300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth Traffic stop

I'm a new driver and I suspect that sometime or another I will get pulled over. If this is the case I was probably doing something wrong. What is the best way to deal with a traffic stop from my perspective? Drivers Ed didn

First off if and when you get stopped just relax don't act nervous or suspicious. Second tell the officer your registration is in your glove box and then reach for it, do the same if you license (tell the officer where it is then reach for it.) Third don't carry weapons in your glove box!!

Comment

Question: Sir, may I see your Drivers License, Registration and proof of insurance.

Your Answer: Yes, My Drivers License is in my wallet in my back pocket, my registration and insurance is in my glove compartment. (as you are reaching for them)

Keep your hands on the steering wheel so the officer can see them when he is approaching the car.. Turn off your motor and radio.

Always roll down your window, if you have power windows and one officer is approaching from each side, roll them both down.

Just be honest, and polite and you will be just fine. We love HONEST people and will even (sometimes) let you go if you are honest. Ignorance and lies get you a ticket everytime.

Cops are people too !!!! just remember that we put our pants on one leg at a time just like you do.

Comment

Yup good advice.

Some more good advice from chris rock, on how not to get your *** kicked by the police at traffic stops.

1. Be polite, keep your hands on the steering wheel.

2. Don't drive with crazy friends.

3. Make sure you know who your friends are and make sure they aren't carring anything illegal.

4. Leave angry wives/girlfriends at home.

5. Turn your radio down.

6. If the police have to come get you, they are bringing an *** kicking with them.

I love that video clip.
        Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

As for what to do when the officer approaches, follow the above mentioned advice.

Lets talk about getting you over to the sideof the road. When a cop activates his/her lights (lights you up) DO NOT, let me say that again...... DO NOT slam on the brake and make a mad dash for the shoulder. If your on the freeway, simply put your right signal on and GRADUALLY reduce speed as you make your way to the RIGHT shoulder. Don't take 5 miles to get over cause that make us "jumpy", but 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile is not a problem depending what lane you were in.

DO NOT stop in the lane or on the left shoulder.
          DO NOT stop on that little piece of asphalt that only sticks out 3 feet from the wall/rail, as the rest of your car is still in the lane. Just drive up a little bit and I'm sure ther will be a wide spot soon.
          DO NOT jump out of your car.

If you are on city/surface streets, same thing get to the right shoulder gradually. If you can pull into a large lot, go for it, especially if the road is a busy one.

THAT ALL SAID: Most important: LISTEN TO THE OFFICERS INSTRUCTIONS IF HE IS GIVING YOU INSTRCUTIONS OVER THE LOUD SPEAKER. (turn your radio down)

Hope to see ya out there sometime

Comment

Originally posted by CarCop
            As for what to do when the officer approaches, follow the above mentioned advice.

Lets talk about getting you over to the sideof the road. When a cop activates his/her lights (lights you up) DO NOT, let me say that again...... DO NOT slam on the brake and make a mad dash for the shoulder. If your on the freeway, simply put your right signal on and GRADUALLY reduce speed as you make your way to the RIGHT shoulder. Don't take 5 miles to get over cause that make us "jumpy", but 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile is not a problem depending what lane you were in.

DO NOT stop in the lane or on the left shoulder.
            DO NOT stop on that little piece of asphalt that only sticks out 3 feet from the wall/rail, as the rest of your car is still in the lane. Just drive up a little bit and I'm sure ther will be a wide spot soon.
            DO NOT jump out of your car.

If you are on city/surface streets, same thing get to the right shoulder gradually. If you can pull into a large lot, go for it, especially if the road is a busy one.

THAT ALL SAID: Most important: LISTEN TO THE OFFICERS INSTRUCTIONS IF HE IS GIVING YOU INSTRCUTIONS OVER THE LOUD SPEAKER. (turn your radio down)

Hope to see ya out there sometime
            Good advise!!

Comment

Originally posted by backinblue
              Good advise!!
              I agree, so glad that you could add so much

Comment

DON'T forget about the Airsoft Uzi laying in the front seat!!!

That happened to some friends once- they got to meet about half the night shift of IPD!

-Sarge
                "He's not a known offender Captain... he's not even a known species..!"

Comment

Traffic stop

This is not the end of the world, pull over at the next best place to put you and your new buddy out of harm`s way. We are not in a hurry. Most of us just have a shift to do.
                  Cops get pulled over too.
                  Hands on the wheel or in sight are nice.
                  There is a diffference of opinion about legal weapons. I have a badge, so it does not come up. They assume that I`m packing. If you have a full gun rack and a pistol, that`s OK. Just don`t reach for them.
                  I can, and have been, chewed out in my younger days, and rightly so. I did it. Even for us, how you treat the cop is how you will be treated. And they can notify your supervisor, which is worse than a cite.
                  If tou really tick the cop off, a written letter can be expected. This goes into your jacket forever. Not getting a cite because you have a badge can be a very bad deal.
                  I am now the CEO, so I would have to disicipline myself.
                  If you have a CCW; I would not bring it up. The officer has no idea that you are a piller of your community.
                  Cops are not that fond of citing you. If you just made a mistake and are nice about it, a verbal or written warning may suffice.
                  Court is the place to argue, not the street.
                  I only speak for my jurisdiction.
                  We do not always see things right from our angle. You may not have committed the violation.
                  Gee, officer, the gal waved me in. You saw break lights but I did not make an unsafe entry into traffic.
                  If you have your stuff wrapped tight, that should end it. But few non cops have the presence of mind to figure all this out when a guy with a gun is looming over them.
                  So, obey any order and talk to the ADA later when you have it figured out.
                  They will cut you some deal just to go away.
                  We both want to come out of this in one piece.
                  Don`t make me shoot you. I would really appreciate that. And is it worth it?
                  That is my best advice.
                  Last edited by marshaldan; 09-06-2005, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobSlig
                    Question: Sir, may I see your Drivers License, Registration and proof of insurance.

Your Answer: Yes, My Drivers License is in my wallet in my back pocket, my registration and insurance is in my glove compartment. (as you are reaching for them)

Keep your hands on the steering wheel so the officer can see them when he is approaching the car.. Turn off your motor and radio.

Always roll down your window, if you have power windows and one officer is approaching from each side, roll them both down.

Just be honest, and polite and you will be just fine. We love HONEST people and will even (sometimes) let you go if you are honest. Ignorance and lies get you a ticket everytime.

Cops are people too !!!! just remember that we put our pants on one leg at a time just like you do.
                    Perfect...one more thing...if it is nightime, turn on your interior dome light. Remember, we don't like surprises....if I can see inside your car as I'm approaching I'm a much happier cop.

Comment

Originally posted by WSPD916
                      Perfect...one more thing...if it is nightime, turn on your interior dome light. Remember, we don't like surprises....if I can see inside your car as I'm approaching I'm a much happier cop.

See, I have always thought this, but my car you have to actually pop the door to turn on the dome light, and in my truck it just didn't come equipped with a dome light. Do I just ask the officer to shine a light inside?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3366 users online. 205 members and 3161 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X