300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun in Snow?? What you think?

When it snows here the only thing fun to do seems like jumping in a car and heading in a parking lot for some drifting and donuts. What do you guys think about this and is it illegal and why??

When you call 911 to report your car stuck in a ditch or you ran into a snow bank while doing those donuts...then we'll talk.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Tjim5
      When it snows here the only thing fun to do seems like jumping in a car and heading in a parking lot for some drifting and donuts. What do you guys think about this and is it illegal and why??
      You're actually serious?

Illegal because:

1 - It is in the law books and we are LAW ENFORCEMENT officers
      2 - It is reckless operation when you cannot maintain control of your vehicle and endanger lives (even just yours) & property (the parking lot and what it contains)

Here's a thought, skiing? snowboarding? sledding? Safe and not illegal.
      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Yep. Illegal. Willful and Wanton Disregard of Safety (Private Property) in Ohio. Expensive citation. At least 4 points on your license. Increased insurance rates. And, that's just if I see you doing it and nothing else happens. You run into something (or someone) and you get to deal with those expenses too.

Still sound fun?
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Illegal.........................................bu t all kinds of fun.True Story from about 2 winters ago.I am coming into town and see some kids doing donuts in the middle of main street on the snow and ice.So I am reading them the riot act and my Shift partner-We will call him the Pup-comes up from behind to back me.As i am about to write the kids a ticket,one of the boys says,if you write me a ticket,you need to write him a ticket for the same thing.I look at them and say "WHAT"???They start in on how they just say my partner doing donuts down in front of the local Grocery Store,so how can he do it but they can't and they are going to get a ticket for the same thing that a cop did???I step back and ask the Pup if he did a donut and he says "Yeah it was kinda neat"!!!DAMN!!!So I proceed to Tell everybody to get back in their vehicles and get the hell outta here!!!LOL!!
          FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Fun form of reckless driving , ... unless it's a private parking lot closed off to all public access, then it's just plain fun as long as you have written permission from the lot's owner.

Even if all stores are closed at the mall for example, anyone can come through the same lot you want to drift in and your actions places them (and the light poles and store fronts) in danger.

Now if it's a buisness with a private employee only parking lot and that parking lot is chained off or gated and posted "private parking only" and there are "No Tresspassing signs, and no one else or their vehicles are there (it's empty) and you have the permission slip, that's different.

If it's just an acre that you had paved for your persional pleasure and not open to the public in any way, that's OK too.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Its my school parking lot, its not near any main roads nor does it have any islands or curbs.

Comment

Its my school parking lot, its not near any main roads nor does it have any islands or curbs.
                As long as it is open (and traveled) by the driving public, you can be cited (at least in my state).
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Then most likely I am sure it is still illegal and you would be considered trespassing on school property. Although I am sure you think its the "cool" thing to do....well it's not. This is not the time of year to get yourself into an accident. Think safe, not stupid.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I've seen quite a few CVPI's take part in these sessions

Comment

Doing donuts in an excellent way to learn skid control. I use to do them all the time and still do one or two a year just to remind me. Because of doing them I am able to get out of almost any skid (almost never happens). I was stopped by a LEO one day, I explained and he just told me don't do it here..

It all depends on where you live and your attitude.

and for heavens sake, don't do it on a road!

Comment

I remember my dad taking me into a parking lot and teaching me how to recover from spins, etc. That was the most fun driving lesson I'd ever had.

The above posts are pretty much correct. Doing donuts in your school parking lot can get you into some trouble.
                        It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Oh, I agree that it's good experience and that it teaches skid control. You just can't do it legally on any roadway or parking lot that is open to public use.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
                            Illegal.........................................bu t all kinds of fun.True Story from about 2 winters ago.I am coming into town and see some kids doing donuts in the middle of main street on the snow and ice.So I am reading them the riot act and my Shift partner-We will call him the Pup-comes up from behind to back me.As i am about to write the kids a ticket,one of the boys says,if you write me a ticket,you need to write him a ticket for the same thing.I look at them and say "WHAT"???They start in on how they just say my partner doing donuts down in front of the local Grocery Store,so how can he do it but they can't and they are going to get a ticket for the same thing that a cop did???I step back and ask the Pup if he did a donut and he says "Yeah it was kinda neat"!!!DAMN!!!So I proceed to Tell everybody to get back in their vehicles and get the hell outta here!!!LOL!!
                            haha. That's awesome.

That'd be a fun site to catch a cop doing some donuts when he thinks no one is watching.

Doing donuts while munching on donuts.

Comment

Last winter I had a call of an MVC in a parking lot. When I got there I learned that the kid who was driving was doing donuts in the parking lot. He ended up hitting the only light post in the lot. He caused nearly $10 000 damage to his father's new 2004 Dodge Ram. Dad wasn't happy with his son. When I gave the kid his Careless driving ticket, his Dad thanked me for ensuring that his son took responsibility for his actions.
                              But by the grace of God, I am what I am.
                              1 Corinthians 15:10

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3031 users online. 180 members and 2851 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X