Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do police radar detectors work in rural areas?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by delta-114 View Post
    Hi,

I'm sure I will receive many different responses, but my question is simple..

Do police radar detectors work?

If they do, to what extent?

*if they don't, I'd like an explanation please*
    They don't work unless you hold it out the window and then beep your horn while driving past the radar trap while giving the cop the finger.

The only problem is you need 3 arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jo5679 View Post

The only problem is you need 3 arms.

Some of us can do that ................with our "third arm"
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        I'll be nice: police don't have radar detectors. We have radar.
        An important distinction.

Comment

OK, you probably won't like this, but I can tell you several stories about radar detectors from an Officer's perspective. I did mucho, as in beaucoup, traffic enforcement. I especially loved stopping vehicles equipped with radar detectors. The anger, the frustration, the total disgust, displayed on so many of their driver's faces was absolutely priceless.

Oh yes, I even had a few destroy their detector in my presence. That was always a hoot, and a moment to be savored. So, prior to making an investment in a radar detector, you might consider this.

Often times, when stopping a violator, I had the intention of only issuing a written warning for the violation. When I saw a radar detector, that written warning morphed into a full blown, appearance, plea and waiver, traffic citation. You know, the kind which cost money, and put points on your Motor Vehicle History.

You might wish to ascertain whether or not a radar detector is even legal in your state. You should also consider that what you're participating in is really an electronic "game". Today, the ACME Radar Detector Company may offer the absolute latest, whizz-bang, high tech radar detector on the planet.

Tomorrow, it will be obsolete, and countered by the most technically advanced, tripple terrific, go to blazes, super accurate radar ever developed up to that point.

So here's a very low tech, but common sense solution to your problem, and answer to your question. Drive the friggen speed limit. Do that regardless of the area you're in. Thousands upon thousands of motorists have been employing this strategy for years, and with great success. Try it, and Happy Motoring!!

Comment

I didn't expect anything less from a forum full of cops, this was the post I was looking for out of the bunch. Thank you.
            Disappointed? Oh crap!! Rather begs the question of why you came here in the first ten places . Never fear though, entertaining questions have always been fun. We enjoy them. Thanks for playing.

Comment

Originally posted by rocco61 View Post
              figures all you got was sarcasm, not to spoil their fun but....

you will find a good explanation here .

http://www.k40.com/radar-101-how-police-radar-works

Comment

I didn't expect anything less from a forum full of cops, this was the post I was looking for out of the bunch. Thank you.

Comment

If you're talking about an RDD. yes they work anywhere. It will tell me if you have a radar detector in your car. However it is just one tool of many that lets me know. Also they're illegal here. So you'll get a speeding ticket and an illegal radar detector ticket.
                  Just try driving the speed limit?

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
                    Oddly enough, I don't need a radar to get your speed. Visual estimation is a thing. Radar is used to confirm visual estimations.
                    In CA anyway, you are legally mandated to get a visual estimation....the radar/lidar is only used to confirm that estimation....you also have to go a 40 hour class in order to use them...part of the class is (wait for it) visual estimation....
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by FTRthnU View Post
                      If you're talking about an RDD. yes they work anywhere. It will tell me if you have a radar detector in your car. However it is just one tool of many that lets me know. Also they're illegal here. So you'll get a speeding ticket and an illegal radar detector ticket.
                      Just try driving the speed limit?
                      But are there radar detector detector detectors?.... :O
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                        In CA anyway, you are legally mandated to get a visual estimation....the radar/lidar is only used to confirm that estimation....you also have to go a 40 hour class in order to use them...part of the class is (wait for it) visual estimation....
                        I had been away from driving a squad for a long time..........like nearly 30 yrs.

I took a squad on a long transport-------flipped on the radar and played around. It took me about 1/2 an hour and I was back to estimating the speed within a couple MPH .
                        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-30-2016, 05:19 PM.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

The truth is that, as others have said, we usually estimate your speed visually BEFORE we turn on the radar. So, the detector won't help much.

It MIGHT detect me lighting someone else up so you can slow down... but that's the point anyway, for you to slow down.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I even got a pretty little card i carry with me that says im good enough estimating your speed just by looking at you first.

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                              I even got a pretty little card i carry with me that says im good enough estimating your speed just by looking at you first.
                              I'll bet I have one also in my storage box

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                                That's a pretty good Bar line...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5023 users online. 308 members and 4715 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X