300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state to state law

Quick question. Lets say I live out of state from where I'm going to college. My car is registered/inspected in my home state(NC) and I go to school in RI. RI cops pulls me over for various things(speeding being the main) and gives me a ticket for illegal window tint when its legal in my state. whats the deal with that? THIS IS NOT FOR ME, This happens to a friend of a friend and I'm not looking for advise about how to beat the ticket this was just a curiousity thing for me.

It is a good ticket. Chances are the degree of tinting is illegal in his home state as well. States that allow tinting specify how dark the windows may be. Most officer do not fool with it unless the windows are extremely dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
      It is a good ticket. Chances are the degree of tinting is illegal in his home state as well. States that allow tinting specify how dark the windows may be. Most officer do not fool with it unless the windows are extremely dark.
      Thats what I figured, im sure its well past the legal limit.

Comment

Originally posted by sjr87
        Quick question. Lets say I live out of state from where I'm going to college. My car is registered/inspected in my home state(NC) and I go to school in RI. RI cops pulls me over for various things(speeding being the main) and gives me a ticket for illegal window tint when its legal in my state. whats the deal with that? THIS IS NOT FOR ME, This happens to a friend of a friend and I'm not looking for advise about how to beat the ticket this was just a curiousity thing for me.
        Same thing in Va. It starts out thusly:
        [QUOTE] [URL=http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1052][B]Va. code
        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

When you drive into another state you have to comply with all of that state's laws including mechanical regulations such as window tinting. You don't get a freebie because your state allows tint.
          If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

I may cut you a break if you are traveling through my state or vacationing, but if you have residency (such as school), then vehicle regs will be enforced.
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31
              I may cut you a break if you are traveling through my state or vacationing, but if you have residency (such as school), then vehicle regs will be enforced.
              I'll second that.

Comment

On a related note, what about inspection stickers? I noticed a truck from Pennsylvania sporting a "12-05" sticker, but I am in VA. Could an officer from Virginia cite the driver for having an invalid sticker on a car not registered in this state?

I know that VA requires valid inspections on cars registered here - and any law enforcement officer can write a summons for a missing or expired one, but how does a VA cop enforce PA law? When I was a deputy, I never stopped anyone from another state who had a bad sticker. {Then again, many states don't even have inspection and some don't put the little renewal stickers on their license plates, either.}

Can someone here shed some light on this?
                Last edited by VA Dutch; 02-24-2006, 10:13 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch

On a related note, what about inspection stickers? I noticed a truck from Pennsylvania sporting a "12-05" sticker, but I am in VA. Could an officer from Virginia cite the driver for having an invalid sticker on a car not registered in this state?

I know that VA requires valid inspections on cars registered here - and any law enforcement officer can write a summons for a missing or expired one, but how does a VA cop enforce PA law? When I was a deputy, I never stopped anyone from another state who had a bad sticker. {Then again, many states don't even have inspection and some don't put the little renewal stickers on their license plates, either.}

I think it's pretty simple for vehicles you pull over. If the driver has residency in your state, then nail him for any (and all) registration violations if he/she has not yet registered the vehicle in your state by law. If the vehicle is parked (unoccupied), then it's up to you whether to pursue it.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch

No,

Virginia's state inspection law does not apply to Pennsylvania registered vehicles and inspection stickers.

[URL=http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1157][B]
                    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Virginia's state inspection law does not apply to Pennsylvania registered vehicles and inspection stickers.
                      I don't know anything about VA or PA law enforcement, but wouldn't be a violation if the driver of the PA vehicle lived in Virginia and has yet to register it?

Comment

The guy who moves here from PA (or any other state) has thirty days in which to register a motor vehicle in Virginia. Ironically, they give you sixty days in which to obtain a valid VA driver's license.

WTF??

Also, residents of VA must register vehicles with their city or county as well.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4894 users online. 303 members and 4591 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X