300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the scene of an accident????

What usually happens in a trial for someone with no prior record who "left the scene of an accident"? My sister backed into someone in a parking lot and sped off but 1 minute later the people she hit were on her tail so she stopped. There was a witness and everything. She had insurance and that paid for the damage to their car. She got a ticket, went to court and the judge told her that she had a trial date set after the new year. She's only 18. Do you think she'll go to jail?

Jail? Doubt it... pretty stupid move though.

Comment

Originally posted by screwdriver131
      What usually happens in a trial for someone with no prior record who "left the scene of an accident"? My sister backed into someone in a parking lot and sped off but 1 minute later the people she hit were on her tail so she stopped. There was a witness and everything. She had insurance and that paid for the damage to their car. She got a ticket, went to court and the judge told her that she had a trial date set after the new year. She's only 18. Do you think she'll go to jail?
      She will get a fine. Just tell her to go in and tell the judge that she is guilty. Tell her the best thing she can do is just admit what she did and pay the price.
      New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the *******. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande? half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge *******.

Comment

Yes Screwdriver, she will go to jail and be put in with all the other criminals that have stolen flowers from a neighbors yard or a newspaper....

Dude, chill out, she will most likely have to pay the fine of the ticket and maybe, maybe get points on her license!
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

as with any offense, the punishment will depend on a few things (including judge's temperament, if yur judges are elected, previous record, etc.). With what you've said, I sincerely doubt she'll receive any jail time as long as she's well behaved in court. You may want to look to see PBJ is an option. That being said I feel obligated to mention the following for fear of being proved wrong in this example...there was the guy who broke into a car here in b-more and got 9 years.
          What What?

Comment

Originally posted by explorerscout83
            She will get a fine. Just tell her to go in and tell the judge that she is guilty. Tell her the best thing she can do is just admit what she did and pay the price.
            Well, the way our legal - not justice - system is set up, you lose less if you fight the charge. So for her, that's probably BAD advice. As a police officer, you know it is in her interest to get a good attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by Akadian8
              Well, the way our legal - not justice - system is set up, you lose less if you fight the charge. So for her, that's probably BAD advice. As a police officer, you know it is in her interest to get a good attorney.
              Best interest to fight the charge????? Lets see most places it is a misd. to leave the scene of an accident. Here the judge can give you up to 90 days in jail. So if you fight the charge and are found guilty they can give you 90 days in jail. Go in admit wrong judge can and will suspend all of jail time.
              New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the *******. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande? half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge *******.

Comment

Best interest to fight the charge????? Lets see most places it is a misd. to leave the scene of an accident. Here the judge can give you up to 90 days in jail. So if you fight the charge and are found guilty they can give you 90 days in jail. Go in admit wrong judge can and will suspend all of jail time.
                Well, I don't know where THERE is...but HERE the defense and the prosecution work things out, and in the end the prosecution recommends the correct charge and punishment.

And when I said "fight" it, I meant to not leave it UNCONTESTED. You can fight things just by using the purse and hiring a lawyer.

Comment

Just tell her to go in and tell the judge that she is guilty.

Go in admit wrong judge can and will suspend all of jail time.

Tell her the best thing she can do is just admit what she did and pay the price.
                  You've got to be kidding. Based on what screwdriver131 wrote (or left out), I'm not sure if the elements of hit and run have been met. I've seen a lot of "backup" accidents where the drivers weren't even aware that they had caused any damage, so they just drove off. Absent knowledge that she had caused damage (which screwdriver131 didn't spell out) you could be advising her to plead guilty when if fact, she may not be. More facts are needed here.

And BTW, throwing yourself on the mercy of the court is not always the best way to go. Screwdriver131 - tell her to call an attorney. It may cost her a few bucks and if she is in fact guilty, it is unlikely the attorney will make it go away. But, after working with the DA, he can probably soften the blow.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

She should, but it depends on your state's law.

If it involves personal injury or damage to attended property in excess of $1000, here it's a "FELONY", and "yes", jail is then extremely likely (and certainly proper).

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Akadian8
                      Well, I don't know where THERE is...but HERE the defense and the prosecution work things out, and in the end the prosecution recommends the correct charge and punishment.

And when I said "fight" it, I meant to not leave it UNCONTESTED. You can fight things just by using the purse and hiring a lawyer.

If it's been set for trial, then obviously a plea agreement HAS NOT been worked out between the DA and her attorney. If she goes to trial, the judge recommends the punishment, not the DA. In TN, since it was minor property damage, she would probably get probation and fines.

Though going to trial when there are multiple witnesses, she's going to pay alot more money than if a plea bargain was agreed upon.
                      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Well I'm glad she's not gonna have to go to jail. Hopefully she'll learn her lesson. Thanks for your replies!

Comment

Well I'm glad she's not gonna have to go to jail. Hopefully she'll learn her lesson.
                          How would you know that so quickly? You just posted the question yesterday and no responders here show Alabama as location, they all are basing their responses on their state's law it appears. There is still hope that she may get a free meal or two out of it at the least.
                          Thanks for your replies!
                          Don't give it a second thought, it weren't much.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

May lose her license for a bit.....
                            THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Does your area have a No Lo Contendre plea?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6383 users online. 261 members and 6122 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X