Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• earlthepearl
    replied
    Yes, DoD has park rangers, but I think they are called conservation officers. They go to FLETC and attend the same training that National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife, Forest Service and TVA go to.

Leave a comment:

• Tigershark
    replied
    Originally posted by jakflak View Post
    The real question is, where do the park rangers go to "Get away from it all"?
    Hahaha! That's a clown question, bro!

Leave a comment:

• HollywoodJayy
    replied
    Originally posted by RECOIL4015 View Post
    Our Game Warden Had Me Come Out Last Fall Because He Had The Robo Deer Shot From A Truck And The Guy Was Dus. I Had To Write The Dus.
    Is there a reason you capitalized every single word?

Leave a comment:

• SCSU11
    replied
    Here, all Law Enforcement are of equal power. However, if a city cop is going out on trails and lakes he might have a difficult time explaining his reasons for enforcement in court. Same as if a Conservation Officer is enforcing traffic all day. City, County, State, and Conservation Officers do work together at times, and that is why all share equal power. Also, county enforcement tends to enforce fish and game laws considering they patrol waterways and trails. If County comes across a major issue such as poaching they will report it to Conservation Officers. If it is a simple citation such as fishing without a license, they will write it up.

Leave a comment:

• Snoddy
    replied
    For anyone interested, don't forget about the Bureau of Land Management Ranger Law Enforcement Officer. I talked to one of their recruiters and they hire for new Officers to go to El Centro, CA and then they can transfer to a better posting.

Leave a comment:

• CACBAND
    replied
    Originally posted by Bel_Biv_CA View Post
    Has anybody heard of DoD park rangers?
    Yes, my buddy was a DOD Park Ranger, though he did more normal LE than game enforcement. However his base did away with the program and he's now doing LE for a different agency.

Leave a comment:

• Hanmo
    replied
    There are all kinds of Park Rangers. I went to Academy with Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism Officers who had statewide jurisdiction, but there are also Federal Park Rangers also.

Leave a comment:

• Bel_Biv_CA
    replied
    Has anybody heard of DoD park rangers?

Leave a comment:

• Camo Cop
    replied
    Thanks FearTheCats. I can see that with the Fed. Park Rangers. Our state agents are, on average, a lot different than the average Fed. Ranger.

Leave a comment:

• bwolf
    replied
    So to sum things up Josh... whether or not a park ranger has law enforcement authority is completely up to the agency that employs them. It isn't just a simple cut yes or no. As you see above, many feds, NPS, US Forestry Service, Game Rangers, etc are usually full authority sworn LE. SOME state park rangers are LE, SOME are not (like AZ state rangers...they are mostly maintenence/interpretive rangers). SOME local cities employ sworn LEs, and again SOME do not. You need to check with the employing agency.

Then there are some Park Rangers who are not sworn LE, but have several responsibilties and authority under law via City Ordinances or City Code. They are civilians. Because the city gives them specific authority in their own laws, you are still required to obey a lawful order. In my experience, these types of rangers work a fine line....Phoenix AZ park rangers are not sworn LE however they drive marked patrol vehicles with reds/blues and I believe they are armed (correct me if they ARE LE, I don't think they are). The city of Peoria AZ, next to phoenix, is not armed, but has authority in parks and neighboring areas to protect people and property, enforce minor traffic, issue written civil and misdemeanor citations to city/justice courts, submit charges, can trespass and issue orders to leave, and detain for arrest for violations. The city of Glendale, AZ park rangers also issues citations and patrols parks. City of Tempe, AZ park rangers work within the police dept under supervision of a sworn LE patrol sergeant.

So it really all depends...and I know I rambled. The thing is that city property, parks, etc are city owned. They have established rules/regulations as well as city code. Even if the park rangers are civilians (and are allowed under their employers policy) they can lawfully detain (excersizing their right to a citizens arrest). So really its not even a matter if a ranger is sworn or civilian...someone is violating a law and are detained or cited by a citizen (in this case a citizen employed by the city government, acting as a government official), its legal.

Leave a comment:

• FearTheCats
    replied
    Here is one source.

http://www.rangerfop.com/members/press/aug2602.htm

Here is another.

http://www.rangerfop.com/Members/press/aug1202.htm

You have to remember that these individuals are patrolling areas where people are using high powered rifles and other types of firearms. These studies only recognize that they are the most assaulted federal officers. However, I have conducted several studies for my masters program outlining the different assault rates on law enforcement officers. When comparing assault rates per 500 in North Carolina, NC Wildlife Officers are 6 times more likely to be assaulted during a shift than an officer with Charlotte Meck.
    Last edited by FearTheCats; 11-17-2005, 07:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RECOIL4015
    replied
    Our Game Warden Had Me Come Out Last Fall Because He Had The Robo Deer Shot From A Truck And The Guy Was Dus. I Had To Write The Dus.

Leave a comment:

• Camo Cop
    replied
    Originally posted by FearTheCats
    Park rangers and wildlife enforcement officers are the most frequently assaulted out of all types of LEO's.
    Do you have a source for that?

Leave a comment:

• FearTheCats
    replied
    Park rangers and wildlife enforcement officers are the most frequently assaulted out of all types of LEO's.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Eating Gol
    replied
    I'm a Park Ranger for a county park district in NE Ohio. We are police officers. We have the same authority as any LEO in Ohio. We are limited in our juristiction. Our jurisdiction does extend off park property to adjacent properties. Also there is case law that we may take police action off property in incidents that may cause serious public harm, DUI, Robbery while we're in the store, ect. We also run traffic enforcement on our park roadways. We have two radar units. One is attached to the truck that works the park with our main roadway, the other is a handheld unit.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5014 users online. 294 members and 4720 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X