300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop sign question

My question is for when the person in front of you stops then pulls foward getting ready to pull out when possible. If I am able to come to a complete stop at the stop line before the car in front of me goes, can I go immediately (assuming it is safe) or do I have to wait for what I assume is the amount of time it would take me to come to another complete stop before I go? A lot of the roads around me have the sidewalks further than normal away from the road, so there is plenty of room for a car to pull in front of the sign completely without being in traffic. I cannot see this being a safety issue if the roads are clear, but I am wondering what the actual law is.

The same question goes for a right turn on red.

Originally posted by Cirara View Post
    My question is for when the person in front of you stops then pulls foward getting ready to pull out when possible. If I am able to come to a complete stop at the stop line before the car in front of me goes, can I go immediately (assuming it is safe) or do I have to wait for what I assume is the amount of time it would take me to come to another complete stop before I go? A lot of the roads around me have the sidewalks further than normal away from the road, so there is plenty of room for a car to pull in front of the sign completely without being in traffic. I cannot see this being a safety issue if the roads are clear, but I am wondering what the actual law is.

The same question goes for a right turn on red.
    It's confusing as hell I know. At first when I came up to stop signs I would always go, go, go. But then I was like, "wait a gosh darn minute, this stop sign probably means to stop". So after a while when I came up to stop signs or red lights I began to stop, stop, stop not go, go, go.

Then it hit me like a 2 ton car. I had an idea that changed my life. There are stop signs and red lights to simply protect the people that are in the cars all over the road. I had always assumed the stop signs and red lights were there to make me stop just to **** me off and make me late. But by-golly, they're not. So now, instead of over thinking the sh** out of it, I simply stop at stop signs and stop at red lights so I can see other cars who are about to crash into me.

If you were following people on a sidewalk and they were crossing the street after THEY stopped to look both ways, would you bother to stop and look both ways too? Or just keep walking...

Comment

I understand that they are there for safety and if people used common sense they would not even really be necessary. However, I could use you argument to roll right through a stop sign for a road that I knew was empty. That does not mean that I could not get pulled over for running the stop sign, that just means that I would not get hit doing it. I was curious about this from a legal standpoint rather than a common sense standpoint. The two are not always the same.

Comment

I understand that they are there for safety and if people used common sense they would not even really be necessary. However, I could use you argument to roll right through a stop sign for a road that I knew was empty. That does not mean that I could not get pulled over for running the stop sign, that just means that I would not get hit doing it. I was curious about this from a legal standpoint rather than a common sense standpoint. The two are not always the same.
        Sorry, I thought I was clear. I'll try again.

STOP your god damn car at stop signs and red lights. Stop means STOP. Yield means yield. Green means go.

. Clear?

Comment

I went to traffic court once on a car which didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign. I stopped the vehicle and on a consent search found some drugs in the vehicle. The person went to court on the stop sign violation. During, I was asked about any on coming traffic and such. I testified that there was not any. I was then asked about whether I was coming down the road and had the right of way. I testified that I was parked and was observing vehicles exiting and entering the housing complex.

To my utter shock and amazement, the ticket was dismissed because there was no on coming traffic so the driver had the right of way. I was to stunned to say anything. I just packed up my notebook and jacket and walked out of the building telling myself I get paid the same whether I win or lose.

Comment

I'm going to keep this simple for ya Clyde. Each vehicle which approaches the stop sign is required to come to a full and complete stop. Stop is defined as a complete cessation of movement.

You do not pull out or away from the stop sign until it is safe for you to do so. Want to argue with that??

Comment

There is no argument about stopping at the stop sign. I guess my question was not clear enough. In both scenarios the car would be coming to a complete stop at the proper spot behind the stop sign. That is a given. The part I am curious about is after you have come to stop exactly where you normally stop.

For a “normal” stop sign, there is no question. They are on the corner and unless the car in front of you feels like hanging out in the way of possible oncoming traffic, there is no room for him to pull up. He is at the stop sign, or he is beyond the stop sign continuing on his way. In more suburban areas, however, the sidewalks force the stop signs further back and the corners are not 90 degrees, meaning that one car or possibly two very small cars could feasibly fit between the stop sign and where the lane begins (assuming that all cars are turning right).

Here is the scenario that I am curious about: Car in front of you stops then pulls out, not into traffic, but beyond the sign. Though he has pulled out, he has to wait for a small stream of cars to pass before he can go. Meanwhile, you pull up to the stop line and stop, waiting for him to leave. When the stream of cars pass and the car in front of you goes, do you:

1: Go directly after him. The road is completely clear now and you have already stopped for the stop sign or light.
              2: Pause for however long you assume it would take you to stop (for a second time) and then go, onto the still clear road.

The Virginia Driver’s Manual says “When approaching a stop sign and the car in front of you proceeds, stop at the sign and proceed when the way is clear.” From that, it sounds like my scenario 1 would be legal, but I am not sure if dumbing down the laws left out anything that would make it illegal, such as what their definition of “proceeds” is.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanE View Post
                I went to traffic court once on a car which didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign. I stopped the vehicle and on a consent search found some drugs in the vehicle. The person went to court on the stop sign violation. During, I was asked about any on coming traffic and such. I testified that there was not any. I was then asked about whether I was coming down the road and had the right of way. I testified that I was parked and was observing vehicles exiting and entering the housing complex.

To my utter shock and amazement, the ticket was dismissed because there was no on coming traffic so the driver had the right of way. I was to stunned to say anything. I just packed up my notebook and jacket and walked out of the building telling myself I get paid the same whether I win or lose.
                Rookie mistake....Never issue a citation for a traffic offense if you come across a higher charge during the course of your investigation because if you lose the PC for the stop, everything else goes out with it.
                Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

There is no argument about stopping at the stop sign. I guess my question was not clear enough. In both scenarios the car would be coming to a complete stop at the proper spot behind the stop sign. That is a given. The part I am curious about is after you have come to stop exactly where you normally stop.

For a “normal” stop sign, there is no question. They are on the corner and unless the car in front of you feels like hanging out in the way of possible oncoming traffic, there is no room for him to pull up. He is at the stop sign, or he is beyond the stop sign continuing on his way. In more suburban areas, however, the sidewalks force the stop signs further back and the corners are not 90 degrees, meaning that one car or possibly two very small cars could feasibly fit between the stop sign and where the lane begins (assuming that all cars are turning right).

Here is the scenario that I am curious about: Car in front of you stops then pulls out, not into traffic, but beyond the sign. Though he has pulled out, he has to wait for a small stream of cars to pass before he can go. Meanwhile, you pull up to the stop line and stop, waiting for him to leave. When the stream of cars pass and the car in front of you goes, do you:

1: Go directly after him. The road is completely clear now and you have already stopped for the stop sign or light.
                  2: Pause for however long you assume it would take you to stop (for a second time) and then go, onto the still clear road.

The Virginia Driver’s Manual says “When approaching a stop sign and the car in front of you proceeds, stop at the sign and proceed when the way is clear.” From that, it sounds like my scenario 1 would be legal, but I am not sure if dumbing down the laws left out anything that would make it illegal, such as what their definition of “proceeds” is.
                  Oh! Why didn't you say so??

In your scenerio, I would recommend that YOU, pull up to the stop sign. Put the car in park. Get out of the car. Open your trunk. Get in your trunk. Close the trunk. Slap yourself.

Your question has been answered. Look above. Read it again. Maybe the word "stop" is confusing you? It means to not go.

Comment

Uhh, Just read the replies you've received. Therein lies your answer. I personally don't intend to play "Twenty Questions" with you, or indulge in a bunch of "what ifs".

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                      Oh! Why didn't you say so??

In your scenerio, I would recommend that YOU, pull up to the stop sign. Put the car in park. Get out of the car. Open your trunk. Get in your trunk. Close the trunk. Slap yourself.

Your question has been answered. Look above. Read it again. Maybe the word "stop" is confusing you? It means to not go.

That's it. That word "STOP". It does seem to confuse a good many people, and our OP is the latest in that group.

Comment

I understand your question (I think)....You are required to remain stopped until the car in front of you clears the intersection or roadway....if you proceed through at the same time as the vehicle in front of you and for whatever reason that vehicle stops and you hit it you will be at fault.

Comment

I guess my question was not clear enough..
                          I guess the ANSWERS GIVEN were not clear enough.

YOU stop at the stop sign. YOU don't care what any other vehicle does but you.

STOP AT THE STOP SIGN

PS: The officer that observes you doing what you are asking about------or the officer investigating the traffic collision you might be involved in when you do what you area asking about------ will be the person who decides if you have broken the law
                          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-21-2014, 05:17 PM.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So if there are 5 cars all in a row and the front one is at the stop sign,and the others all come to a complete stop behind him,do you think they can go also ?

Comment

Simple.... Even if you stopped once at the sign when the other car stopped ahead of it, STOP again!
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                              that we are all that stands between
                              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4900 users online. 278 members and 4622 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X