300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding Warning/Courtesy?

Last edited by titan05; 08-30-2014, 05:24 PM.

Sometimes, cops don't give courtesy to other cops. Also, how immediate was the family member? When you go over 80 mph, even in a 70, you're asking for a ticket.
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

There are officers who will write their own mothers and there are officers who could never write another LE (including family). Plates, stickers, tags and such are not a license to speed, you do so at your own risk. If you get written, know that you were in the wrong and take the ticket (if you are getting a ticket, you really shouldn't get a lecture as well).

Comment

By your own admission you were speeding. It really IS that simple. The officer does have discretion in these cases, and the Trooper in question exercised it. He wrote you.

As a matter of policy this forum does NOT, second guess, critique, analyze, or Monday Morning Quarterback the actions of other officers/agencies.

At this point, you have two choices.

1) Pay the citation.
        2) If you feel you were wrongfully, or inappropriately charged, then you have the option of pleading "Not Guilty" and requesting a trial date.

You will probably take offense at this reply, but I'm not really too concerned about that. We get these little "butt hurt" rants from time to time, yours being the most recent.

Comment

Its also unreasonable to expect a free pass just because you had/have a family member in law enforcement.

84 miles a hour in a rural area is pushing it when its dark let alone 14 miles over the limit at any time.Slow down.The life you save may be your own.

Comment

Comment

I don't see any "butt hurt" here at all........just someone asking a legitimate question. The answers provided were honest and straight to the point.

Truth is, some officers and agencies have a reputation (deserved or not) of "writing their own mothers" and others are known for being less strict. The law is the law and there is a lot of discretion & latitude given to each and every officer/deputy/trooper out there on the beat.

When I was a deputy many years ago, I was not a 'traffic hound' at all and recall letting a guy go with a warning for doing more than 15 mph over the limit (because he was contrite and the posted limit seemed to be posted way too low). Some other deputies would 'stroke you' for just 9 or 10 mph over, depending upon the particular situation.

This type of question is even more complicated than Ford vs Chevy or Nissan vs Toyota.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

How 'bout you stopped getting pulled over? The plates have saved you 50% of the time, so be happy. A ticket for 84 in a 70 is a reasonable outcome.

Comment

I have a couple questions for you:

How does having an "immediate family member" in law enforcement make you a better driver?
                  What did you do to deserve a special law enforcement type license plate?
                  Didn't the last time you got pulled over WARN you of anything? (Like the trooper WARNED you that if you were speeding again you'd probably get a ticket?)
                  Did you go to court and tell the judge you have an "immediate family member" in law enforcement and get the ticket dismissed?

I realize I'm a highway patrol officer, but I get really tired of all these BS excuses. Well, not tired but I've come to expect them. The poster hasn't done anything except be related to someone (possibly) that may be a person maybe involved in law enforcement.

And by the way, I give about 70% warnings of all the people I pull over. If you get a ticket from me, you really deserve it. And with other officers, I take appropriate action.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by titan05 View Post
                      Again, my question was simply based on warnings. I had talked with other officers in the past and they each told me different speeds that they will pull over, or give ticket etc. I was simply trying to hear what others do normally.

In both cases I never said asked not to get a ticket because of this or that. I simply answered the questions asked, and left it at that. My intentions here weren't to get anyone upset.
                      Sometimes this could be a tough crew because we get some posters who feel like they have an entitlement. I understood your question (I didn't sense any entitlement just the question) and can only simply tell you that where one officer tickets another warns. There are numerous threads on this board about professional courtesy, and the lack thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                        Its also unreasonable to expect a free pass just because you had/have a family member in law enforcement.

84 miles a hour in a rural area is pushing it when its dark let alone 14 miles over the limit at any time.Slow down.The life you save may be your own.
                        Pleeeze....stop already. Not for the unreasonable expectation, BUT 14 OVER! At Night rural setting. Must have been a really slow night, at the end of the month. 12-14 over is reasonable IMO, unless it's a targeted area, accidents, location special circumstance etc. just my 2 cents.
                        Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

I wouldn't say you should get a warning. You got a warning last time you were pulled over.
                          Last edited by Mulgrave600; 05-21-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

FWIW, I received a very respectful PM from the OP where he told me that the immediate family member was his father, and the police association plates were displayed in his memory.

Comment

I will chime in on the discussion.

The matter of courtesies being extended to LEO’s and their families has been discussed to great length. You are free to cull through the numerous posts and threads that have opinions as varied as the posters. That said, take a moment to reflect on this- you have plates that are likely emblazon with some form of logo that says “cop”; think about the fact that a citizen sees that tag, and you speeding, and all they can think is “look at that cop speeding along”. They don’t know you are a third cousin twice removed from the cop, they assume you ARE the cop.

And then let’s look at the position you are putting the officer who stops you in. Unfortunately there are some cops who will bemoan the fact that their (fill in the blank) got a ticket for (fill in the blank) and malign the writing officer/agency regardless of the actual circumstances of the offense.

While I have no issue with folks having LE affinity or similar plates- I do have issue with folks who do and drive like jerks. Same with stickers, medallions, etc .
                              Originally posted by SSD
                              It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                              Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                              And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3566 users online. 218 members and 3348 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X