300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher Speeds

I've really been curious for a long time. I searched the best I could and couldn't find any other threads about this.

So let's say you're patrolling a quiet highway in the middle of the night. Two situations, let's say, one is a 4 lane divided highway, and the other is a 2lane highway that is undivided. There's no traffic, seeing as it's 1 AM, and all of the sudden, a car goes flying by. You get him on the laser as going 140 MPH.

Do you even pursue him? IIRC, the Fords you drive can go 160 or so.

So let's say you catch up to him, and he promptly pulls over.

Do you treat it like a normal traffic stop, or do you scream and tell him to get out of the car with his hands up kind of thing?

He seems like a nice kid who really doesn't mean to hurt anyone.

What kind of charges is he looking at? And what kind of things would you get him for?

I'm concerned for the safety of a few reckless friends and family members.

Originally posted by lgbr
    I've really been curious for a long time. I searched the best I could and couldn't find any other threads about this.

So let's say you're patrolling a quiet highway in the middle of the night. Two situations, let's say, one is a 4 lane divided highway, and the other is a 2lane highway that is undivided. There's no traffic, seeing as it's 1 AM, and all of the sudden, a car goes flying by. You get him on the laser as going 140 MPH.

So let's say you catch up to him, and he promptly pulls over.

Do you treat it like a normal traffic stop, or do you scream and tell him to get out of the car with his hands up kind of thing?

He seems like a nice kid who really doesn't mean to hurt anyone.

What kind of charges is he looking at? And what kind of things would you get him for?

I'm concerned for the safety of a few reckless friends and family members.
    "License and registration please....sign here sir/mam...you are receiving a ticket for speeding, wreckless driving and dangerous driving...have a nice day!"

It's as simple as that...so my suggestion since you thought up this plan of yours...slow down!
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I would treat it as a normal traffic stop unless there was a reason to treat is as a felony stop.

I then would tow your car, write you a ticket for speeding, reckless driving, and dangerous driving.
      John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

your car would go to car jail, on a wrecker, and you would go to people jail, reckless is in same subsection as drunk driving.

Comment

The tickets shall be written.

Comment

Reason for Editing.
            Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM.
            Work smarter not harder!

Comment

OK maybe this kid should change the vehicle to a streetbike or donorcycle goes by at 140mph..
              Same here, attempt to catch up and if I was back in the city, you get extricated from the car BUT since Iam a kinder gentler cop, you just sign here and plead not guilty... Lets let the judge assess a fine, notice I said ASSess. BTW - if a guy is going 140 in my town, he is gonna be road kill as the hills and curves will get most young bucks
              I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by e-man
                OK maybe this kid should change the vehicle to a streetbike or donorcycle goes by at 140mph..
                Same here, attempt to catch up and if I was back in the city, you get extricated from the car BUT since Iam a kinder gentler cop, you just sign here and plead not guilty... Lets let the judge assess a fine, notice I said ASSess. BTW - if a guy is going 140 in my town, he is gonna be road kill as the hills and curves will get most young bucks
                here its the craters or potholes. dang crappy roads.

Comment

Thats the funniest thing I've heard in a while! 160? Pfffft, I gots the uber Po-Po-Package... 340 with a slight tailwind

As for the rest.... that's Jail.
                  What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
                  Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Sure I would try and catch the suspect vehicle. It is my job to enforce the law.

Whether we CONTINUE to pursue a vehicle or not in my department depends on several factors: weather, traffic, original offense, speeds, location... It all comes down to what that supervisor says.

I would personally rather have an 18 year old live through the night rather than kill himself or another person... especially me. If you did not slow down any I would try to get a vehicle description and back off.

Just because my car goes 160 does not mean I will... To many officers die on the roads...

Anyway back to your questions...

If they pulled over normally I would probably do a "more than normal" cautious approach to the vehicle. I would take the person into custody...

If they jumped out of the car on me. Well just like every other person they would be advised to get back into the car, and given these circumstances, yea, my gun would be out then.
                    Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Like I said, I was asking because I'm concerned for family and friends. I never drive that fast.

But what I'm getting here is, a person could just keep moving at those speeds, and if the officer could not get a license plate number, he wouldn't be able to do anything?

Even if you could get the license plate number, how would you be able to catch the driver?

Comment

Stop him, cite him, and let him know that when the court hears his case, his license WILL be suspended, his insurance WILL go through the roof, and if Mommy and Daddy are paying the bills, they probably won't be very happy with Junior.
                        Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

You cannot outrun the radio or your own stupidity

Comment

where the crap did you get that at??

what is IIRC?

Comment

If I Recall Correctly

He got it at the same place as you can't arrest without miranda first!
                              What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
                              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4638 users online. 271 members and 4367 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X