Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a unmarked car able to issue tickets?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a unmarked car able to issue tickets?

Hi, A friend of mine was of mine was pulled over for going 10 over the speed limit in upstate NY.
    He probably was speeding, but I have two questions.
    1) He was pulled over by a completely unmarked car, it even had regular license plates, I know that in some states such a vehichle can not pull you over and issue a ticket, does anyone know what the story is in NY.
    2) The officer wrote down the wrong license plate number on the ticket, is that grounds to have the ticket thrown out?

Originally posted by ghurty
    Hi, A friend of mine was of mine was pulled over for going 10 over the speed limit in upstate NY.
    He probably was speeding, but I have two questions.
    1) He was pulled over by a completely unmarked car, it even had regular license plates, I know that in some states such a vehichle can not pull you over and issue a ticket, does anyone know what the story is in NY.
    2) The officer wrote down the wrong license plate number on the ticket, is that grounds to have the ticket thrown out?
    First of all, your
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Unmarked cars are there to catch people just like you friend. The one sure way to see which people are honest and which ones are not it so see how they behave when they don't think anyone is looking. I write the best tickets when in an unmarked.

Comment

Unmarked car

That's why they used. Don't break the law and you have nothing to worry about.
        Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Originally posted by ghurty
          Is a unmarked car able to issue tickets?
          No, I've never seen *a* unmarked car issue a ticket. But *a* officer driving *a* unmarked car is able to issue tickets. This was proven when your friend got his ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitMPD
            Good luck. Whoops! I mean tell your "friend" good luck.
            LOL! TOO FUNNY!
            "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

Originally posted by chaser266
              No, I've never seen *a* unmarked car issue a ticket. But *a* officer driving *a* unmarked car is able to issue tickets. This was proven when your friend got his ticket.
              You mean KITT from Knight Rider isn't real?

Comment

First of all....unmarked cars are the greatest thing that ever happened to traffic enforcement because of the fact that you can't see them. I personally believe that there should be more of them.

Second of all...no...it doesn't matter if the officer wrote the wrong tag number down because people do make mistakes.

And lastly...your friend needs to admit his mistake because he is guilty, is he not? I know its cold to say it like that but there are too many people that are not taking responsibility for their actions.

Have a nice day.
                Officer: Sir, do you know how fast you were going?
                Driver: No sir I don't, but I do have these get out of jail free cards, the Chance and Community Chest.
                Officer: You're not going to jail, you're just getting a speeding ticket

Comment

Bravo Zulu to the responses here. If it were unlawful for an officer in an unmarked car to give you a ticket, I doubt that "your friend" would have been stopped by one.

Now, NY used to have a policy that state troopers were to only use marked cars for traffic stops, but that was many years ago. I think that some jurisdictions are reluctant to use unmarked cars because there are so many "fake cops" out there who were scaring the bejeezus out of many female drivers - thus making them reluctant to pull over.

Some places have policies that prohibit pursuits in unmarked cars, but I have never heard of them being "illegal" or anything like that. Heck, VA has tons and tons of unmarked cars -- and, as mentioned above, they're primarily used for traffic enforcement or officers above the rank of sergeant.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

My friend was pulled over by a State Police helicopter. Is that legal. The Pilot said I was doing 100, but I know my Ferrari/Porche does not go that fast. LOL LOL
                    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
                    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

They can pull you over in an unmarked vehicle, but they must be wearing their hat in order to write you a ticket.
                      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31
                        They can pull you over in an unmarked vehicle, but they must be wearing their hat in order to write you a ticket.
                        LOL
                        It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

We would be screwed if that was true about unmarked squads, because my Department had more unmarked than marked.
                          (Please don't ask me why, because I don't even know!)
                          Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                          Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                          For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                          'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

Originally posted by Huey County
                            We would be screwed if that was true about unmarked squads, because my Department had more unmarked than marked.
                            (Please don't ask me why, because I don't even know!)
                            But why don't you know?

That is kind of messed up. My department has 30 cars and only 2 of them are unmarked. But they do get pleanty of use. Of course the brass gets unmarked takehome cars with full LED lighting but they are never used for patrol (or anything else job related )

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitMPD
                              But why don't you know?

That is kind of messed up. My department has 30 cars and only 2 of them are unmarked. But they do get pleanty of use. Of course the brass gets unmarked takehome cars with full LED lighting but they are never used for patrol (or anything else job related )
                              Well I guess it's because we have more take-home squads than regular patrol squads. We do have a couple of unmarks that we can use durning the shift if we want to, but they usally just sit there.
                              <- From a small Dept.

Oh, and all of our cars have LEDS.
                              Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                              Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                              For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                              'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2655 users online. 190 members and 2465 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X