300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should one do in this situation?

I have just moved and was on my way to work a few mornings ago when I accidentally ran a stop sign. (yeah I know I broke the law, but I'm not arguing that I did it and I'll face up to the consequences) My only excuse is that the sign was partially hidden by a tree branch so it didn't register until I was already in the intersection (not an excuse) and because I wasn't familiar with the area I didn't know it was there. (Saw the city out trimming the tree this morning)
    My question arises from what happened after this. The intersection has some large hedges on each corner so it is not possible to see traffic sitting at the stop sign on the cross street. When I ran the sign there was a woman on a motorcycle sitting at the cross street. She followed me, on my bumper such that if I had needed to brake quickly I'm not sure she would have been able to avoid hitting me, honking, yelling and motioning for me to pull over. At the next intersection she pulled in front of me, and parked across the travel lane. At this point she approached the side of my vehicle and motioned for me to roll the window down. When I refused and attempted to go around her parked motorcycle she stood in the center of the road preventing me and two cars behind me from continuing down the road. She finally, after much yelling and arm waving, took down my license number. While she was writing a car exited the intersection going the opposite way and stopped to ask her if everything was alright. (my car is not well sound-proofed so I was able to hear the exchange clearly even with windows up and doors closed) She stated that I had "tried to run her down." Like I said I ran a stop sign but I certainly didn't do it with the intent of hitting anyone, especially someone I didn't know was there. At no point did this woman identify herself as a member of any law enforcement agency.
    My question is this: What if anything should I do or do differently in this situation? (beyond the obvious and snarky answer of not run the stop sign in the first place)
    Thanks!

As for not being able to see down the street because of the hedges, depending on the state you're in, Stop at the designated stopping point, then slowly pull forward to a point where you can see down the road, then proceed when safe. As for the motocycle tailgating you, let her pass if she really wants to. When she pulled her little stunt, back up, turn around, and go the opposite direction. Feel free to call 911 if you felt she was endangering your safety.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Well here's another "snarky" comment for ya there Clyde. YOU, don't get to dictate the manner in which this forum replies to you, individually or collectively. WE do that.

Now to your otherwise valid question. It is the responsibility of the entity which maintains the public road to ensure that regulatory and informational signage is readily and easily visible. Whenever you encounter a situation such as you've described, you should notify the entity which maintains the roadway and report the situation to them.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        Well here's another "snarky" comment for ya there Clyde. YOU, don't get to dictate the manner in which this forum replies to you, individually or collectively. WE do that.
        I'm sorry that you believe I was trying to dictate responses. All I meant was that I am aware that not running the stop sign in the first place would have avoided the whole situation.
        Thank you for the information on who is responsible for maintaining signage, I was unaware that it would be the city's responsibility to ensure the signs were visible. I will definitely contact the city and let them know that the sign is partially covered by a tree branch.

Comment

Originally posted by 3furkids View Post
          I'm sorry that you believe I was trying to dictate responses. All I meant was that I am aware that not running the stop sign in the first place would have avoided the whole situation.
          Thank you for the information on who is responsible for maintaining signage, I was unaware that it would be the city's responsibility to ensure the signs were visible. I will definitely contact the city and let them know that the sign is partially covered by a tree branch.

You were, your apology is accepted.

Comment

since you did "run" the stop sign, the woman on the motorcycle may have had the pucker factor, thinking she was about to die..(we on 2 wheels get that feeling sometimes when someone doesnt see us or traffic control devices)
            She was probably ****ed and wanted justice so she overreacted and followed you too closely then stopped in front of you impeding traffic.
            I would of called 911 or asked her to do so. she may sign a cite against me for the stopsign, (which I may beat if the city had not taken care of the trees obstructing it from view), however I would sign a cite against her for her actions as well.
            OR, Id just say sorry and leave
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

The sign maybe partially covered, but what about the part that was not covered, or the white limit line with the big white letters that say stop. As a motorcyclist I can understand where the rider is coming from but she handled the situation poorly. I think this is how road rage starts...

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                since you did "run" the stop sign, the woman on the motorcycle may have had the pucker factor, thinking she was about to die..(we on 2 wheels get that feeling sometimes when someone doesnt see us or traffic control devices)
                She was probably ****ed and wanted justice so she overreacted and followed you too closely then stopped in front of you impeding traffic.
                I would of called 911 or asked her to do so. she may sign a cite against me for the stopsign, (which I may beat if the city had not taken care of the trees obstructing it from view), however I would sign a cite against her for her actions as well.
                OR, Id just say sorry and leave
                I totally understand the pucker factor as I am a bicyclist and cars (an the occasional motorcycle) have passed me without leaving an appropriate distance, I was just a bit rattled as it would never have occurred to me to chase a vehicle for traffic violation.

Originally posted by 2wheeldep View Post
                The sign maybe partially covered, but what about the part that was not covered, or the white limit line with the big white letters that say stop. As a motorcyclist I can understand where the rider is coming from but she handled the situation poorly. I think this is how road rage starts...
                Yes, I should have seen the sign even partially covered. I believe this road must have been recently re-paved since the pavement looks quite fresh (a real rarity in Ohio) and there are no lines pained at the intersection, and no center lines either

Comment

Thank you Officers for your replies!

Comment

What she did qualifies as 'Aggressive Driving.' here. That is a 5 point violation and is much more serious than a simple moving violation. (Stop Sign). She sounds like a whack job, call 911 next time, or just drive around the psycho. Some people lose their minds when they get behind the wheel, 2 or 4.
                    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by 3furkids View Post
                      I have just moved and was on my way to work a few mornings ago when I accidentally ran a stop sign. (yeah I know I broke the law, but I'm not arguing that I did it and I'll face up to the consequences) My only excuse is that the sign was partially hidden by a tree branch so it didn't register until I was already in the intersection (not an excuse) and because I wasn't familiar with the area I didn't know it was there. (Saw the city out trimming the tree this morning)
                      My question arises from what happened after this. The intersection has some large hedges on each corner so it is not possible to see traffic sitting at the stop sign on the cross street. When I ran the sign there was a woman on a motorcycle sitting at the cross street. She followed me, on my bumper such that if I had needed to brake quickly I'm not sure she would have been able to avoid hitting me, honking, yelling and motioning for me to pull over. At the next intersection she pulled in front of me, and parked across the travel lane. At this point she approached the side of my vehicle and motioned for me to roll the window down. When I refused and attempted to go around her parked motorcycle she stood in the center of the road preventing me and two cars behind me from continuing down the road. She finally, after much yelling and arm waving, took down my license number. While she was writing a car exited the intersection going the opposite way and stopped to ask her if everything was alright. (my car is not well sound-proofed so I was able to hear the exchange clearly even with windows up and doors closed) She stated that I had "tried to run her down." Like I said I ran a stop sign but I certainly didn't do it with the intent of hitting anyone, especially someone I didn't know was there. At no point did this woman identify herself as a member of any law enforcement agency.
                      My question is this: What if anything should I do or do differently in this situation? (beyond the obvious and snarky answer of not run the stop sign in the first place)
                      Thanks!
                      1) I've had 'witnesses' to people like you making a driving violation commit far greater and dangerous violations to either stop the transgressor (you) or collect information on your vehicle to report. I LOVED giving those people citation as well and had more than a couple enjoyable days in court watching the judge determine between the two drivers who actually committed the worse violations....in other words I'd recommend you report the driving of the other and take it to court.

2) Regarding your ticket....its your responsibility to drive in a such a manner as to follow signage anywhere, regardless of weather, obstruction, time of day, etc etc.

Now, that being said, if the signage was excessively hidden by foliage so that it was not in accordance with your state's version of the MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) then you may have an affirmative defense i.e. take a look at Colorado's MTC section 603 (3)(4).
                      http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/

http://www.coloradodot.info/library/...l-traffic-code

(3) Whenever official traffic control devices are placed in position approximately conforming to the requirements of this Code, such devices shall be presumed to have been so placed by the official act or direction of lawful authority unless the contrary is established by competent evidence.

(4) Any official traffic control device placed pursuant to the provisions of this Code and purporting to conform to the lawful requirements pertaining to such devices shall be presumed to comply with the requirements of this Code unless the contrary is established by competent evidence.
                      There's some homework for you if you're really interested.....otherwise here is your short and non-snarky response.

Driver better and pay your ticket.
                      Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                      “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                      “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                      "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                      ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3750 users online. 218 members and 3532 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X