300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat license plates

If your state (either 2 or 1 tag, doesn't matter) now issues the flat plates, do you think they are easier to read, etc.? Just curious.
    "Excuse me, can you help me? I'm a spy! "--Doctor Who

"I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein, and I want to know what it is you're doing with my time?!"--Captain Rhodes

I guess mines still has the regular,haven't noticed a difference.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

We have a 2 tag law and ours are raised. I think the Raised ones are easier to read then the flat ones. Indiana has the flat ones and we come across a lot of em.
      "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

I think the raised letters reflect light better at night and are easier to read.

Plus.. the flat plates are still kind of new in Ohio and I still sometimes have to do a double take thinking someone has a counterfeit plate on their car. Looks too close to a quality computer printout rather than a license plate at first glance.

But then again, maybe I am just getting old and set in my ways and am resistent to change. I still don't like Ohio's Bicentennial plates that have been out a couple of years now; because they changed the lettering configuration from ABC-1234 to AA12BB.

Comment

Pedro is correct. We have flat plates in Indiana now and they are difficult to see at night. It does not help that they are ugly to start with.

Comment

The first time I saw a flat Ohio plate I thought it was fake. I stopped the car (for another valid violation) and went up and rubbed the plate to see if the letters scratched off. Our department never got any info about this change, so it caught me off guard. I think the raised letters are easier to read.
            South Bloomfield Police Department
            K9 Unit

American Working Dog Council

Comment

Ohio is going to flat and it's only beacuse they are cheaper to make. Yet odd thing is the cost reduction isn't being passed on to the taxpayers

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                Ohio is going to flat and it's only beacuse they are cheaper to make. Yet odd thing is the cost reduction isn't being passed on to the taxpayers
                Seems to always work that way
                It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  A few years ago I wrote to several one plate issuing states and asked if they had a problem with only having one license plate on vehicles and what was the decision to drop the front plate. 99% said they did not have any problems with one plate. The one that told me they did have a problem with one plate only never did have front tags (KY). All in all the ones that were changed from two tags to one said it was a cost savings measure. Ohio should follow the example, but our state govt is worried about the Governor getting free golf games and not disclosing them.
                  Last edited by Phantom135; 11-19-2005, 01:28 PM.

"I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein, and I want to know what it is you're doing with my time?!"--Captain Rhodes

Comment

Indiana Plates are a pain. For a while the numbers and letters were all grouped together (47A3456) on a flat plate...hard to read. Then the separated them
                    (47 A 3456) easier to read but still a pain. Michigan has the right idea.

Blue background w/ white raised letters, and at night the plate reflects white w/ black letters.
                    If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, you need to re-think your tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom135
                      A few years ago I wrote to several one plate issuing states and asj=ked if they had a problem with only having one license plate on vehicles and what was the decision to drop the front plate. 99% said they did not have any problems with one plate. The one that told me they did have a problem with one plate only never did have front tags (KY). All in all the ones that were changed from two tags to one said it was a cost savings measure. Ohio should follow the example, but our state govt is worried about the Governor getting free golf games and not disclosing them.
                      Sorry man, someone already tried the no front plate argument. It's foolish. Even if they did do away with a second plate the cost would not be any less expensive to the tax payer. They would certainly find something else to fund with that money.

I'm all for front plates. Many a good witness was able to get a full plate number or darn good partial off of an approaching vehicle that was leaving the scene of crime x,y,z. Alot of cases have been solved with that information. And the lack of a front plate is great pc to stop a car that you suspect needs your attention. I've gotten DUI's, DUS's,and many other things out of a no front plate.
                      In god we trust, the rest we run through NCIC

Comment

Texas is phasing in the "flat" plates. Don't notice if they're any harder to read, they just look fake.
                        The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                        Ronald Reagan

Comment

Yesterday I renewed my one car's tags, and let my initial plates go on my main car. Saved only $10 by doing that, but that's $10 I hope to use elsewhere. The new tags are the stock raised letters. I asked about Ohio and the flat tags, and they only do the flat tags for special request tags like the Scenic Rivers, Wildlife, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by edg103
                            Texas is phasing in the "flat" plates. Don't notice if they're any harder to read, they just look fake.
                            And the new computer printed widow stickers. How long will it be before some one starts selling fake ones to match your stolen LP?

Comment

Indiana's plates are a major pain to read. When they first came out, the middle letter was smaller than the numbers. At least they fixed that part. The flat along with the color scheme makes it very difficult to read, especially in low light or bad weather.
                              "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
                              John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2959 users online. 200 members and 2759 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X