Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper Procedure for pulling over on a bike?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Procedure for pulling over on a bike?

Hi,

A few weeks ago, I got pulled in my car by 2 bicycle cops in New Jersey.

My questions are:

- are they legally allowed to do this?
    - what is the procedure for a cop on a bicycle to pull over a car? ( I ask this because the cops rode across a main street and nearly collided into my car, as they pulled me over....scaring the heck out of me that they were just some stupid bikers who were crossing the road without any reflectors )

They didn't have ANY reflectors, lights, etc. as NJ law stipulates that bikers must have.

The biker cops pulled me over for pulling an "improper U turn", and no less than 2 minutes after they finished writing the ticket, they proceeded to do the exact same manuever on their bikes at the same place. I have a witness for that.

( In NJ it is the law that bikes must follow the same laws as motor vehicles on the road )

Pay the fine and get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by SO535
      Pay the fine and get over it.
      No way. Provide me with the money and I'll think about it

Comment

Or, dont pay the fine and go to jail.

or, pay a lawyer a lot of money so you don't have to pay the ticket.

Either way you are gonna pay.

Yes they can stop you on a bike and yes they can break traffic law within reason according to whatever NJ code says.

As far as their traffic infraction, It has nothing to do with your case and will not disprove it or invalidate it in any way.

Comment

Officers can violate traffic laws in the performance our our duties. (it would be physically impossible to pull over a speeder if we couldn't because we have to speed to catch them)

Even if we couldn't "he did something wrong too" isn't a defense for a violation that you did.

Pay the fine.

Comment

if u feel u r not guilty plead not guilty

Comment

Originally posted by rider25
              if u feel u r not guilty plead not guilty
              I pulled the U turn at the middle of an unmarked intersection at 1 o'clock in the morning because the street was full of parked cars ( making less room to turn around ), and because my car has a terrible turning radius and line of sight. It was to avoid being a danger to other cars.....and yet they slapped me with a ticket....then rode off and did that same maneuver 2 minutes later ( how is that in performance of their duties? they weren't chasing any other cars.... )

Comment

Originally posted by Pulled over
                I pulled the U turn at the middle of an unmarked intersection at 1 o'clock in the morning because the street was full of parked cars ( making less room to turn around ), and because my car has a terrible turning radius and line of sight. It was to avoid being a danger to other cars.....and yet they slapped me with a ticket....then rode off and did that same maneuver 2 minutes later ( how is that in performance of their duties? they weren't chasing any other cars.... )

Being on a bicycle is a little different then being in a car. Also, many emergency vehicles are exempted from certain laws at times.
                THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Originally posted by Photogrrlz
                  Being on a bicycle is a little different then being in a car. Also, many emergency vehicles are exempted from certain laws at times.
                  What time was it, that they were exempt from the law of improper U turns?
                  They were not responding to a call.

Comment

Would you have been upset if an officer had just yelled at you to pull over, then wrote the ticket? Or are you just ****ed because you got caught by a "bike" cop? Grow up. Next time you might get a helicopter follow you home and have a road unit meet you there.
                    Jerry
                    "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

By the way, what's an unmarked intersection? Would that be one that says "no u-turns in this intersection or you might get stopped by the bicycle patrol officers?"
                      Jerry
                      "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                        Would you have been upset if an officer had just yelled at you to pull over, then wrote the ticket? Or are you just ****ed because you got caught by a "bike" cop?
                        Hopefully mounted patrol will get em next time. They dont have lights and sirens either. Seems to **** the horse off.
                        Work smarter not harder!

Comment

It is illegal to do a U-turn in NJ unless the intersection is marked in the affirmative for U-turns. Pretty much the exact opposite here in CA.

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                          By the way, what's an unmarked intersection? "
                          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Pulled over
                            Hi,

A few weeks ago, I got pulled in my car by 2 bicycle cops in New Jersey.

My questions are:

- are they legally allowed to do this?
                            - what is the procedure for a cop on a bicycle to pull over a car? ( I ask this because the cops rode across a main street and nearly collided into my car, as they pulled me over....scaring the heck out of me that they were just some stupid bikers who were crossing the road without any reflectors )

They didn't have ANY reflectors, lights, etc. as NJ law stipulates that bikers must have.

The biker cops pulled me over for pulling an "improper U turn", and no less than 2 minutes after they finished writing the ticket, they proceeded to do the exact same manuever on their bikes at the same place. I have a witness for that.

( In NJ it is the law that bikes must follow the same laws as motor vehicles on the road )
                            Legally, yes a police officer can do a traffic stop (detention) from a bike. We can also do them on foot patrol as well. Maybe not the most tactically safe or "norm" but they are certainly legal....

Procedure for stopping vehicles in general various from one agency to the next.

If you have a complaint/concern about the interaction (traffic violation / equipment violation on the officers bike) you can always contact the agency supervisors to ask them about it.

If you have a concern or question about the ticket you were issued. You can always go to court.
                            Retired 02/01/13

Comment

You committed the violation (you've even admitted it)- elect court or pay the fine.

If you're ****ed that a bike officer wrote you the ticket, they have the same enforcement authority as any other officer. They saw a violation and stopped the violator - there is no difference if they are on a bike, horse, car, or on foot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2983 users online. 163 members and 2820 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X