Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caught speeding, was not going as fast as cop said.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught speeding, was not going as fast as cop said.

I am 17 years old, in the state of georgia, i was coming home on december 30th (i should have known to be especially careful) but it was late and my parents are extremely strict on curfew, so i was driving about 10-15 over the speed limit. I saw a police officer on the side of the road clocking people, and when i saw him, i immediately checked my speed, and i was going 53 in a 40 so i was thinking that I may get off, but about 2 minutes later a car comes racing up behind me with no lights on or anything, so i thought someone was just driving way too fast, so i pulled into the right lane to let him drive by and he started following me and about a minute later he turned on his lights and pulled me over. The officer told me that I had been going 66 in a 40. I dont believe this is true, but I am in no position to argue with a police officer, so i took the ticket. He was using radar, I have heard that there are many radar guns which may not be used in court, is this true? Are there any other things that i can do to help to keep from getting a $230 fine when i go to court on march 1st or to keep from getting my license suspended? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Houston, we have a problem

Wow I thought at first Spee Dee was asking another speeding ticket question.
    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

If you're innocent, contest it. If you're guilty, pay it.

If you think you were going slower (and that's a smaller fine), contest it and admit to how fast you were going. "I was going 53, but I wasn't going 60.""

Every radar gun used on the street can be used in court. They get calibrated regularly.

Comment

A few factors can cause your speedometer to be incorrect:

Mainly:
        Do you have wheels/rims other than factory size on the vehicle?
        Also, our cars have calibrated speedometers, most cars are +/- 5mph or so of being actual.

Also, by the time you saw him, he may have been tracking your speed for a while - it's possible you were going faster before you even saw him.

Comment

Pay the ticket and don't speed.
          Regardless of how fast you were speeding and at 17 way to young to be breaking any traffic laws.
          Or pay an attorney $1,000 to get you out of ticket and still have a fine to pay on top of attorney fees.

Comment

As I've said on MANY other posts, whether 13 over the posted limit or 20+ over, you are still guilty according to state law of speeding.

If it will make a difference in the fine amount, then go to court and say that you were going 53 in a 40. Apologize, beg the court's forgiveness, and ask for a smaller fine. Then, whatever they give you, say "thank you sir/maam."
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

We see you before you see us usually. I always get that "when I saw your car I looked down and I was only going blah blah blah..."
              Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Well the only thing I can see argueing about is if the issue was you were going less than 9mph over in which case it does not affect your insurance in North Carolina. However, since you were going over that, your just bumped.

- You could do a request for information *I THINK* and get the service records for the radar gun, sometimes they are not calibrated as often as they are supposed to be. If the regularly scheduled maintainence is not followed, and it gave a false reading then you might have something there.

- http://www.discountpartcenter.com/tirecalc.html Can help you see if your speedo is off due to rims / tires.

- Zipcreature
                THIS POST IS NOT DIRECTED TO ANY ONE.

Comment

Originally posted by aavixtech
                  Do you have wheels/rims other than factory size on the vehicle?

no i dont but i was accelerating from going around a turn when i saw him, there is no way i could do 66 and make it out alive around the turn i was doing.

Comment

Caught speeding.

It's highly unlikely a police agency is going to use a radar that won't stand up in court. The decision to fight or pay the citation is yours. Keep in mind, all the prosecution has to do is prove to the satisfaction of the court that you were exceeding the speed limit by 1 mph. Technical, but true.

Comment

thanks for all the help, one more thing, traffic violations do not mess up my background check for becoming a police officer correct?

Comment

Originally posted by curiousstudent
                        thanks for all the help, one more thing, traffic violations do not mess up my background check for becoming a police officer correct?
                        One ticket won't disqualify you, but all tickets count against you.

Comment

Just a quick question to go along with the post, would having a speedometer that is unproperly calibrated be a valid argument? this is assuming that you had absolutly no knowlege of the problem, and also given that there is no way that it could be so far off as to appear to be 40, but actualy going 70 and the driver not notice. but say you are ticketed for going 10 over, when your speedo read 5 over. I guess the overall question is, would the court extend any mercy to the driver, since he "truely" didnt know he was traveling at ten over the limit.
                          When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

Originally posted by OrlandoExp103
                            Just a quick question to go along with the post, would having a speedometer that is unproperly calibrated be a valid argument? this is assuming that you had absolutly no knowlege of the problem, and also given that there is no way that it could be so far off as to appear to be 40, but actualy going 70 and the driver not notice. but say you are ticketed for going 10 over, when your speedo read 5 over. I guess the overall question is, would the court extend any mercy to the driver, since he "truely" didnt know he was traveling at ten over the limit.
                            No, it's not a valid excuse. Most states don't even require you to have a speedometer, but they do require you to obey the speed limit.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                              No, it's not a valid excuse. Most states don't even require you to have a speedometer, but they do require you to obey the speed limit.
                              Thanks, just something that ive been wondering. Now i have another tool to counteract arguments when we do traffic stop scenarios.

Btw, for the states that do require, would that be a place to give a "fix-it-ticket," or equivolent? Anyone know specifialy for Florida?
                              Last edited by OrlandoExp103; 01-26-2006, 10:17 PM.
                              When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5472 users online. 183 members and 5289 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X