Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going with the flow of traffic

I have two questions here for you all.

Lets say the speed limit is 55 on a two line highway. I decide to pass a car that is going 55. So with the cruise set at 59-60 mph, I see an opening where I can pass legally. So I make the pass (sometimes with the cruise on, sometimes without. Depends on the situation.) But when I am passing the car, I will kick my speed up 5 to 10 mph over just to make a safe pass. (Only time I go 10 over is if I see there is a small hill or another car coming but still at a good distance away.)

Also on the interstate when I am passing someone. I see someone in my rear view mirror I will speed up to finish the pass, and set the cruise at 5+ mph over the limit. I only do this when they are driving faster then me. Nothing worse then getting behind a car that takes forever to pass a vehicle, and you have to turn the cruise off.

Would you guys ticket me for speeding up while passing. When I finish the pass I go back to the speed I was traveling.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on how much over the limit you were going while passing. If you were 10-15 over, then yes, I would and I have.

Here in Michigan, you may not exceed the speed limit while passing.

Comment

Same in Ohio, you are not allowed to "speed" to overtake or pass another vehicle.

Lots of people are killed or seriously injured every year attempting to pass or overtake another vehicle. Also, there are usually rules that govern what you have to do if you plan on passing a vehicle on a 2 lane road. (usually honk your horn and flash your bright lights)

Hope this helps ya!!
      ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
        Would you guys ticket me for speeding up while passing. When I finish the pass I go back to the speed I was traveling.

Thanks in advance.
        I wouldn't. Don't listen to these yahoos- drive as fast as you want. If an officer attempts to give you ticket, tell him I said shove it.
        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
          I wouldn't. Don't listen to these yahoos- drive as fast as you want. If an officer attempts to give you ticket, tell him I said shove it.

Sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterlee
            Same in Ohio, you are not allowed to "speed" to overtake or pass another vehicle.

Lots of people are killed or seriously injured every year attempting to pass or overtake another vehicle. Also, there are usually rules that govern what you have to do if you plan on passing a vehicle on a 2 lane road. (usually honk your horn and flash your bright lights)

Hope this helps ya!!

I have never herad of honking your horn and flashing your bright lights if you wanna pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan Vehicle Code
              257.636 Overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in same direction

(b) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.
              Kind of obscure, however, a passing vehicle must provide an audible signal while passing another vehicle.

Comment

Your scenario is not this extreme, but I have ticketed loads of people who believed that, as long as they were passing someone, the speed limit did not apply. I
                Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

i agree this situation isnt that bad, but was said earlier, if you have to kick it up to 70 or faster *in a 55* just to pass, then you shoudl not have passed to begin with. i have seen a few kick it up to around 90 or more, there is no point in that,
                  okla also has the law to emit an audible signal, however, i never even thought about enforcing it. thats kind of like the law that says you cant spit on the sidewalk,

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                    i agree this situation isnt that bad, but was said earlier, if you have to kick it up to 70 or faster *in a 55* just to pass, then you shoudl not have passed to begin with. i have seen a few kick it up to around 90 or more, there is no point in that,
                    okla also has the law to emit an audible signal, however, i never even thought about enforcing it. thats kind of like the law that says you cant spit on the sidewalk,

I never kick it up faster then 70 unless its a serious situation which hasn't happened yet. THANK GOD.

As far as the audible signal, people here would either think something is going on example: Driver A is ****ed at Driver B due to the matter of fact he is driving to slow.

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
                      I never kick it up faster then 70 unless its a serious situation which hasn't happened yet. THANK GOD.

As far as the audible signal, people here would either think something is going on example: Driver A is ****ed at Driver B due to the matter of fact he is driving to slow.
                      on very few occasions did i even pull someone over who was passing, unless excessive speed, i agree with the ****ed off part, personally i think its stupid law, but that s just me,
                      oh, i forgot the second part of your question. also, just me personally, but if im overtaking a car on a multi lane road, and someone comes up on my ***, screw em, they shouldnt be driving so dang fast, but thats just me, if i am doing the speed limit and in the left lane overtaking, then i have every right in the world to be there, they need to slow the heck down and save some money on speeding tickets and gas,

Comment

First off no one should be speeding but i have to disagree with one of ur statements gotthblues
                        if i am doing the speed limit and in the left lane overtaking, then i have every right in the world to be there, they need to slow the heck down and save some money on speeding tickets and gas,
                        Yes you have every right to be there but lets say that person in the car has a child or a relative with them whos having an asthma attack or enduring a sudden attack of some ailment and they are trying to get to the hospital. 99 times outta 100 the persons just being an ******* but would you like to be the reason for a childs death just because you want to to blockade the driver to prove a point? (O and im very sorry if i mistook what you said but ahts the understand i grabbed from it.)

Comment

Originally posted by sXenoG
                          First off no one should be speeding but i have to disagree with one of ur statements gotthblues

Yes you have every right to be there but lets say that person in the car has a child or a relative with them whos having an asthma attack or enduring a sudden attack of some ailment and they are trying to get to the hospital. 99 times outta 100 the persons just being an ******* but would you like to be the reason for a childs death just because you want to to blockade the driver to prove a point? (O and im very sorry if i mistook what you said but ahts the understand i grabbed from it.)
                          i see your point, but do you want the law enforcement answer, if its an emergency, call the ambulance, that s why they are there. what would i do, well, doesnt matter, besides, id be more apt to say that 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of them are being butt heads, and how can i know the difference,
                          but no, i wasnt talking about blocking them just to be a butt, but if someone comes smokin up on my butt, and im doing the speed limit, overtaking a slower car, no im not going to gas it and get out of their way,
                          point two, you can what if every freggin thing out there until youre dead,

Comment

Yea alot of people say you shouldn't say what if, yet another day theyll say its better safe then sorry and thats exactly what what if questions are. To keep yourself in a safe position. And considering you're a security consultant I could and would only assume youd be always consdering safety first. And even tho I made that statement trust me I dont really abide by my words either. Its just a point my mom made to me once and something that I would consider if i were in the fast lane. And my dad has taught me to pull to the right if there is someone comming up behind you who would liek to pass. Its the polite theing the do as long as you're not going to break the law while doing it. (which by what you say you're just not gonna speed yourself up to pass someone in front of you so the inconsiderate person can continue to drive irratically.)

Comment

Originally posted by sXenoG
                              Yea alot of people say you shouldn't say what if, yet another day theyll say its better safe then sorry and thats exactly what what if questions are. To keep yourself in a safe position. And considering you're a security consultant I could and would only assume youd be always consdering safety first. And even tho I made that statement trust me I dont really abide by my words either. Its just a point my mom made to me once and something that I would consider if i were in the fast lane. And my dad has taught me to pull to the right if there is someone comming up behind you who would liek to pass. Its the polite theing the do as long as you're not going to break the law while doing it. (which by what you say you're just not gonna speed yourself up to pass someone in front of you so the inconsiderate person can continue to drive irratically.)
                              what,,, if you cant pull to the right because you are overtaking a car, then no, i m not going to put myself out , waste fuel, possibly receive a citation *cause WHAT IF a patrol car was ahead of you running radar*, or for any other reason,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3706 users online. 284 members and 3422 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X