300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entrapment or not?

There is a discussion on a local Facebook group for motorcyclists about wether the story in the link is entrapment or not. Putting aside the fact that the website is anti cop, my question is: is it entrapment or not?

A quick google search reveals that "entrapment is a practice whereby a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit" In my opinion the emphasis is on the "criminal offense" and the "person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit" parts. Rarely see a sport bike or a dual sport NOT lane splitting in traffic as opposed to a Gold Wing or a Harley.

http://filmingcops.com/cops-intentio...youtube-video/

Originally posted by jtdbsr View Post
    A quick google search reveals that "entrapment is a practice whereby a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit" /
    We are quite aware of what constitutes entrapment.

Personally I would disregard anything in that article as being hogwash
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'll go with Iowa on this.
      Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
      In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
      Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
      Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

In this case "entrapment" means "I got caught."

Comment

No, it's not entrapment.

The same people that think this is entrapment also think its entrapment if I catch you driving drunk at a compliance checkpoint.

Comment

Do YOU wish to believe there was entrapment? If so, knock yourself out. No one here is going to care one way or the other.

Comment

One post proll...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I read this site often without posting simply because I'm not qualified to comment on most subjects discussed. My intent was to see if I interpreted the definition of entrapment correctly or not. Got my answer and thank you!

Comment

Entrapment or not?
                  not

Comment

my question is: is it entrapment or not?

A quick google search reveals that "entrapment is a practice whereby a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit"
                    As you found out, entrapment is a specific legal term which refers to someone who was induced to commit a crime that he or she would not have otherwise been likely to commit. For example, it would be entrapment if the police were to promise to give a broke drug addict a million dollars if he will take some heroin which they give him, then they arrest him for doing just that.

This term happens to confuse a lot of people because it has the word "trap" in it. Being caught in a police "trap" (like a "speed trap" or some other police activity designed to "catch" people breaking the law) does not mean you were "entrapped." It's legal to catch law breakers in a trap. It's not legal to entrap them. They are entirely different concepts.

To comment on the video, all it shows is a couple of motorcyclists stopped on the shoulder and officers waving bikes over to the shoulder in heavy stopped traffic. I find it hard to believe that the NYPD just decided to set up a road block one day and see if any random motorcyclists would choose to lane split. More than likely they were targeting specific bikers that were weaving in and out of traffic and were generating complaints/911 calls or were observed by officers.
                    "Screw that. We can make bullets faster than they can make terrorists. Kill them all. Every last one." -Interceptor

Comment

For it to be entrapment the cops would have had to induce the motorcyclists to break the law... forced or convinced them to lane split, speed or whatever.

How would YOU see that happening?
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

NO its not entrapment

Comment

Same folks who think running radar is entrapment....
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Some folks think this forum is entrapment...
                            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

My guess is they stopped traffic for an unrelated, legitimate reason (prob an accident), and ticketed the cyclists who drove between lanes to get to the front in order to get a head start out of the traffic mess once the incident cleared up.
                              John 3:16

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16951 users online. 475 members and 16476 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X