. I am particulerly interested in NY & NJ, also CA.

Thank You
    In my state, yes you have to signal all turns, stops, and lane changes.

Comment

• RabbitMPD
      Victory is mine!!!!
      • Oct 2004

Thank You
      Not trying to be an *** by asking this question, but why does it matter? Even if it isn't a law it's probably best to use it anyway.

And in my state you must use your signal.
      It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

• explorerscout83
        • Sep 2004

Thank You
        Yes you have to signal, and if you do not then you can get stopped and get a ticket for it. Then when you go and cry to the judge about getting the ticket, the judge will say, "You are guilty, pay the fine on the way out."

I take it you are asking because you got a ticket, so the best thing you can do is, "Send payment of your fine to the address on the back of the ticket, and signal next time."
        New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the *******. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande? half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge *******.

Comment

• grumpyirishman
          Aged like a fine wine
          • Mar 2005

Thank You

YES , yes yes yes yes
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

• ghurty
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by explorerscout83
            I take it you are asking because you got a ticket, so the best thing you can do is, "Send payment of your fine to the address on the back of the ticket, and signal next time."
            Actually, I did not get a ticket, it is just that sometimes I get to thinking and I wonder what the law would be. I agree that you should signal even if it is not the law, because somone in the lane next to you might not relize that it is the lane is turning only.

Comment

• VA Dutch
              Former Deputy Sheriff
              • Feb 2006

VA legislation requires the usage of a directional signal when making a turn or partial turn (which could include a lane change) - whether it is a "turn lane only" or not has no bearing.

This law is largely unenforced and most of our cops 'forget' to signal their intentions, so you are not likely to be ticketed for this infraction here. However, be advised that it could serve as PC for stopping you.....and that can lead to other things.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19499 users online. 47 members and 19452 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...