Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A ticket or a warning - how do you decide?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ticket or a warning - how do you decide?

For minor traffic violations, what do you consider when deciding whether to issue an infraction, written warning, or just a verbal? (for example: attitude, prior infractions, beginning/end of shift, number of infractions pending in court, etc.) Which of the prior examples are more important in determining your decision? Also, at what point do you make your decision? As soon as you initiate the stop or after talking with the driver?

I generally consider type of violation, driving history, attitude, if there was a crash. I usually have an idea of whether or not I am going to issue a ticket by the time I get his DL/reg. If I am working on grant time, everyone gets a ticket.

Every stop is different and I can not say I have a

Comment

Every stop is different. Minor infractions (headlight out/LP light out/etc.):generally gets a warning unless they give a really crappy attitude.....Sign here please, sir/ma'am
      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

My critieria are:

- Prior warnings. We track that; if they got a warning on that headlight a week ago they're getting a ticket today.
        - Attitude. If they cuss me out, I have no reason to believe they're going to fix the problem. "I wasn't speeding you idiot!" means they're not going to change what they did wrong.
        - Seriousness. If someone is doing 55 in a 25 nothing else matters. They'll at least get a ticket. Possibly arrested.

Comment

I have never written tickets for every charge that I observed on a stop. Saying that...people have a habit of taking themselves into trouble. I have had some that I stopped for warnings that eneded up getting a ticket because their attitude showed that they completely resisted any responsibility for their behaviour.

Our tickets have space for 3 charges on each ticket. Some folks get a home run (3 charges)...and even then...get a break. After 25 years I have yet to figure out why folks who are cussin' you out at the top of their lungs, expect to get a break from the guy they are swearing at? You want a warning.?..."warning...yer gettin a ticket and here it comes"!!!

Comment

I depends on if its the beginning or end of the month.
            Work smarter not harder!

Comment

Originally posted by lazycop
              I depends on if its the beginning or end of the month.
              Gotta get that toaster-oven

Comment

Ther's too many variablesto give a definite answer. Most LEOs will consider type of infraction,location,attitude, time of day (& month),subj's. background(crim.history or just traffic vio.?), as well as who they're working for. I think you can see that with some many variables the argument that ALL cops profile ALL the time (yes,I've heard that ) really can't hold true.

Comment

I have a general idea of who's getting a ticket and who's getting a warning before I even approach the car. I like to be consistent, but there are some factors that may change my mind ie. driving record, attitude, time of day etc. My rules for speeding are 10-15 over warning 15+ ticket. If I stop someone for lets say 17 over and they're attitude is good and driving record is good I'll give them a break on their citation (lower the charge, no points, smaller fine). Anything double the speed limit or more = reckless driving + speeding ticket which is a huge fine and many points.

Comment

Originally posted by JHoek
                    Gotta get that toaster-oven
                    Hell yeah. And make sure at least one person shows up on my court date so I get my 6 hrs.
                    Work smarter not harder!

Comment

#1 attitude:
                      Accept the consquences if you get pulled over. Or if you curse at me on foreign language, (those people who tend to do this approach tend to be Serbo-Croatians).

#2 driving history: poor driving history.
                      If person whom I've pulled over has received more than three citations or is habitual offender (constant warnings, citations etc) receives ticket.

#3 reason for initiated TS (traffic stop):
                      If it's 10 over yes ticket is issued, busted tail light (depends), running red light (ticket) etc. If it's car accident of course ticket and possibly arrest.

#4 my favorite B.S. Excuses:
                      "Oh I'm in hurry to get there for such and such reason." Should have left the house early instead of running late. Or crying in front of me. Please spare me of tears and B.S. excuses, considering if roles were revised that same person would give me ticket.

Comment

Last edited by Rally; 09-15-2005, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley DoRight
                          Our tickets have space for 3 charges on each ticket. Some folks get a home run (3 charges)...and even then...get a break. After 25 years I have yet to figure out why folks who are cussin' you out at the top of their lungs, expect to get a break from the guy they are swearing at? You want a warning.?..."warning...yer gettin a ticket and here it comes"!!!

You guys need citation continuation forms. It's a ticket with nothing but empty lines for more violations. They are a "page two" of the ticket. You can use several forms. In theory you have an infinite amount of violations you can list. I have only used it once. The guy totally deserved every violation I gave him too. I think I listed 6 or 7 violations.

Comment

I have a set speed, and if you go over it, you get a ticket. That way I don't have to justify why "Joe Dirtbag" got a ticket for 70 in a 55, and "Grandma Smith" didn't. I will take into consideration their driving record and if it's appropriate I'll make it a lessor violation. If you cuss at me or show me an attitude, you'll get a ticket for sure, and the only break you'll get is if you can convince the court you deserve one.

Our citations suck, as there is only room for one charge on each citation. If you want to cite for more than one thing, you have to issue separate citations.
                            Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Rally...I just go to a second 3 slot ticket...have only done that a couple of times. Guys who get them have a major attitude and ability problem and bad history. I find that, almost without exception, the hard-core crims I deal with never contest a ticket...and they get NO breaks at all. My traffic fines end up costing them way more than criminal convictions.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4865 users online. 244 members and 4621 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X