300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing situation

Was driving today and I had a thought. A vehicle is on a two-lane road with broken yellow lines and starts to pass another vehicle, after it is fully established in the other lane and while completing its pass, if the lines subsequently become double yellow, would you as an officer feel justified in stopping this vehicle? It still has to get back into the normal travel lane after all. Our state law simply reads as such and based on my interpretation it would be illegal under the letter of the law, but then again how are you to know every single inch of road and know that a solid line is coming up where you previously had broken lines and have been waiting forever to get around the string of dump trucks, heh:

SECTION 56-5-1890. No-passing zones.

(a) The Department of Transportation and local authorities may determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving on the left of the roadway would be especially hazardous and may by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones and when such signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions thereof.

(b) Where signs or markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (a) no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within such or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark such no-passing zone throughout its length.

(c) This section shall not apply under the conditions described in item 2, subsection (a) of Section 56-5-1810 nor to the driver of a vehicle turning left into or from an alley, private road or driveway.
    The mentioned item 2 refers to obstructions in the road necessitating driving left of center.
    SCFC Dispatch Manager

If you start to pass another vehicle from a legal location, you must have sufficient room/distance to complete the pass in a legal manner.

Read this
    "(b) Where signs or markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (a) no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within such or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark such no-passing zone throughout its length. "
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Technically yes you can stop it... but would you? Probably not.. unless i was looking at him as a reckless driver or wanted to stop him for something and needed a reason
      sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

The driver needs to complete the pass within the broken yellow line. I would feel justified because I am justified. Would I? That's another question.

Comment

In PA you may pass at a double yellow so long as certain criteria are met (signage that prohibits passing, not close to intersection, driveway or crest of hill), although it is highly advisable not to.

Comment

Here's a portion of IL's statute concerning your question:
            11-707(c) ...The pavement striping designed to mark the no-passing zone may be crossed from the left hand lane for the purpose of completing a pass that was begun prior to the beginning of the zone in the driver's direction of travel.
            183 FBINA

Comment

Ya'll have roads where the lines are actually visible???

*jealous*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3454 users online. 166 members and 3288 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X