Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thr_wedge
    replied
    Hey y'all, OP here, thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead. We took our family vacation last Christmas, 9 states, ~4000 miles. Our family truckster gets 15mpg going the speed limit (that was our round trip average), I can't afford the gas to drive any faster! Actually gas was very cheap, it was the perfect time to take a road trip. The weather held (though for being one of the snowiest and coldest winters on record, our week in Buffalo was in the 50s and 60s and involved zero snow!).

Zero issues, actually traffic flowed smoothly the entire time except a short stint in Arkansas where some much needed construction and road expansion was underway, even then it was only about a 45 minute delay (I think including driving around town, we logged over 80 hours of driving)...so I'll call that a win!

I would like to thank everyone for their feedback on my question, and for the help keeping traffic moving smoothly and safely. I saw my share of officers, deputies, troopers, etc. on the trip, and I really think the roads were safer because of it.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by Eodcop21 View Post
    IIf I see a, lets say Iowa, car without a front plate, I can't stop it just because its illegal in California. have to know before I stop the vehicle that it is illegal in Iowa. .
    You can stop that vehicle................Iowa issues 2 plates are both are required to be attached to the car................There are even laws as HOW they are to be attached

Also ----------don't cover ANY part of the plate

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    Eodcop, you are mistaking some things. 5202 does not apply because of the sections wording;

(a) A license plate issued by this state or any other jurisdiction within or without the United States shall be attached upon receipt and remain attached during the period of its validity to the vehicle for which it is issued while being operated within this state or during the time the vehicle is being held for sale in this state, or until the time that a vehicle with special or identification plates is no longer entitled to those plates; and a person shall not operate, and an owner shall not knowingly permit to be operated, upon any highway, a vehicle unless the license plate is so attached. A special permit issued in lieu of plates shall be attached and displayed on the vehicle for which the permit was issued during the period of the permit’s validity.

So on out of state vehicles no front plate may or may not be needed depending on how many that state issues.

The case law for that is covered here.

CHP officer stopped a car bearing only one Arizona license plate, which was in fact legal in Arizona. Vehicle Code section 5202 incorporates out-of-state vehicle requirements into California law, and Arizona unambiguously required only a single license plate on vehicles. HELD: A lawful stop could not be based on the officer's mistake of law. (White (2003) 107 Cal.App.4th 636, 643; Reyes (2011) 196 Cal.App.4th 856 [unlawful stop for single Florida rear license plate]; Twilley (9th Cir. 2000) 222 F.3d 1092, 1096.)

By the same token 4000a CVC requires all vehicles to be registered and a stop on a vehicle with expired out of state registration is reasonable even though it later turns out that state does not require annual registration

A California officer stopped a vehicle because its New Jersey license plates did not have current registration tags. As it turned out, none were required under New Jersey law. The vehicle stop was upheld, however, because such tags are required in California, Nevada, Arizona and Oregon, and even a reasonably well-trained officer cannot be expected to know the registration laws of every state. (Glick (1988) 203 Cal.App.3d 796, 801-804.)

All equipment laws in California apply to the all vehicles driven on our roadways, you just need to be aware of how the law is written. 5202 says all plates issued to the vehicle, it does not say all vehicles must have a front and rear plate.

Now let's look at some lighting laws.

24401 Whenever any motor vehicle is parked or standing upon a highway any headlamp that is lighted shall be dimmed or on the lower beam

This would apply to any vehicle left upon a California higway

24408 (a) Every new motor vehicle registered in this state after January 1, 1940, which has multiple-beam road lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator, which shall be lighted whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the headlamps is in use, and shall not otherwise be lighted

This would only apply to vehicles registered in this state.

In the end, know the laws you are enforcing. Some apply to all vehicles upon the roadway of this state, and some don't.

Leave a comment:

• Eodcop21
    replied
    A cop is not allowed to make a stop for an out of state equipment violation unless they are positive it is a violation in the out of state's jurisdiction. For example, in California, a front plate is required. But it is not required in several other states. If I see a, lets say Iowa, car without a front plate, I can't stop it just because its illegal in California. I have to know before I stop the vehicle that it is illegal in Iowa. A number of cops will probably disagree with me on this, but it is case law and they will be wrong. So as long as its legal in your state, you are OK. If you get a citation for it, contest it.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy8116
    replied
    Originally posted by SLDPD View Post
    Roll through the 5 boros and you might get stopped. Alot of Texas plates in NYC are dirty.
    That's the biggest thing. An out of state LP, an SUV, a highway. Drug interdiction time.

Reminds me of the time my parents and I were in a KY rental SUV driving from Cincy to WVA on 52 which was a rural highway that ran along the Ohio River at 11pm. Had an Ohio Trooper following me for MILES looking for a reason to run some interdiction.

Leave a comment:

• WoodCo.Explorer
    replied
    I wish my agency had a tint meter. Otherwise I would enforce it. Now for my personal car, holy cow, you can't see through my back windows! I had the tint guy install two separate layers of 5% limo tint over the existing factory tint! I love it. Here in ohio you can go as dark as you want for the rear windows. The "legal limit" for front driver and passenger windows is 50%.

Leave a comment:

• NYCDep
    replied
    A lot of people who live in NY register their cars in other states to try to get cheaper insurance. Having an out of state plate with dark tinted windows will get you stopped as fast as a NY plate.

P.S. we also require a front and rear plate.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    David Henry has a brother named Adam

Leave a comment:

• jchughes05
    replied
    Where I work, we don't normally write tickets for equipment violations (out of staters), even though we can. We also cannot write SEROs, (Repair Orders), but we can hammer you for out of state driver's license issues (susp., revoked, etc).

I can write warnings all day however for ANY equipment issue.

Leave a comment:

• stormz5192
    replied
    We've got way too much to do than enforce an equipment violation on an out of state tag. Although illegal in NJ, tinted windows aren't uncommon around here, included 70 % of the PD parking lot.

Leave a comment:

• hazmatt81
    replied
    There is a good case law for tint... US vs. Johnson

In short, I'd pull and investigate, make arrests if needed and let the courts do what courts do... interpret law.
    Last edited by hazmatt81; 12-16-2013, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
    I understand that. I was merely pointing out the basis for the proposed legislation as I was told.
    and I was pointing out the error of that proposal.

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Can you imagine the dismay of a prisoner in a New Hampshire penitentiary? Stand there all day stamping "LIVE FREE OR DIE" on license plates. LOL!
    Today the plates are normally PRINTED. The new process is really a big IBM photocopier..........on scotch-lite sticky paper.

Our operation went from a huge shop with all the metal presses to a small room with 3 copiers and an conveyer belt to the shipping room/warehouse
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• VA Dutch
    replied

Can you imagine the dismay of a prisoner in a New Hampshire penitentiary? Stand there all day stamping "LIVE FREE OR DIE" on license plates. LOL!

Leave a comment:

• kermit315
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    The cost of the license plate is about one dollar.....................and spread that over the 10 yr lifetime of a quality plate.

Even the cost of mailing that plate to the owner is less than a dollar
    I understand that. I was merely pointing out the basis for the proposed legislation as I was told.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
    IIRC, there was a state that was considering doing away with the front plate because it saved some amount of money.
    The cost of the license plate is about one dollar.....................and spread that over the 10 yr lifetime of a quality plate.

Even the cost of mailing that plate to the owner is less than a dollar

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3259 users online. 166 members and 3093 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X