Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traffic stops and people with carry permits.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic stops and people with carry permits.

I've never been able to get a straight answer on this subject from any official source.

Should someone with a carry permit notify a police officer who has stopped them in a traffic stop, and if so, when?

(I'm not talking about permits which allow you to transport a firearm in the locked case in the trunk, I mean CCW permits for a loaded firearm on a person.)

This situation has only occured once and that was several years ago.
    (I know...I know...speeding bad...yeah...yeah...my fault...mea culpa...I was 10 miles over the limit, but he got me fair and square so I didn't complain or anything.)

I pulled right over, shut the car off, kept my hands on the wheel and gave him my licence, registration and insurance and carry permit, then told him what it was and were it was (If anyone really cares, G-19, IWB strong side), all the time keeping my hand on the wheel.

He wrote the ticket and didn't seem conserned or worried at all (Of course, that may have been because while he was talking to me from the passanger side, his partner approached on my blind spot on the drivers side, which I have to say was VERY smoothly and VERY quitely done because until he spoke up I never even knew he was almost in kissing distance, not exactly easy in boots and carrying 30 pounds of stuff on your belt...), just telling me leave it were it is, so I did.

He wrote the ticket, I sighed, he went on with his day, I went on with mine.

I was told later by another officer that I probably should not have informed that officer, unless he asked me to step out of the car, in which case I should tell him then and, of course, not to reach for the gun.

So my question, tell the officer at the begining of the encounter or tell him only if he askes me to leave the car for some reason?

Nothing in the CT General Statutes mentions one way or the other about a duty to inform an officer (that I could find, but something may have been added on Oct 1), but I'd like to know, when would you guys say is the prefered time to notify the officer of a firearm in the vehicle on your person?

No sudden movements, hands on the wheel, dome light on if its night...that's a given...what is prefered by you guys if you don't have a statute mandating that you be notified of someone carrying, at the start of the encounter or only if he asks me to step out of the car?

Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT
    I pulled right over, shut the car off, kept my hands on the wheel and gave him my licence, registration and insurance and carry permit, then told him what it was and were it was (If anyone really cares, G-19, IWB strong side), all the time keeping my hand on the wheel.
    PERFECT!

I was told later by another officer that I probably should not have informed that officer, unless he asked me to step out of the car, in which case I should tell him then and, of course, not to reach for the gun.
    Bad idea... I want to know as soon as possible as I am approaching. No surprises. It really does add more credibility that you told me up front, rather than as an afterthought. (In NC, you are required to tell me and show me CCW permit).

So my question, tell the officer at the begining of the encounter or tell him only if he askes me to leave the car for some reason?
    Beginning.

what is prefered by you guys if you don't have a statute mandating that you be notified of someone carrying, at the start of the encounter or only if he asks me to step out of the car?
    Start of encounter, please, for safety... Thank you!
    Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

What idiot told you not to inform officer you had a firearm ??????????

ALWAYS present license, reg, proof of insurance an CCW PERMIT and verbally tell officer you have permit and weapon.

NEVER lsten to that idiot AGAIN.

Comment

In Ohio, all but other LEO have a duty to announce to officer
        Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Comment

Definantly notify the officer and make with the permit to prove it.it is law in alot of states to notify law enforcement upon any contact with them that you are carrying.
          FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

You did exactly what you were supposed to do. I want you to tell me as SOON as I approach the car that you have a weapon. Just think how bad your stop could have gone if didn't mention your weapon and the partner who snuck up on you saw it. You would have had two guns in your face and then you would have your face on the asphalt, with two knees in your back!

Whatever dumb*** told you not to notify LEO needs a good kick in the balls

Comment

In some states it is required, in others it is not. Here the CCW certification is printed on your license and the advice that I have read about this topic in Missouri is that if the officer wants to know, he will ask if you are armed otherwise dont' mention it. I don't have a CCW permit, but I would probably inform the officer anyways.

Is throwing a driver to the ground for not conveying the fact that he is legally carrying a firearm when he has no duty to do so a standard practice? Are you speaking from the perspective in your state where it may be required to disclose that fact?

In either case, does it change the way you treat the driver? Wouldn't you automatically assume that any driver they pull over has a weapon that is able to kill you? What is the difference in the way you act when you believe there may be a gun in the vehicle and knowing there is a gun in the car? If someone was planning to use a firearm against you, they obviously would not tell you about it. Does the person having a valid CCW permit and being armed make you feel that the person is less of a risk than someone who has not undergone background checks for their permit?

Comment

In Tennessee we do have CCW and I applaud it. I think every law abiding citizen should have the right to carry and defend themselves and others.

With that being said if I make a traffic stop and the driver doesn't mention that he has a weapon on him, that makes me think he has something to hide. All LEO's know the main rule is go home every night. If someone is armed and I or my Partner have to "Discover" that, then I am putting my pistol in his face and I am putting him on the ground. Now once I found out that he does have a permit then more than likely I will apologize and explain why I did what I did; however, I will still be justified in my actions.

I make stops all the time and drivers tell me they are armed, have a weapon in the glove box, etc. I thank and tell them just don't touch it or "go for it" I conduct the traffic stop as usual and send them on their way.

And yes I treat EVERYBODY as if they were armed.

Comment

Gray, in Missouri CCW is fairly new and I had read reports (no way to know if they are true or not) of officers in Missouri in areas that were strongly opposed to CCW legislation disarming drivers and taking the legally possessed firearms to verify that the weapon had not been used in a crime.

We had a chief who, even after the laws were passed, made public statements that anyone who carried a pistol would be arrested. I imagine that things have cooled down since then, but for awhile there was a bit of uncertainty as to exactly what would happen if you did disclose to an officer and he or his department did not agree with the new law. Of course, had you not disclosed the fact to one of those officers you would have been in for an even rougher ride if they found out you were carrying than if you had disclosed.

Comment

It has already been said, but you absolutely did the right thing.
                    Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Although I will never have a gun (can't afford it), I remember the news casters and papers saying in ohio you would have to let them know whenever you were stopped for some reason.
                      Last edited by Phantom135; 10-28-2005, 03:09 PM.
                      "Excuse me, can you help me? I'm a spy! "--Doctor Who

"I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein, and I want to know what it is you're doing with my time?!"--Captain Rhodes

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5780 users online. 354 members and 5426 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X