300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shush View Post
    Now there is an exception. Section 32-5C-3 lists exceptions, which states an exception would be any vehicle not registered in this state. Not sure when that was codified though - I just looked it up out of curiosity.

Many thanks!! Like I said, it's been a long time. (eight years). Looks like it's been codified too. Thanks again.

Comment

Virginia's window tint laws apply to any vehicle "operated on a highway in the commonwealth" - regardless of where the car or truck may be registered. Cruising through here in a jet black coupe with limo tint might get you stopped for further discussion.

Me thinks that a grandma and a grandpa from Florida cruising down I-95 in their tan Grand Marquis will stand less chance of being pulled over than some young male weaving through traffic in his Acura Integra with dark tint and NY plates. Just sayin'.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I would actually hope you wouldnt.Yes other states have different laws. We also have a law in Texas about cars need a front license plate.Only state that has that law last i checked.

Any idea how many tickets we could write in a single day for people coming thru the state if we had the view of our state our laws heres a ticket ?

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
          I would actually hope you wouldnt.Yes other states have different laws. We also have a law in Texas about cars need a front license plate.Only state that has that law last i checked.?
          Nope Iowa needs a front license plate also.

However registration plates are "per home state" in Iowa.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thats right. I believe 18 or 19 dont require any front plate still but even thats dropping fast. We like our cameras to get both plates for those nice red light runners.

Nice for probable cause for a stop also ,yet weve kinda been told to check the back plate and if its out of state let it go if the issuing state doesnt require both.
            Last edited by jdthor; 12-04-2013, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Virginia's window tint laws apply to any vehicle "operated on a highway in the commonwealth" - regardless of where the car or truck may be registered. Cruising through here in a jet black coupe with limo tint might get you stopped for further discussion.

Me thinks that a grandma and a grandpa from Florida cruising down I-95 in their tan Grand Marquis will stand less chance of being pulled over than some young male weaving through traffic in his Acura Integra with dark tint and NY plates. Just sayin'.
              This matches what I have seen around the Hampton Roads area.

I am getting the Mustang done when I get back from deployment, and am having it done to VA specs vice Florida, even though Florida allows me to go darker, just to avoid the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                I would actually hope you wouldnt.Yes other states have different laws. We also have a law in Texas about cars need a front license plate.Only state that has that law last i checked.

Any idea how many tickets we could write in a single day for people coming thru the state if we had the view of our state our laws heres a ticket ?
                Personally, I feel that state issued (or not, as in the case of Florida) front plates versus consumer applied window tint are two different ballparks. If the plate is an out of stater and I know they dont require both plates, absent another reason, I wont mess with them.

Comment

Massachusetts and every state on the east coast except NC and possibly SC, requires front plates. The only exception here in Mass are old green lettered plate series that were issued yrs ago, phased out but still all over the place. If they come through your state and you're curious, they are legal by mass law. Of course your state law takes precedent but just a tidbit FYI. As far as the tint goes, we're at 35%. If a vehicle has out of state plates and dark tint, by statute we can't initiate a stop based on that.

Comment

Roll through the 5 boros and you might get stopped. Alot of Texas plates in NYC are dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by usmc_0352 View Post
                      Massachusetts and every state on the east coast except NC and possibly SC, requires front plates. The only exception here in Mass are old green lettered plate series that were issued yrs ago, phased out but still all over the place. If they come through your state and you're curious, they are legal by mass law. Of course your state law takes precedent but just a tidbit FYI. As far as the tint goes, we're at 35%. If a vehicle has out of state plates and dark tint, by statute we can't initiate a stop based on that.
                      SC is still rear plates only.

Comment

Originally posted by usmc_0352 View Post
                        Massachusetts and every state on the east coast except NC and possibly SC, requires front plates.

PA, GA, FL, DE and WV (as well as SC and NC) do not require front tags - but they seem to be in the minority of states. As "photo law enforcement" becomes more popular, I would not be surprised to see all states gravitate towards mandating rear AND front plates.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

PA, GA, FL, DE and WV (as well as SC and NC) do not require front tags - but they seem to be in the minority of states. As "photo law enforcement" becomes more popular, I would not be surprised to see all states gravitate towards mandating rear AND front plates.
                          IIRC, there was a state that was considering doing away with the front plate because it saved some amount of money. I dont remember the state though. I will see if I can find the story again.

ETA: It was Texas.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...83R&Bill=HB657
                          Last edited by kermit315; 12-08-2013, 05:24 AM.

Comment

I stand corrected. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
                              IIRC, there was a state that was considering doing away with the front plate because it saved some amount of money.
                              The cost of the license plate is about one dollar.....................and spread that over the 10 yr lifetime of a quality plate.

Even the cost of mailing that plate to the owner is less than a dollar
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                                The cost of the license plate is about one dollar.....................and spread that over the 10 yr lifetime of a quality plate.

Even the cost of mailing that plate to the owner is less than a dollar
                                I understand that. I was merely pointing out the basis for the proposed legislation as I was told.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3408 users online. 177 members and 3231 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X