Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's considered a legal reason for pulling someone over?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's considered a legal reason for pulling someone over?

Are you not required to have a legal reason for pulling someone over?

I got pulled over again driving home from work on a gravel back road to get home the other night at around 11:55 pm. It's the shortest and most direct route from work to home that I know of.

Before I left work at 11:30 a lot of police were on there supper break there one of them being my cousin-in-law.

I left work, went to fill my car with gas and then headed for home. I had to drive past work again and noticed all the police were gone. I get onto the gravel road and there were flashing lights and spotlights shining all over the place. There were three police cars and a truck. They had some girl pulled over in a Honda. I slowed down to 60 km when I passed them (as is the law here) and went on my merry way. I noticed another police car coming out of an approach heading in my direction. It wasn't long before he turned on his lights and pulled me over. I was completely blinded by his flashing lights and headlights reflecting off all my mirrors into my eyes (it went from pitch black to nearly daylight in a matter of seconds) and to make matters worse, he came up to my car with his super bright LED flashlight and shined that it my eyes as well. I adjusted all my mirrors to reflect away from me and I noticed that it was the same cop who I had just made his sandwich less than an hour prior. All he told me was "I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was you. You just got off work and trying to get home, aren't you? Have a nice evening."

I'm no stranger to these types of stops, although I've never been pulled over by this guy before. The thing is, they even had the Cpl. there with them. I thought for sure they were busy enough and would leave me alone. Does driving down a gravel back road late at night warrant an automatic traffic stop? All the other stops like these have had actual reasons for pulling me over (very anal reasons such as 2 km over).

OK, I wasn't supposed to tell you this, so "mumms the word" ...

... OK?

It's your "Cousin-in-law". He and his buddies kind of enjoy reading about theyselves through your words, and ... they know how much you enjoy it too, so they set it all up.

They have something else planned next week out on the .... ummm, never mind (I've said enough already).

Trust me though, you'll enjoy it as well.
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Maybe I'm out of line here, but here is what I'm thinking. Do you wear a short skirt at work? Like one that really hikes up when you are sitting in your car? With nice legs that go all the way up to your........... well you know what I'm saying. If so, that could be the reason you are getting stopped all the time. (it gets boring out here sometimes, what can I say )

Comment

From reading this and other posts you have made, it sounds like you have a bad case of paranoia. Bottom line, if he pulled you over, he had good reason to. Just because he didn't tell you does not mean he didn't have a reason.

As far as the blinding lights, it's called a traffic stop, get used to it.

Pulling you over for "anal" stuff?

He cut you a break on whatever violation he saw because you had served him (food) shortly before the stop. Instead of being thankful, you come to a cop forum basically stating that you felt he pulled you over for no legal reason. I'm done feeding the trolls.

Last edited by SgtScott31; 02-20-2006, 05:00 AM.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Since your in Canada, they don't need a reason to pull you over, the just can.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz
            Since your in Canada, they don't need a reason to pull you over, the just can.
            Really?

Originally posted by Mike11
            Maybe I'm out of line here, but here is what I'm thinking. Do you wear a short skirt at work? Like one that really hikes up when you are sitting in your car? With nice legs that go all the way up to your........... well you know what I'm saying. If so, that could be the reason you are getting stopped all the time. (it gets boring out here sometimes, what can I say )
            No, I wear very unflattering tan pants with front pleats that cause them to poof out in the front in a very unflattering manner. My pants are also about two inches too short. The pants they give us with our uniform are very very ugly. And I don't have nice legs.

I still don't know what law I was breaking if I was indeed breaking one. I'm not paranoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowing-Dee
              No, I wear very unflattering tan pants with front pleats that cause them to poof out in the front in a very unflattering manner. My pants are also about two inches too short. The pants they give us with our uniform are very very ugly. And I don't have nice legs.
              Well, it sounds like you have shot Mike's response down ....
              I still don't know what law I was breaking if I was indeed breaking one. I'm not paranoid.
              Actually, you don't have to actually break a law always to get stopped. There are reasons to stop some one ranging from reasonable suspicion, to probable cause, to a caretaker function (I stop a car suspecting a DUI, and find a diabetic slipping away instead, or I stop a car with a low tire or maybe a SUV pulling a camper on a hot day with the rear coveredin transmission fluid to let them know). I may stop cars that match a general discription of a suspect vehicle in the area, I may stop all cars coming out of a certain area if looking for escapee from road gang. And ... etc.

But actually ..... in your case, my first post above warrants a review.

Motives? I don't know, maybe someone has taken a liking to the "cut of your jib"?

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Really?

It could have been a criminal investigative stop, not a traffic stop. If that was the case, the police knew you had been at work and was not involved in the incident. Perhaps there was more than a traffic stop going down.
                Last edited by Tennsix; 02-20-2006, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                  It could have been a criminal investigative stop, not a traffic stop. If that was the case, the police knew you had been at work and was not involved in the incident. Perhaps there was more than a traffic stop going down.
                  Yeah, I guess. It seems as though every time I'm going somewhere in the city at night and there's an RCMP car with someone pulled over, they're still all there on my way back to where I was going and there's a city police car joining them.

Actually, I have seen another girl driving around that area with the exact same car as mine and she does seem a little suspicious.

Comment

Hmmm all I have to say is DAMN YOU GOT STOPPED AGAIN

Isn't this like the 5th time this year or something...lmmo
                    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Originally posted by Mike11
                      LOL, That explains why I only get warnings. Had one try to tell me I was out after cufew. LOL, was 35 at the time.

Slowing-Dee, It has been my experiance that they always have a reason to pull someone over, sometimes you may not like the reason, but they have one.
                      Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

Comment

Spee-Dee, or Slowing-Dee, like VtFuzz said, and your relatives have probably told you before, up here, as soon as you use the public roads or parking lots, we can stop you to see who you are and whether or not your are legally able to driver, as well as who the registered owner of the car is and whether or not it is legal to be on the road.

Sounds like the gals and guys got a call about something in that area and were checking everything that moved. You moved, so you were checked. Since they knew you, and knew that you were NOT whom, or whichever vehicle, they were looking for, they let you go.

If you are getting this up-tight about such stops, do you really still want to get into this line of work?
                        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                        "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo

If you are getting this up-tight about such stops, do you really still want to get into this line of work?
                          Yeah, I do. I see what you're saying, it just seemed to me before as if it was another one of those "oh look, it's so-and-so's cousin-in-law. Let's pull her over and give her a really hard time and then threaten to tell so-and-so on her" stops that seem to happen every night someone who knows who I am spots me driving. But I did notice two things that were different about this stop: the guy was actually really really nice to me, and he didn't threaten to tell my cousin-in-law on me for driving down a gravel road at night.( ) Those are the stops that start to get to me and I hope they aren't telling my cousin-in-law every time they pull me over. He really doesn't need the Spee-Dee report every week.

Originally posted by Photogrrlz
                          Isn't this like the 5th time this year or something...lmmo
                          No, it's the third time so far this year...I think...

Comment

Just goes to show that I'm right when I train a new Rook. The only ones who bust your balls are the ones who you give a break.

I tell'em not to give breaks, it saves me having to hear bulls--t calls and anonymous letters.

Thanks for proving my point, once again.
                            "You provide the beer, I'll provide the chaser!"

Comment

If the officer witnessed you commit a crime, typically a traffic violation.

If the officer has reasonable articulable suspiction that a person inside the vehicle has commited, or is about to commit a crime.

If the officer has reasonalbe, artiuclable suspiction that a person inside the vehicle may be ill or in danger.
                              You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5257 users online. 306 members and 4951 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X