Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do police radar detectors work in rural areas?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeaconSteve
    replied
    I had a guy adamantly argue that I didn't clock him on my RADAR because his detector didn't go off. Bwahahahahahaha! Tell that to the judge sir!

Leave a comment:

• VA Dutch
    replied

A radar detector MIGHT help you out once in a blue moon - especially if it detects a radar signal from an officer up ahead of you while he is using it on approaching drivers. However, it will also give you a false sense of security and will not be effective against "instant on" radar.

Best advice: Obey the speed limit, or at least stay fairly close to it. If you still like to speed a lot on the open highway, consider a good CB radio.

When I was a deputy sheriff many moons ago, we had the very old (even back then) Kustom Signals radar guns. The "instant on" button (where you could put it on 'hold' and then release it to get a reading) enabled us to wait until you got very close before confirming your speed.

Some of the newer radar units (let alone the lidar/laser guns) provide for same-direction use, have a dual-direction antenna and even a "faster vehicle" speed display - things unheard of back in the day.

P.S. The whole speed enforcement thing is a game - and if you fight the law, the law will win (sounds like a song, eh?).
    Last edited by VA Dutch; 06-06-2016, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chiefjack
    replied
    Radar detectors will detect radar very well in rural areas, IF there is an officer working radar enforcement in the area of the detector.

Here's the big BUT...As has already be 'splained numerous times, by the time your detector sounds, you are already TOAST!!!

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Yes. They work. Sometime. But not really. But then again, sometimes...

Leave a comment:

• delzo70
    replied
    I seem to remember being asked by a few drivers "for a warning" to which I answered that their warning came the last fifteen times their detector beeped.

I never gave anyone with a detector a warning because it is a fact that they normally drive hammer down unless it is chirping..... and if they can spend $300 in an attempt to defeat my efforts, they shouldn't complain about part of their paycheck helping to pave roads and buy new fire trucks.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy8116
    replied
    Yes, they work in getting you a citation. We are able to get your speed before your radar detector alerts you.

Don't waste your money. You will need it to pay your fine.

Leave a comment:

• AppState
    replied
    Radar detector?

You mean a "I don't deserve a warning" device?

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by delzo70 View Post
    I suppose you understand that a RADAR unit has an instant on feature. There is no radio frequency for your detector to beep about until the operator hits the transmit button. Because part of the certification is visual estimation of a vehicle's speed, the button is only pushed when a valid target has caught his/her attention. If you are following that vehicle, your detector will sound and you can slam on your brakes if it makes you feel good..... but the officer will be busy for the next 15 minutes writing a ticket to the guy ahead of you.

Just remember..... if YOU are the target, the only thing your detector will do is let you know exactly when you got caught. The only exception to this I can think of is when the transmit button accidentally gets pushed to the on position while the officer is inside somewhere having lunch.
    Yea right............................................. .....

I remember once that I MIGHT have left the radar unit in transmit mode when eating lunch----as my squad MIGHT have been sitting right next to a car with a radar detector BEEPING IT's FREAKING BUZZER OFF.

Funny thing was when I came outside after chow , both cars were sitting in the same place.............but the detector wasn't beeping anymore

Leave a comment:

• delzo70
    replied
    Originally posted by delta-114 View Post
    Hi,

I'm sure I will receive many different responses, but my question is simple..

Do police radar detectors work?

If they do, to what extent?

*if they don't, I'd like an explanation please*
    I suppose you understand that a RADAR unit has an instant on feature. There is no radio frequency for your detector to beep about until the operator hits the transmit button. Because part of the certification is visual estimation of a vehicle's speed, the button is only pushed when a valid target has caught his/her attention. If you are following that vehicle, your detector will sound and you can slam on your brakes if it makes you feel good..... but the officer will be busy for the next 15 minutes writing a ticket to the guy ahead of you.

Just remember..... if YOU are the target, the only thing your detector will do is let you know exactly when you got caught. The only exception to this I can think of is when the transmit button accidentally gets pushed to the on position while the officer is inside somewhere having lunch.

Leave a comment:

• Zeitgeist
    replied
    I find they work best for the companies that make them and persuade people to buy them. Don't waste your money.
    They are not worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Mulgrave600
    replied
    Prolaser 4 beats radar detector every time.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Originally posted by jdthor View Post
    I even got a pretty little card i carry with me that says im good enough estimating your speed just by looking at you first.
    That's a pretty good Bar line...

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by jdthor View Post
    I even got a pretty little card i carry with me that says im good enough estimating your speed just by looking at you first.
    I'll bet I have one also in my storage box

Leave a comment:

• jdthor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by delta-114 View Post
    I didn't expect anything less from a forum full of cops, this was the post I was looking for out of the bunch. Thank you.
    The truth is that, as others have said, we usually estimate your speed visually BEFORE we turn on the radar. So, the detector won't help much.

It MIGHT detect me lighting someone else up so you can slow down... but that's the point anyway, for you to slow down.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4485 users online. 257 members and 4228 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X