300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vehicle abandonment??

Got a letter today from petes towing saying they have my k5 blazer (witch i traded in to a dealer over 5 years ago) and I need to come pay $925 in storage fees and pic it up and that my DL will be suspended for vehicle abandonment.... How can this be?
    Where are you, you S,O,B.!!

Originally posted by T. Justice
    Got a letter today from petes towing saying they have my k5 blazer (witch i traded in to a dealer over 5 years ago) and I need to come pay $925 in storage fees and pic it up and that my DL will be suspended for vehicle abandonment.... How can this be?
    that is classified information. *sorry*

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
      that is classified information. *sorry*
      If you dont know its ok

Comment

Originally posted by T. Justice
        If you dont know its ok
        actually i was poking fun at your profile, and actually i dont know, i never heard of that, here it would be a civil matter, and i would think all you have to do is get a receipt from tax commision for when the vehicle was taken out of your name. or some type of paper work.
        here if you dont claim your car after i believe 30 days, the wrecker co. files papers with the tax commis. then a few weeks later they can sell the car to regain their loses. but thats here.

Comment

if it was not taken out of your name and someone else who owns it now may even have been the dealership left it parked somewhere , for too long it will be towed by the local police and towed to their tow lot , they then notify the registered owner (must still be you) and let them know they have it , take your paper work to the tow agency and show them it was sold and notify DMV again that you are not the owner

one of my previous jobs was an impound cadet , all i did was tow cars !!!

good luck

Comment

thanks alot guys...but I dont have any type of paper what so ever on that vehicle... If I just let it go can anyone really hold me on anything? After all Its not really my responsibility anymore right?

Comment

I have seen this happen a few times before. In Md the last known registered owner is responsible for the vehicle upon abandonment. The tow company cannot suspend your license but the officers who towed the car can write citaions to you for abandonment if it occured on public property. If the vehicle was abandoned on private property Law Enforcement doesn't even handle it someone has to petition some other branch of government (not sure which one). The tow costs and storage is a civil matter between you and the tow company.

Do you have the adress and name of the dealership or a bill of sale? If so the dealership should have a record of the trade. I would contact your states version of the Motor Vehicle Administration and explain to them what happened and with some proof they should be able to take the vehicle out of your name. The next thing to do is find out who towed the car and qualified it as abandoned. If it was the police department they should have some sort of abandoned auto squad if you contact them and explain everything should be fine, again having some sort of proof you traded the blazer to a dealer. like I said before this is only in Md. Hope this helps

Comment

Yup, if you didn't notify DMV of the ownership change, you may be screwed. Unless the dealer will fess up to it. Also, since you traded it in, you should have paperwork stating same... so forward that to the appropriate persons/govt entity and see what happens.
                What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

I had a very similar thing happen to me. I sold a car to a woman for $750. It was a pile of junk, anyways, about 3 months later I get a letter in the mail from the Michigan State Police saying that my car was found abandoned in northern Michigan. The letter from MSP said that I could pay something like $500 for the storage fees, or if I didn't respond, the vehicle would be auctioned off.

Fortunantly, my father is an attorney and always made me complete a bill of sale whenever I bought/sold a vehicle. I just mailed a copy of the bill of sale to MSP and never heard from them again.

I had taken the plate off the car when I sold it, however, until the new owner gets it registered the VIN still came back to me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2982 users online. 141 members and 2841 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X